Singapore Expats Forum

Transit visa @ changi airport

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Transit visa @ changi airport

Postby blue_thunder » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 9:17 am

My friend is transiting via Singapore this weekend from Oz. He holds Oz PR & will be stayin here for 1.5 days can someone throw in details on the transit visa.ICA does not have any details on transit visa.

Pardon me for any typos as this post was done using handheld device.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:40 am

I don't think there is a 'transit visa' for your friend's requirement. He either needs a visa or he doesn't (by that I mean if his passport issuing country requires a vis for enrty into Singapore) , irrespective of the time he spends in Singapore

'nuff said Image

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:59 am

Vaucluse wrote:I don't think there is a 'transit visa' for your friend's requirement. He either needs a visa or he doesn't (by that I mean if his passport issuing country requires a vis for enrty into Singapore) , irrespective of the time he spends in Singapore

Changing my post, as I got an update from the ICA Office via email.
Damn they are so efficient, I got their reply within an hour. :shock:

**************************Email

Sent: Monday, 7 December 2009 2:41 PM
To: Me
Subject: Re: Singapore VISA.

Dear
We refer to your email dated 7 Dec 2009.
We are pleased to inform that from 1 October 2005, Singapore has launched a promotional 96-hour ‘Visa Free Transit Facility’ (VFTF) for travellers who are in transit to or from any third country.
To avail of the facility, travellers should have a valid onward air ticket for a flight departing in the next four days and a valid third country visa or long term pass with a validity period of at least one month, issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, UK, Germany, Switzerland or USA.
However, entry is not guaranteed, as the visitor should comply with the entry requirements which include, holding a valid passport with at least six months validity, entry visas (if applicable), confirmed return/onward tickets, sufficient funds for a four-day stay in Singapore and entry facilities, including visas, to their onward destinations.

The promotional VFTF is introduced to encourage transit passengers to break journey and visit places in Singapore.

Thank you

Yours sincerely,

Customer Services Officer
for COMMISSIONER
IMMIGRATION & CHECKPOINTS AUTHORITY
ICA Feedback/415546
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 2:45 pm

blue_thunder wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:I don't think there is a 'transit visa' for your friend's requirement. He either needs a visa or he doesn't (by that I mean if his passport issuing country requires a vis for enrty into Singapore) , irrespective of the time he spends in Singapore

Changing my post, as I got an update from the ICA Office via email.
Damn they are so efficient, I got their reply within an hour. :shock:

**************************Email

Sent: Monday, 7 December 2009 2:41 PM
To: Me
Subject: Re: Singapore VISA.

Dear
We refer to your email dated 7 Dec 2009.
We are pleased to inform that from 1 October 2005, Singapore has launched a promotional 96-hour ‘Visa Free Transit Facility’ (VFTF) for travellers who are in transit to or from any third country.
To avail of the facility, travellers should have a valid onward air ticket for a flight departing in the next four days and a valid third country visa or long term pass with a validity period of at least one month, issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, UK, Germany, Switzerland or USA.
However, entry is not guaranteed, as the visitor should comply with the entry requirements which include, holding a valid passport with at least six months validity, entry visas (if applicable), confirmed return/onward tickets, sufficient funds for a four-day stay in Singapore and entry facilities, including visas, to their onward destinations.

The promotional VFTF is introduced to encourage transit passengers to break journey and visit places in Singapore.

Thank you

Yours sincerely,

Customer Services Officer
for COMMISSIONER
IMMIGRATION & CHECKPOINTS AUTHORITY
ICA Feedback/415546

It is only for Nationals of commonwealth states, if your friend is from India he will probably need a visa, The transit visa lasts for 15 days and cost 20$

Here you go 15 days http://www.allindia.com/hcisin/visas.htm

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 3:09 pm

Yes my friend is an Indian national. As per my history knowledge ,India was/is a part of Commonwealth group. To confirm I did refer to their website.
http://www.thecommonwealth.org/Internal/191086/142227/members/
I pasted only a part of the email in tha above post and removed his personal deatils from the mail while posting. :???: