Singapore Expats Forum

It's that time of year again and

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

It's that time of year again and

Postby EADG » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 9:19 am

Yes - with Thanksgiving almost here, for those of us who care but not enough to do it ourselves, where to get a turkey, or part of one?

I mean one already done. Like DiPaolos or somewhere like that.

The Brewerks thing last year was a bit of a madhouse, so thinking of doing something a little more sane at home instead.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 9:33 am

I think some of the butchers here do them but I've always cooked my own and will be doing so again this year as well (one of two every year - the other at Xmas). We generally don't have it on Thanksgiving per se but on the closest weekend (will be Saturday this year).

You might also inquire at Cold Storage or The Marketplace as I'm pretty sure that they also provide that service as well. I know Cold Storage does it for Xmas and they may well do it for Tksgvg as well.

sms

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: It's that time of year again and

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 9:54 am

EADG wrote:Yes - with Thanksgiving almost here, for those of us who care but not enough to do it ourselves, where to get a turkey, or part of one?

I mean one already done. Like DiPaolos or somewhere like that.

The Brewerks thing last year was a bit of a madhouse, so thinking of doing something a little more sane at home instead.

Hoe Brothers Catering

He even lifts the skin off, carves it, then puts the skin back on

Delivers too :wink:

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:21 am

Depending on your budget, I know most 5 star hotels like Hyatt and Marriott hotels have ready cooked and heated one. If I am not wrong, the one that Cold Storage and Market Place are cooked, but not heated. This mean you will need to warm it up in your oven before serving, whereas for Hyatt, you can request for them to warm it up for you.

Of course, it all comes with a fancier price tag.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:09 pm

What's that supermarket called behind four-floors-of-whores, aka Orchard Towers?

They do a nice pre-prepared Christmas spread, possibly also Thanksgiving.

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:17 pm

It used to be Jason's but I've not been in O/T for years so don't know if it's still there or not. Jason's is part of the Cold Storage Group anyway.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 2:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It used to be Jason's but I've not been in O/T for years so don't know if it's still there or not. Jason's is part of the Cold Storage Group anyway.

It is Jason's and both they and CS have turkeys. I've got my deep fry gear ready to go in case anyone wants to make a deep fried turkey... about 12 lbs max, maybe a tad more.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 5:04 pm

Wasn't Thanksgiving over a month ago? I still remember it being the second Monday in October from my years in Canada.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 7:17 pm

We're talking about American Thanksgiving. The real one. :wink:

Honestly Hoe's delivers the thing carved and piping hot, screw Jason's, they're overpriced and not as good. American Club does a nice one as well.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 7:24 pm

road.not.taken wrote:We're talking about American Thanksgiving. The real one. :wink:

yap, it is hard to take the credit of giving thanks to an arbitrary mythical being for exploiting the honest intention of help from the american natives, cheating them, disease them, imposing another myth to them, killing them and forcing them from their land...

chief seattle letter very much clears up that the natives got nothing to give thanks about...

actually you guys who partake on that farce should call that day: apologies giving...

ha ha ha!
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 7:30 pm

Oh God, stuff a sock in it, will you? Your diatribes are predictably monotonous. Dogs better than 12 year old boys? A rant about... what exactly? Who cares, it's mind-numbingly boring.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 7:33 pm

Probably no worse that what the Spanish did in South & Central America is it. :P

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 7:35 pm

There's a long list there, SMS. No one's going to take the fun out of my Thanksgiving... I'll be on my 3rd bird by the time we roast one up in Bali on Thursday. I've got a Butterball brining for tomorrow's Fakesgiving... :)

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 8:32 pm

Sounds like the Hoe's have it, and will pass on the Ho's. Thanks r.n.t.

But if SE's have a the real thing, I might just pop on by....
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 9:53 pm

I got a fancy catalog from fairprice sitting in front of me and the first page is covered in fancy turkeys, hams from the deli sections, all have been cooked just requiring re heating and the first 500 customers gets a free bottle of bubbly, bet when you call they will say you are the 501 person to order.