Singapore Expats Forum

Meeting up over the Chrstmas period?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Simon80

Meeting up over the Chrstmas period?

Postby Simon80 » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 3:18 pm

Hello everyone,

This Christmas period I have been landed with covering for team at work whilst they all go home to their families to enjoy the holidays. Most of my friends here are leaving to go home as well which leaves me at a bit of a loose end over the Christmas period. Wondering if there are people who are in the same situation or who are up for meeting up before, during or after the Xmas holidays for a few drinks.

I'm a 29 year old English expat who has been in Singapore for the past 6 months and always up for meeting new people. Would also really like to hear about any good suggestions for what to do on Christmas Day. the prospect of a microwave turkey dinner for one in front of the TV is just a little bit too depressing!

Cheers!

carolinemain

Postby carolinemain » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:53 am

Aw Simon that is so sad :cry:

While I have no suggestions for what to do on Christmas Day yet, getting together before xmas sounds like a plan to me. We should get some peeps together for a xmas party, or just a drink down the pub with a Christmas hat on :king: and maybe some crackers.

tulipnrose

Postby tulipnrose » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 10:53 pm

I would suggest organizing a house xmas party at someone place first, eat and drink a lot before heading out to somewhere to have fun ;)

byn
Regular
Regular

Postby byn » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:18 pm

sounds good :)

tulipnrose

Postby tulipnrose » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:23 pm

Yeah house party is always the best and easier to mingle and talk :)

byn
Regular
Regular

Postby byn » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:38 am

Agree. We can always meet up to mingle first. :)

carolinemain

Postby carolinemain » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:05 am

OK! Anyone have a house we can borrow? :wink:

byn
Regular
Regular

Postby byn » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:41 am

Mine can't. Sorry...

Else, we can always gather outside somewhere. :)

AliciaCC

Postby AliciaCC » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:15 pm

as far as i know, most of my friends are heading home for xmas, so glad to hear that there are someone stuck here just like me! keep me posted please. aliciachenbj@msn.com

tulipnrose

Postby tulipnrose » Tue, 08 Dec 2009 12:44 am

I do have a place and the key but its a friend condo. He is away for a month from this week.

bubbles_sg09

Re: Meeting up over the Chrstmas period?

Postby bubbles_sg09 » Tue, 08 Dec 2009 12:45 pm

Hello there simon
We are in the same boat..count me in on the party..been planning to have dinner alone!!! ...good thing i found peeps on the same boat.
email me at bubbles_sg09@yahoo.com

Simon80

Postby Simon80 » Wed, 09 Dec 2009 1:15 pm

Right then,

It looks as though there there are a few of us out there looking for a bit of Christmas cheer. Now, I am happy to host however my place isn't exactly huge (2 bedroom flat at Citylights, in fact its tiny but easy for 2 bachelors to keep clean) so I don't think we'll be able to put on an 8-course banquet or anything.

However we could potentially handle some late afternoon drinks with food. I'll provide the flat, an oven, ice and some base level of drinks and food and then if everyone else can bring a bottle or two and some bits of food we can take it from there. Figure we can have a few drinks around mine and then look for someplace to move on to afterwards if people are up for it.

I am very open to options so please do chip in with further ideas/requests and so on. Starters for 10 would be:

a) Does anyone have a better idea for a venue, if you do then I will be happy to help set-up/clean-up
b) Are people looking for a full roast with potatoes, Brussel sprouts and lashings of gravy? If so then maybe meeting up and a suggested restaurant would be a better idea
c) Does anyone have ideas about where to head to afterwards?

Let the people decide I say so please do carry on the thread. If you know of anyone else who is in the same situation the feel free to direct them to this post. If numbers start getting crazy then maybe we might have to reevaluate. For now I'm seeing about 5 people and then myself but there is room for more. Also, it might be wise for me to pass this by my flatmate as well so that he doesn't get a surprise on the day.

Plus, if anyone is up for a drink in the meantime just to check that I'm not a total freak trying to lure people to my flat on Christmas Day just to get them under the mistletoe then feel free to get in touch direct at simonbailey80@hotmail.com - coincidentally that's my name too.

I can almost feel the crimbo magic already.

Simon80

Postby Simon80 » Wed, 09 Dec 2009 1:24 pm

Also, do people what to do Christmas Day or would you rather Christmas Eve?

Either way I'm easy.

bubbles_sg09

Postby bubbles_sg09 » Wed, 09 Dec 2009 1:53 pm

Hey Simon,
Good Idea.....you can count me in on your plan. Lets ask for more peeps to join the party and lets plan together.

Those who are interested kindly add your name from the thread and repost it.

1. bubbles_sg09

byn
Regular
Regular

Postby byn » Wed, 09 Dec 2009 2:39 pm

bubbles_sg09 wrote:Hey Simon,
Good Idea.....you can count me in on your plan. Lets ask for more peeps to join the party and lets plan together.

Those who are interested kindly add your name from the thread and repost it.

1. bubbles_sg09

I'm in for Christmas eve. And yes, lets meet to see what and how I can contribute, not good at planning for such events. :p

My email/msn: robynsim@yahoo.com.sg

cheers! :)

1. bubbles_sg09
2. byn