US Food Franchises and Restaurants in Singapore

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Post Reply
dghazer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:52 pm

US Food Franchises and Restaurants in Singapore

Post by dghazer » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 1:15 pm

I am a student in the US conducting some research on restaurants (fast food in particular) doing business in foreign markets. The thread about opening a restaurant caught my attention and I thought this might be the perfect place to gather some insights.

I am curious as to what you would say is the general perception in Singapore of the brands such as McDonalds and Subway and any other US based franchises/restaurants. It seems that they have been successful by the numbers, but I have never been to Singapore and have no idea what the attitude towards these restaurants are. It seems that in a place with so many wonderful food options, it is odd that these companies have done so well.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to where I may be able to learn more without making the 30 hour plane trip would be great.

missymassy86
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 12:33 am
Contact:

Re: US Food Franchises and Restaurants in Singapore

Post by missymassy86 » Tue, 08 Dec 2009 12:43 am

Hi dghazer,

Yes we have many american franchises in singapore like Burger King, Starbucks and so on.. The reason to some of these franchises are successful, to my point of view, some of them like mcdonalds and kfc, burger king are willing to go far for the MUIS Halal certification so that the muslims too can eat at their restaurant.

Mcdonalds has been one of the most popular fast food restaurant in singapore because the students too would go there to eat while they do the group studies, this has become one of their social things to do. Everywhere in singapore, there are malls. You can malls everywhere and each malls they definitely will have fast food restaurants nearby. That makes them successful because it is convenience. Mcdonalds and KFC and also pizzahut, do home deliveries and for mcdonalds they do 24hours home deliveries.

Well you can ask more questions if u like.. This is all what i know.. :)
dghazer wrote:I am a student in the US conducting some research on restaurants (fast food in particular) doing business in foreign markets. The thread about opening a restaurant caught my attention and I thought this might be the perfect place to gather some insights.

I am curious as to what you would say is the general perception in Singapore of the brands such as McDonalds and Subway and any other US based franchises/restaurants. It seems that they have been successful by the numbers, but I have never been to Singapore and have no idea what the attitude towards these restaurants are. It seems that in a place with so many wonderful food options, it is odd that these companies have done so well.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to where I may be able to learn more without making the 30 hour plane trip would be great.

dghazer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:52 pm

Post by dghazer » Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for the quick response. I am curious as to the deliveries and hours of the restaurants you mentioned.

Is it commonplace for most fast food to be open 24 hours or just in specific parts of the city? Also, do many restaurants offer delivery in Singapore? In the US, it's basically pizza and Chinese restaurants that deliver.

Do you think McDonalds and KFC do significant delivery and how long does it normally take for deliveries?

I know that I am throwing a lot of questions out there, but I really do appreciate your sharing as this is much more informative that scouring random magazine and journal articles. Thanks again.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:19 am

Most all of the American franchises you've seen can or have been found here. Some, like A&W Root Beer can still be found in KL. Chili's is very popular. Kenny Rogers roasted chicken is available here but not in the US.

Delivery is usually provided by motorcycle riders who get a couple of bucks for making the delivery... within a 5 km radius or so.

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9916
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: US Food Franchises and Restaurants in Singapore

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Dec 2009 6:11 am

missymassy86 wrote:The reason to some of these franchises are successful, to my point of view, some of them like mcdonalds and kfc, burger king are willing to go far for the MUIS Halal certification so that the muslims too can eat at their restaurant.
I have the impression that many Singaporeans think about these chains almost as of some kinds of fancy restaurants, a fashionable place to be. Same applies to Ikea and many "Western" brands. What you said could contribute significantly (so be a reason for success) if the fraction of Muslims eating out at the food chains was significant. Is it really the case?

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 2:47 pm

Re: US Food Franchises and Restaurants in Singapore

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 09 Dec 2009 3:47 pm

x9200 wrote: I have the impression that many Singaporeans think about these chains almost as of some kinds of fancy restaurants,
Troll. I hardly think anyone thinks of MickeyDs as being a 'fancy' anything . . . TROLL
......................................................

'nuff said Image

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9916
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: US Food Franchises and Restaurants in Singapore

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Dec 2009 8:10 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
x9200 wrote: I have the impression that many Singaporeans think about these chains almost as of some kinds of fancy restaurants,
Troll. I hardly think anyone thinks of MickeyDs as being a 'fancy' anything . . . TROLL
:oops: :cry:
But seriously, there is a clear trend towards many Western products that goes beyond any pragmatic choice whether we call it fancy or not. Similar but more focused obsession hides behind the phrase "made in Japan".

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests