Singapore Expats Forum

import motorcycle from malaysia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

johns1276

import motorcycle from malaysia

Postby johns1276 » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:28 am

hi, i know its quite exensive as are most vehicles here but they are cheaper than cars...i have read...,,,,has anyone imported a motorcycle from malaysia....or anywhere else but closer than uk....my thoughts are cheaper than importing from uk ......reduced likelyhood of damage in transit..unless i crash en route from malaysia!!!!...looking at a yam xt 660..if avaialble......anyway any info will help....john
js

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 7:21 pm

what a brilliant idea! ok, i am off to JB during the weekend and buy one and ride it over the causeway. yipeeee... cheapo moto for me.

me gonna get a yamaha pasola.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Postby curiousgeorge » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 7:33 pm

The actual cost of importing is made up of expenses in Singapore, not the shipping from another country.

For example, my import cost a total of $9000 to get on the road, of which only $1500 was shipping/crating/insurance.

For starters you will need the Certificate Of Compliance/Conformity for a new bike. This needs to have all the technical details and bike-specific emissions tests (note: not model-specific for the bike type, but the ACTUAL results for your bike). Without it you don't stand ANY chance of importing a vehicle.

My experience is well documented here http://f800gsrider.blogspot.com/2009/04/self-importing-motorbike-from-uk-to.html

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 8:35 pm

curiousgeorge, good blog. why is your bike in km/h? was it a grey import from europe? what's if it is in mph? would singapore allow mph speedo?

just the other day, i saw the pizzahut delivery honda cub with a JB registration number plate! the guy was doing his delivery for singapore pizzahut!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:40 pm

durain wrote: would singapore allow mph speedo?

just the other day, i saw the pizzahut delivery honda cub with a JB registration number plate! the guy was doing his delivery for singapore pizzahut!

Yes, my Honda Valkyrie was a parallel import from the US... speedo is in mph.

Common to see JB plates on delivery bikes... they also ride home to JB every night.

Major pain in the ass to import a bike.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... rcycle.pdf