Singapore Expats Forum

Could be an interesting discussion

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Could be an interesting discussion

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:44 am

Listen to Senator Diane Savino's off the cuff speech in the New York Senate. While I have no real beliefs one way or another, I found her speech brilliant.

http://jezebel.com/5417973/heroine-aler ... te-senator

sms

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 3:56 pm

I vote "Aye"
Just me

DazzleBabe

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 6:41 pm

Why? :wink:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 6:45 pm

is it to the gay marriages or to the emancipation of women from the stepford model imposed upon by society?

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 7:29 pm

nakatago wrote:is it to the gay marriages or to the emancipation of women from the stepford model imposed upon by society?

More the later one I would think or a public cry of frustration over hypocrisy so common that transparent to everybody.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 9:56 pm

When I learned that gay men were legally 'adopting' (yes, adopting, as in: now I am your legal guardian & you are my dependent) their partners to ensure that as a couple they could help make end-of-life decisions and even be permitted in the room, while one of them lay dying... I knew. I knew without a doubt, 'gay marriage' (repulsive term) is the only way. People who love each other, regardless os sexual orientation should have the same rights in the eyes of the law. Reason number 467 I gladly pay taxes to the great state of Vermont. \:D/

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:12 pm

Church and State.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:13 pm

i know they don't call their union marriage in other governments but they are given the equivalent rights of a married man+woman. [citation needed]

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 10:05 am

nakatago wrote:i know they don't call their union marriage in other governments but they are given the equivalent rights of a married man+woman. [citation needed]

Children adoption inclusive?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:48 am

road.not.taken wrote:When I learned that gay men were legally 'adopting' (yes, adopting, as in: now I am your legal guardian & you are my dependent) their partners to ensure that as a couple they could help make end-of-life decisions and even be permitted in the room, while one of them lay dying... I knew. I knew without a doubt, 'gay marriage' (repulsive term) is the only way. People who love each other, regardless os sexual orientation should have the same rights in the eyes of the law. Reason number 467 I gladly pay taxes to the great state of Vermont. \:D/

Hear hear!

'nuff said Image

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nath21 » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 1:02 pm

Other than just flat discrimination the main sticking points seem to be:

Adoption;
Use of the term marriage;
Fertility treatment.

I personally believe marriage should be used by everyone who wants to make a committment otherwise people who dont get married in churches should be called civil ceremonies as well. Marriage is for love and also a contract of sharing of assets and liabilities, and provides the ability to make legal decisions which is important to couple gay or straight to make key decision in life, buying house, making medical decisions etc. Currently gay people must make good wills, leave power of attorny etc to their loved ones which dosent cover all aspects that they need most importantly recognitiion as an equal. Adoption and fertlity treatment are issues most people have strong feelings around one way or another.
I personally have no problems with adoption but I do with fertility where the donor is not one of the parents. That goes for straight or gay. The whole idea of anonymous donation is not fair to the kids they produce.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 13 Dec 2009 9:19 am

what a cracking speech and one up for the voice of reason !

Personally speaking who cares. The persuit of marital ties just comforts the insecure in their following of the readings of thier specific imaginary friend. a gram of genuine friendship and commitment is worth more than a ton of marriage certificates and jewelry to "prove" you have a partner.

It's an embarrasment that we as a race let religion into our politics and govern our daily lives. By all means believe in whatever you want but dont try and force youre values down everybody elses throat. You want to run your life according to age old written ramblings and "cherry pick" the good bits that apply to your modern day life. Fine

Guys and gals willing to sacrifice their lives for a country at war deserve to live their lives as they see fit and thats nobodies business but their's.