Singapore Expats Forum

Best place to live in the world and why?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 5:55 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:Well SMS, there is a lack of understanding and communication here between the expats and locals, I have been known to help strangers without any thoughts of whatever re-payments, and i am sure that there are also like minded expats that would do the same, there are also locals that act without sense, but more towards people that they don't know, if they knew them, there would be courtesy and all... we locals are generally more sensitive than superfical

No, I beg to differ. We understand fully and until the "significant minority" of locals learn to try to communicate the problem will always exist.

You see, the sad part of it is, a country is tagged internationally by it's citizenry. And like most countries in the world, the bad apples are a small portion of the whole. Accordingly, the tags that a country gets are usually because that small percentage is much larger than most other countries. Therefore that "Bad" trait sticks out like a sore thumb and there you go, a country gets tagged by its bad habits. Singapore is noted for several (and I have to agree it is not the majority but it is a significant enough number that that is what the tourists take back with them to their homes and that's what the tell their neighbours about. So by the time the neighbours come here, enroute to their ultimate destinations (remember the average tourist stay in Singapore is only 3 days), their minds are preset to see the bad, which of course they do, thereby reinforcing the perceptions. It becomes a vicious circle that is self-induced by a portion of the population here. Oh, the tags? Rudness and inconsiderate. A fine city (because of lack of consideration for others, they have to resort to fines to halt the anti-social activity). The Singapore Buffet Syndrome. The foreign hotelier's worse nightmare (Famous for stealing anything not nailed down in the room). All this has been told and retold around the world in the various media since I got here and that's a long time ago.

And no, you have it the wrong way around. It's more superficial than sensitive. Otherwise, expats wouldn't get the all to common questions about how much they earn, how much is their rent, yadda, yadda, yadda. Where is the sensitivity there? And the excuse for anti-social behaviour? It's being pragmatic. The favorite catchphrase to explain everything that is viewed as either rude or inconsiderate. (cutting queues - good example - pragmatic "If I cut the queue, I get it and you don't, therefore it made good sense for me to be rude and cut the queue otherwise I wouldn't have gotten any!") Anti-social but that's okay cause we're just being pragmatic.

But, I agree, it is a minority of the population........

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ev-disinfection » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 1:29 am

Well SMS, I agree with what you just wrote, and was doing some thinking...
Hmmmm...... The local people who mingle with expats, might be the minority that you have spoken about, with superfical slang (accent), some with poor diction. Think about it, if you don't mingle with expats, you would not even have a chance to ask them about their salary and rents... :D

The locals that I was speaking about don't mingle with the expats and keep mostly to their own close knit family and friends, and "most" of them are Ok people.

"People will always hear about the soldier who went into battle and coming out handicapped, but will never hear of those who went in fighting and came home in perfect shape"

Nice chatting with you... Hi, my name is Terence and I don't want to know of how much you earn and the rent you pay.... lol

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 1:47 am

Just for the record. there are very few people that don't have some sort of interaction with westerners here now. Especially seeing the the last bastion of the insular Singaporean as been well and truly breached. That being the HDB estate. I don't rent by the way, I own my own HDB Flat in Serangoon North. I am also a member of the local residents committee as well as a member of the Civil Emergency Response Team for the GRC. I am also a Caucasian and a PR. I am also known by sight, if not by name, to almost all middle aged or older Chinese speaking folks as well. :wink:

But it's nice to have you on the forum. We do hope you will stick around and import more local wisdom as well. We are always learning here.

sms

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macaroonie » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 7:41 am

Welcome to the forum terence. we are always interested in learning new things, especially from a local perspective. I have met some wonderful locals, so open minded and really kind people so i know there is some truth to what you say. I guess it's always a matter of perception and only with age and experience does one gain the helicopter view of life.

caireann

Postby caireann » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 8:24 am

Best place is probably Medellin, Colombia.
Its realtively cheap, the food is good and then the CLIMATE... you got every day ard 25-28 degreesC there. at night ard 15 degC. So, its not to hot and not too cold.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 9:03 am

Course the average life expectancy there isn't too good. But what the hell, at least you can go high as a kite getting there. They might find your head in an esky by the side of the road if you aren't careful though.

Your half dozen one liners are a bit suspect I must admit......

tic....toc....tic....toc.....

caireann

Postby caireann » Sat, 26 Dec 2009 8:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Course the average life expectancy there isn't too good. But what the hell, at least you can go high as a kite getting there. They might find your head in an esky by the side of the road if you aren't careful though.

Your half dozen one liners are a bit suspect I must admit......

tic....toc....tic....toc.....
Rumours all rumours.

Segue
Regular
Regular

Postby Segue » Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:44 pm

Ok let me be the lone voter for Singapore as the best place in the world to live.

I'm a PR been here for four years. This is the 5th country I've lived outside of my home country (USA). I've also traveled extensively and seen many good and bad places around the world. I want to find a way to make Singapore my home for the rest of my life.

Yes, we have kiasu behavior but I find in general Singaporeans are kind and understanding people. I have no problems making friends with locals and they seem to go out of their way to extend their welcome to me joining their social circles. I've not experienced this to the same degree in other countries I have lived in. As a westerner, I feel almost no cultural barriers.

Singapore has truly a world class infrastructure and rule of law that gives me confidence of safe life and fair treatment. To see how well the country weathered the global financial crisis gives me confidence that my wealth here is rock solid.

Its a global city that has done better than most on building a level of respect in each others diversity in religion and race. Many kinds of interesting foods and cultures can be experienced without having ever to get on a plane.

The tropical weather is good for ones health and every day warm and comfortable.

Singapore gets my vote.

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ev-disinfection » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 1:04 am

Segue wrote:Ok let me be the lone voter for Singapore as the best place in the world to live.

I'm a PR been here for four years. This is the 5th country I've lived outside of my home country (USA). I've also traveled extensively and seen many good and bad places around the world. I want to find a way to make Singapore my home for the rest of my life.

Yes, we have kiasu behavior but I find in general Singaporeans are kind and understanding people. I have no problems making friends with locals and they seem to go out of their way to extend their welcome to me joining their social circles. I've not experienced this to the same degree in other countries I have lived in. As a westerner, I feel almost no cultural barriers.

Singapore has truly a world class infrastructure and rule of law that gives me confidence of safe life and fair treatment. To see how well the country weathered the global financial crisis gives me confidence that my wealth here is rock solid.

Its a global city that has done better than most on building a level of respect in each others diversity in religion and race. Many kinds of interesting foods and cultures can be experienced without having ever to get on a plane.

The tropical weather is good for ones health and every day warm and comfortable.

Singapore gets my vote.

That was exactly what I had wanted to say...
You my friend, get my vote and approval to be a citizen...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 7:07 am

Yes, it was a good post, but I'll bet he's not married to a minority here. What he doesn't see or hasn't felt yet doesn't exist. :?

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ev-disinfection » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 9:16 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yes, it was a good post, but I'll bet he's not married to a minority here. What he doesn't see or hasn't felt yet doesn't exist. :?

Well, you know what they say..."What you don't see or hear yet or never, won't hurt you" lol

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:51 am

The best eye-opener in the world is going to another country where you aren't the majority and try living as a minority. This will really open you eyes. Policies developed by the Majority never actually realize the effects of their policies as they are not affected by them.

As a Caucasian in the US, I wasn't aware of the problems of Segregation until 1964 when H Rap Brown incited the first race riot in the US in a little town 16 miles from my home (Cambridge Maryland - Interesting little known fact - the standoff was on a street in Cambridge named "Race St."). It took me and most of America almost two decades of riots and burnings and destruction and killings to come to terms with the fact that the laws were wrong.

When I came to Singapore 27 years ago and planted roots, it was as a 2%'r. "Others" in those days. My original NRIC had "Others" on it. Today is has Caucasian.

Now, according the papers this morning, all races will now be recognized from the birth of a child ('bout time) including "Eurasian" for those from mixed marriages or either the mother or father's race and it can be changed up to the age of 15. A departure for sure as the former definition for "Eurasian" was different for Singapore than the rest of the world. In addition, a departure from the traditional Patriarchal Society as well. Anyway, living here as a minority for a quarter of a century has been a real eye-opener in how the majority tramples on the minorities without even knowing it.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:43 am

Very good post, SMS, thanks for sharing.

Hmm, best place to live . . .

Having moved countries every three to four years since birth (my five/six years in Singapore were the longest stretch in one go) it is difficult to pinpoint one place in particular.

Up to my teen years I would say Detroit . . . bizarre choice it may be, but after having my testicles squeezed by all and sundry in my pram by Thais, being bombed out in Lebanon, seeing abject poverty in Tanzania etc... Detroit (Grosse Pointe) was a green oasis of calm, friendliness and McDonalds. Neighbours spending time outdoors, Little League, Squirts Hockey, seasons . . .

Simply brilliant memories . . .

Teens to twens a tie between Germany and Sydney . . . Germany for the girls, parties and hopping to other countries in my girlfriend's old Renault pistol-grip manual. Sydney for the weather and beaches, university and 'home' (and the girls). Another nice place was Chile, among others . . .

Working life . . . tough one . . . a tie between Singapore or Sydney from far too many choices . . .

As road.not.taken says, Singapore is not for everyone but then no place really is . . . I've found Sydney to be far too far away from the rest of the world to make it that attractive for work, not as cosmopolitan as we'd all like to believe it is, not as advanced in many aspects as we'd think . . . so:

Singapore!

(Now SMS will tell us about his experiences during the war . . . the US civil war. :wink: )

'nuff said Image

nyc4ever

Postby nyc4ever » Sat, 02 Jan 2010 3:50 am

nyc is my top choice (i'm from there). but i am liking sg more and more every day. sf is also great.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 02 Jan 2010 2:40 pm

nyc4ever wrote:nyc is my top choice (i'm from there). but i am liking sg more and more every day. sf is also great.

You're from there? Whew, thanks . . . we were trying to figure out which part of India you are from.

Care to share with us why you feel 'nyc' is the best place or is it just because 'you're from there'?

'nuff said Image