Furniture in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ReenieMc

Furniture in Singapore

Post by ReenieMc » Sat, 21 Nov 2009 5:42 am

Hi,

We need some new furnitur, but we are relocating to Singapore early in the new year. Wondering whether it is better to buy furniture here in the UK to take with us (company is paying for the relolcation costs) or whether to buy in Singapore? What is the furniture like in Singapore for cost/quality/design?

Many thanks

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sat, 21 Nov 2009 7:31 am

Your options:

~ Good quality pricey Asian antiques (think USD $20,000 museum quality tibetan chest)

~ Good quality reproductions (ming style coffee table made from old recycled wood, USD $1,500)

~ New teak of varying quality and price that may or may not be dried to withstand a move out of a humid climate

~ IKEA and it's imitators

~ Over-the-top crazy expensive 'western' styles that would make Liberace blush

~Custom-made soft furnishings like couches which can be copied from a picture you supply, for less than you'd pay at home

~Cane furniture of all styles and shapes and prices

Lots to choose from and maybe too broad of a question to answer properly. It really depends on what you are looking for, and what your budget is. Also, who is paying for your move?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Nov 2009 8:58 am

Just to add to that, you can also get western imported furniture like Picket & Rail as well.

I believe the OP said the company was paying for relocation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ReenieMc

Thankyou

Post by ReenieMc » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 4:48 am

Thankyou very much for your responses. Sounds like there are plenty of options to purchase there when we arrive.

Kind regards :D

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 8:21 am

The other point to take in to consideration is the size/shape of the place you are eventually going to rent. A lot of the newer condos are minute in terms of usable living space which may look big on paper when looking at square footage but when you you take into account doors, balconies and shape you'll be lucky to have a wall longer than 6ft.

The older apartments, say over 10 years old, are a lot bigger with alot more usable space.

So, find your apartment, take a trip to somewhere like Park Mall off Beach Road and you can deck out a whole apartment in an afternoon.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 2:45 pm

Just to add to Saint's post a bit, the standard matress in Singapore is around 6" shorter than a European/American mattress. Most condo bedrooms in the past 15 years or so were built to local mattress/bed specifications. This means, as noted, smaller rooms that coupled with the fact that inbuilt closets don't happen here except in rare cases, you will find that you would have to walk sideways around your bed to get in and out.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers