Singapore Expats Forum

Motherboard for Sony Vaio(2007 model)

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Motherboard for Sony Vaio(2007 model)

Postby blue_thunder » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 1:16 pm

Has anyone replaced the motherboard on your Sony vaio (out of warranty). I suspect the power module on my motherboard is faulty which requires replacement of the motherboard.
I presume it may cost more than S$500 .
I wish to know the approximate cost and decide on whether its worth replacing @ such expense. If yes then I would dump this notebook and buy new one.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

mrlily
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2009
Contact:

Postby mrlily » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 7:14 pm

that wouldn't have happened if you bought a dell now would it!

joke.

are you sure it is the "power module" thingy?
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Postby blue_thunder » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 9:01 pm

mrlily wrote:that wouldn't have happened if you bought a dell now would it!

joke.

are you sure it is the "power module" thingy?


I dont use it btw...that is my sisters notebok... i stick to mac
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

mrlily
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2009
Contact:

Postby mrlily » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 9:18 pm

mac? where do you stick it?
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Postby blue_thunder » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 8:12 am

mrlily wrote:mac? where do you stick it?


my lap...guess thats why its called laptop ..lol :lol:
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Deetz
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat, 05 Sep 2009

Postby Deetz » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 9:23 am

Check around I found a nice company when I was in Germany that helped me diagnose and fix two old broken IBM machines. One was a problem powering up the screen forget exactly what the other the screen was FUBAR both out of warranty.

It's a pretty lucrative business, buy/repair certain models take a keyboard from this, a screen from that, case from this.

See if there's anything like that around as you might get the best price. It's definitely a cheaper route then going to the manufacturer.

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Postby blue_thunder » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 10:43 am

Deetz wrote:Check around I found a nice company when I was in Germany that helped me diagnose and fix two old broken IBM machines. One was a problem powering up the screen forget exactly what the other the screen was FUBAR both out of warranty.

It's a pretty lucrative business, buy/repair certain models take a keyboard from this, a screen from that, case from this.

See if there's anything like that around as you might get the best price. It's definitely a cheaper route then going to the manufacturer.


I had thought about this option before but this may backfire as well. :cry:

What if the repair shop removes the genuine parts & replace them with fake ones...thats the reason for sticking to the manufacturer.. :lol:
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9294
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Motherboard for Sony Vaio(2007 model)

Postby x9200 » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:02 am

blue_thunder wrote:Has anyone replaced the motherboard on your Sony vaio (out of warranty). I suspect the power module on my motherboard is faulty which requires replacement of the motherboard.
I presume it may cost more than S$500 .
I wish to know the approximate cost and decide on whether its worth replacing @ such expense. If yes then I would dump this notebook and buy new one.

Check directly with Sony (via email/contact form) - they are usually very responsive and may give you price indication already. This will the most expensive option. Then look through Ebay for that specific MB to get the 2nd hand price. There are also some local repair shops at the back corridors of SLS but Vaios are or at least used to be pretty specific (like Dell in earlier years).
There is also a place in Peninsula Shopping Center with tons of used laptop parts and with an online catalogue:
http://www.pchub.com/uph/

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Re: Motherboard for Sony Vaio(2007 model)

Postby blue_thunder » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:02 pm

x9200 wrote:
blue_thunder wrote:Has anyone replaced the motherboard on your Sony vaio (out of warranty). I suspect the power module on my motherboard is faulty which requires replacement of the motherboard.
I presume it may cost more than S$500 .
I wish to know the approximate cost and decide on whether its worth replacing @ such expense. If yes then I would dump this notebook and buy new one.

Check directly with Sony (via email/contact form) - they are usually very responsive and may give you price indication already. This will the most expensive option. Then look through Ebay for that specific MB to get the 2nd hand price. There are also some local repair shops at the back corridors of SLS but Vaios are or at least used to be pretty specific (like Dell in earlier years).
There is also a place in Peninsula Shopping Center with tons of used laptop parts and with an online catalogue:
http://www.pchub.com/uph/


I managed to the get the quote from Sony and it goes like this...

Cost of MB : S$520
Svc Charge: S$120
GST : S$ 45
==============
Total: S$685/- :x

I think i will top up another 200 bucks and get a branded netbook for the repair cost.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:06 pm

If you can strip it down and get the name of the part you need, you can buy it seperately and have the guy on the first floor in Sim Lim solder it on for you while you wait. Try the online manual for a diagram of how to strip it down. You should be able to get it done for much less 150$ tops
Last edited by ksl on Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Postby blue_thunder » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:13 pm

ksl wrote:If you can strip it down and get the name of the part you need, you can buy it seperately and have the guy on the first floor in Sim Lim solder it on for you while you wait.


I was not able to locate the part number for this MB...will perform the surgery by this weekend..
Since the warranty period is over...no harm in performing the surgery...

I regret buying this crap now :x ...If it had failed due to excessive usage then I would be glad to replace it...but it was seldom used in the last 2 yrs..

I should stick only apple which had not given any trouble for the last 5 yrs with 2 macbooks. :wink:
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:16 pm

blue_thunder wrote:
ksl wrote:If you can strip it down and get the name of the part you need, you can buy it seperately and have the guy on the first floor in Sim Lim solder it on for you while you wait.


I was not able to locate the part number for this MB...will perform the surgery by this weekend..
Since the warranty period is over...no harm in performing the surgery...

I regret buying this crap now :x ...If it had failed due to excessive usage then I would be glad to replace it...but it was seldom used in the last 2 yrs..

I should stick only apple which had not given any trouble for the last 5 yrs with 2 macbooks. :wink:
There is also an Indian guy doing computer electronic repairs in Sim Lim, but I cannot remember which floor he is on. May also be the motherboard battery that's run flat some last 2 years some 3 years

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Postby blue_thunder » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:23 pm

ksl.

I m worried abt getting it done as SLS...owning to the fact that the OEM parts may be replaced for duplicate ones. Will try my hand on fixing this damn thing. If it fails then will give it for charity :???:
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:35 pm

blue_thunder wrote:ksl.

I m worried abt getting it done as SLS...owning to the fact that the OEM parts may be replaced for duplicate ones. Will try my hand on fixing this damn thing. If it fails then will give it for charity :???:
If you fail, let me have a go, I've done many desk tops, and i have 2 dead laptops!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34659
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 3:31 pm

ksl wrote:If you fail, let me have a go, I've done many desk tops, and i have 2 dead laptops!


:lol: Not very promising sounding for trying to fix his lappy is it! :P


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests