Singapore Expats Forum

Going rate for filipino maids?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cgnoble

Going rate for filipino maids?

Postby cgnoble » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 7:51 pm

I have employed my Filipino maid for 2 years and we are happy with her and she gets on well with my kids. We are about to offer her an extension to her contract and I was wondering if it is standard to offer a salary rise and if so by how much?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 8:02 pm

No such thing really. We pay our maid boat loads, but she has tons of experience, has learned pastry baking in Italy, loves the kids and pets, and takes care of this barn of a house. She's probably on the top of the scale, but who really knows. Do you really care what other people pay their maids? If she is all you say, give her a good raise and sleep well a night.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:47 pm

absolutely agree with R.N.T. if someone is looking after my home and my kids, I really want them to be happy, we also pay top notch and have no regrets doing so, after all, it's still not a whole lot of money in the big picture, I would far rather that she really wants to stay working for us so we make it hard for her to be tempted to look elsewhere. I also do not care what others pay, my focus is on what it takes to keep her happy.

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 5:52 pm

When we first employed an fdw, agency advised we offer a 10% pay increase at renewal if we were happy with her work. Why anyone would renew if they weren't happy, I don't know. We have given 10% rise plus completing contract performance bonus each time - now renewed 3 times so salary is a lot higher but worth it to have someone who fits into the household well and knows our routine. I've met a few people who get a new fdw every couple of years, fresh off the plane to keep costs down, but don't know how they can find it worthwhile when they have to train the new lady in their ways from scratch.