Singapore Expats

what does dependant(s) mean exactly???

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:56 pm

what does dependant(s) mean exactly???

Post by tiyalynn » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:17 am

I am moving to Singapore and I have 2 kids and will be on my boyfriends work pass. my youngest child is my boyfriends but my oldest is from a previous relationship an my boyfriend has not adopted him or anyhting. Will it be a problem with my oldest son having my last name and not adopted by my BF.??

Do they allow dependants not married and have children, to live there on your partners work pass?

Should I be aware of anything before I come over?


Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 9:30 pm
Location: West Coast

Post by LondonLady » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 6:05 pm


We are in a similar situation. I originally moved to Singapore on an Employment pass with my son. My son was given a Dependancy pass based on my employment visa.
My boyfriend was already based out here for a year before we moved out to join him on his own EP.
I unfortunately was made redundant and as a result my employment pass and my sons dependancy pass were cancelled. My partner's employer applied for a LTSVP for myself (as we are not married) which runs alongside his employment pass and we contacted my son's school and they helped us apply for a students pass for my son. He therefore is here as such under his own merit and his visa status does not depend on my partners Employment pass.

I cant say for sure whether this would be the case for every family but hope it gives you a starting point anyway.


User avatar
Strong Eagle
Posts: 11661
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Answers: 9
Location: Off The Red Dot

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 7:47 pm

What do you mean you will be "on your boyfriend's workpass"? MOM is quite specific about who gets a dependents pass:

* Spouse; or
* Unmarried/legally adopted children under 21 years of age, including newborns

So, not married, no DP, maybe a long term visit pass (LTVP) for you. So, no work... if you get this pass at all.

The child that is his and yours can get a DP as a blood relative. The other child cannot as he/she is not legally adopted.

I really don't see how this is going to work. If you get married and/or prove common law, then you would get a DP and since the child is naturally yours, I suspect he/she would be issued one as well.

The desire on the part of some people to get as many of their extended family into Singapore as possible means that this will be a red flag area.

User avatar
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by durain » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 8:24 pm

another way is to get your kids to a school that is approved by the MOE. your kids will get a student pass and your LTVP will be based on that.

start reading... ... &secid=182

Posts: 202
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:04 am

Post by skye » Mon, 30 Nov 2009 6:31 am

Agree that if your boy is school-age, a student pass is the way to go. Once you find a school place, the school should be able to help you apply - it's mostly done online with ICA (not MOE like EP/DP applications) and you just have to go there to pick up the pass. A couple of friends have had to do that as even though their kids had lived with and been brought up by the 2nd husband/partner for years, they were not legally adopted so were not considered dependents for DP purposes.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest