Singapore Expats

Evolve MMA

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
gl456

Post by gl456 » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 9:58 pm

I attended their trial class and also checked out their level 2 muay thai sparring class near Raffles Place. If you're into thai-bo or want to learn thai boxing for fitness, I would say Evolve is fine. The level 2 students were sparring with only gloves and shin guards. No helmets and I'm not even sure if they had mouth guards on. They were light contact sparring...even lighter than what you see in taekwondo classes. Unless you're part of their fight team, you're not going to get serious sparring there. If you want to learn serious muay thai, you might try some other gyms that specialize in muay thai that are much cheaper (for example Hilltop, BXG, Fightworks,etc)
They're much cheaper and you'll actually get to spar.

I haven't looked into too many BJJ places, but Impact MMA seems really good. Their brazilian instructor is from Checkmat in brazil and his instructions are very good. The only reason I didn't sign up there is because their muay thai classes only had beginners and the class catered to them.

rengade

Post by rengade » Sun, 22 May 2011 1:02 am

I train at evolve mma and i have also trained extensively in thailand at a few of the top pro camps like kaewsamrit and sitsongpeenong. i can tell you that evolve is the closest experience to thailand in terms authenticity. i have no clue what gl456 is talking about. maybe he can explain why the amateur students at evolve have yet to lose a fight in the singapore nationals. and the pro team is made of real world champions.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 May 2011 12:36 pm

rengade wrote:I train at evolve mma and i have also trained extensively in thailand at a few of the top pro camps like kaewsamrit and sitsongpeenong. i can tell you that evolve is the closest experience to thailand in terms authenticity. i have no clue what gl456 is talking about. maybe he can explain why the amateur students at evolve have yet to lose a fight in the singapore nationals. and the pro team is made of real world champions.

OH! And first post no less, Hope your technique is more subtle in the ring that it would seem to be here.....

tic...toc...tic...toc...

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rengade

Post by rengade » Sun, 22 May 2011 3:08 pm

What's wrong with being proud of where i train? my name is XXXXXX and i'm a paying student at Evolve - feel free to call them and check. are people not allowed to express their opinions on this site?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 May 2011 4:45 pm

Had I been sure you were advertising, you wouldn't have had a chance to reply, I would have just locked you out, EOS. We run a very tight ship and advertisers or those who smell like advertisers aren't welcome here.

When one registers, only to rebut "loudly" about something that has been fishy all along (advertising wise), It usually means a vested interest in said commercial enterprise. While your post smelled just like an advertiser as noted, I though I'd give you a chance to rebut. Normally an advertiser wont rebut as they know they've been caught out. You obviously haven't noted that this site is advertising free in the forum threads, have you? If you have, haven't you wondered why? Opinions are fine, but normally opinions are expressed by those who have been on the board for some time already, and not someone who just registered and makes only one post in order to chastise somebody that doesn't agree with somebody's POV.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gl456

Post by gl456 » Sun, 22 May 2011 10:13 pm

rengade wrote:I train at evolve mma and i have also trained extensively in thailand at a few of the top pro camps like kaewsamrit and sitsongpeenong. i can tell you that evolve is the closest experience to thailand in terms authenticity. i have no clue what gl456 is talking about. maybe he can explain why the amateur students at evolve have yet to lose a fight in the singapore nationals. and the pro team is made of real world champions.
Is one of the amateur students you're talking about Hadi Bin Omar? Funny he IS on their fight team AND described as the first Singaporean pro MMA fighter. Heck you can see his interview here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JPBaZpZ ... dded#at=12

Why does Evolve send out a pro fighter to compete against part-time "amateurs" (full-time college students) is really beyond me. I have not said anything inaccurate about training at Evolve. The training you get while being part of their Fight Team is completely different from what you would get being just a regular joe. Their sparring class for Level 2 students sucks donkey balls.

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Mon, 23 May 2011 1:08 pm

It is a bit fishy to post 1x and sounded like advertising this place..
2 of my friends who were a member in evolve though...said very similar things..the trainers are world champs..and one of them is now doing competitions..

i did one week trial class..it was good but too expensive for me and far from work;p

bateman

Post by bateman » Fri, 27 May 2011 10:57 am

to be honest nothing will be like training in thailand.

evolve has EASILY the best set of teachers in Singapore.... no questions - agree though below to develop as a fighter you'd need to be on their fight team else its not the same thing...

other gyms here - thai ones have the odd ok trainer but (im from the UK and have done muay thai for years and both competed and managed top fighters - PS this isnt an advert just providing back up for my opinion)
most muay thai gyms in Singapore arent very good. The standard is poor.

also Amateur in muay thai has no bearing on the standard of the fighters its purely the ruleset ie 4x2 minutes with pads on. The Amateur Tournaments have guys in them with 100s of pro fights like Andrei Kotsur, Yodseanklai Fairtex, pro k1 guys from oceania - so its very different to say Amateur Boxing where a Pro cant enter

Evolve is definately run as a business from what I can see - so wont appeal to all but the guys you get instruction from are world class.

If its just BJJ - as above Checkmat have a Black Belt here so worth looking at - but i guess numbers will mean more people to roll with at Evolve.

For muay thai depends what you want, you wont get a 3hr 250 baht session in singapore with a champ like you can in Bangkok - and as there is hardly any pro scene here the clubs arent geared towards it from what I have seen so far...

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Sat, 27 Apr 2013 4:09 pm

does impakt still have bjj? i looked on their website and it looks like they only have some striking classes now.. did the guy from checkmate leave?

Michael X
Regular
Regular

Post by Michael X » Thu, 02 May 2013 6:43 pm

I recently joined Evolve MMA, and have been very pleased with the level of instruction. As anyone who has been to their website knows their instructor team is the best in Asia, but as many others I did have concerns about the level of attention and real instruction I would get from these superstars. So far I am really impressed, and feel like I getting a lot of individual attention and learning legitimate martial arts skills.

I have been taking the BJJ and Muay Thai so far. Once my conditioning is up I am planning to start some of their wrestling classes which are run by a for US Olympic wrestler.

I would not hesitate to recommend Evolve, and I think it is filled with both casual and serious professional martial artists. Something for everyone.

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Mon, 06 May 2013 3:06 pm

yeah I walked past evolve at their far east square location. there's giant windows along the wall so i could see some of the training. looks like a really cool environment, for sure! they have a huge team of high-level instructors too. I wish i lived a little closer, woodlands is kinda far from raffles place!

i saw some of the sample videos for evolve online university on the evolve facebook. Michael x, is it the same instructors who teach at evolve where you train? might have to try to get my brother or my wife to train bjj and muay thai with me from home, then think about joining evolve once i get going training.

Michael X
Regular
Regular

Post by Michael X » Thu, 09 May 2013 4:35 pm

heliotropic365 wrote:yeah I walked past evolve at their far east square location. there's giant windows along the wall so i could see some of the training. looks like a really cool environment, for sure! they have a huge team of high-level instructors too. I wish i lived a little closer, woodlands is kinda far from raffles place!

i saw some of the sample videos for evolve online university on the evolve facebook. Michael x, is it the same instructors who teach at evolve where you train? might have to try to get my brother or my wife to train bjj and muay thai with me from home, then think about joining evolve once i get going training.
Yeah, same instructors at Evolve Uni as at Evolve MMA. I've just started fooling around with Evolve University as a supplement to my training at the physical location. I think it is really useful, and I am improving quite a bit. As long as you have some decent training partners, the online learning can definitely work. Let me know if you give it try. Curious to hear how it goes.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 May 2013 5:36 pm

tic...toc...tic...toc...

Doncha just love it when somebody comes on here pretending to be a newbie who has just joined a club and is all impressed and whatnot. "I would not hesitate to recommend Evolve......"

I reckon so considering he is one of the instructors there.

runman

Post by runman » Tue, 14 May 2013 6:59 am

Does evolve run boxing classes?

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Tue, 14 May 2013 6:32 pm

runman wrote:Does evolve run boxing classes?
yep, evolve has boxing classes.

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”