Singapore Expats Forum

Automated taxi service options

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:53 am

carteki wrote:
Girl_Next_Door wrote:Even if you are in a quene, waiting for a cab, there are times (pretty often, in fact!), whereby a cab driver will ask you, which location are you heading. And if you are not heading in his direction, he will just drive off. Very often, without an apology or a proper response. Simply, NO.

This is not allowed unless he has "his shift change" sign up. Take the licence plate number and report him to his company. They will enforce a penalty and if enough people do it, the habit will stop.

I'm not exactly one of those who like to lodge a complaint. I know there are many "complaint kings and queens" who believes that complaints do lead to some change in service quality. I agree to a certain extent, but I am just too lazy to lodge a complaint.

Hence, I book a cab, most of the time.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:24 am

carteki wrote:This is not allowed unless he has "his shift change" sign up. Take the licence plate number and report him to his company. They will enforce a penalty and if enough people do it, the habit will stop.

It does not work in this case. I have complained about more serious cases and never got any follow-up response. I think they get so many complains that it does not go beyond the operators line. I wouldn't even bother for fussy drivers. The company had to be completely blind not to see what's going on - it is enough to wait few minutes by a busy street during rush hours and you already know what are the local taxi habits. This is the status quo clearly accepted. I was even told once by a driver that complaining would be pointless and the only effective party I can send my complains to would be LTA. Still, you rather reserve this kind of option for more serious "offences".

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Postby curiousgeorge » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 7:47 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:- For certain premises which have 2 or more taxi stands, you might end up in the wrong taxi stand, e.g. Esplanade. I booked a cab once using the postal code, and the cab driver was waiting for me at another taxi stand on the other side of Esplanade.

But yes, its a saver during rainy days because you can NEVER get through the phone lines. And if you do, the line SUDDENLY get cut off.

You can also book with the format <address> # <pickup> as in "5 Raffles Avenue # library entrance" or "esplanade # library entrance". Very helpful if you don't know the postcode. The bit after the # is a note for the driver.

And yeah, it works to keep re-sending the same SMS from your phone.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 30 Nov 2009 8:56 pm

Good info on all this guys- thanks!
BTW Ever had a driver say "So turn left here M'am?"
Stupid me responds, "That's right".
Uh oh... OF COURSE he/she hears the word RIGHT and damn- I've done it again! Oh Ingrish can get us all lost!
Repeat after me the word "correct" , and again, and again..... :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Nov 2009 9:08 pm

ozchick wrote:Good info on all this guys- thanks!
BTW Ever had a driver say "So turn left here M'am?"
Stupid me responds, "That's right".
Uh oh... OF COURSE he/she hears the word RIGHT and damn- I've done it again! Oh Ingrish can get us all lost!
Repeat after me the word "correct" , and again, and again..... :wink:

It is worse than that. We are coming up to my street. I say, "Next left". He drives by, because this is 'this left', next street is 'next left'.

Now down to, "Turn here" while pointing arms.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 01 Dec 2009 9:04 am

Something I really don't like about the cab driver is, them not knowing the directions and not saying anything. Everytime I board a cab, I will always ask if he knows how to get to "location X", and the cab driver will always say "Yes". Then when we are near that area, he will ask me how to get there!?!?!?

That really drives me nuts. Isn't it a cab driver's job to know the directions? And if he don't, he should say no, when I ask him specifically. Or check the street directory, instead of bringing me for a wild goose ride.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:47 pm

chase
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape