Singapore Expats Forum

Buying Office Wear: Singapore or Hong Kong?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Yali80

Buying Office Wear: Singapore or Hong Kong?

Postby Yali80 » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 1:27 am

Dear fellow expats,

I am will arrive in Singapore around the 10th of November in order to embark on a career as foreign lawyer. Before that I am going to pass through Hong Kong.

Right now my main concern is that I will need a whole set of new office wear.

I would like to buy suits and shirts in the medium price range, preferably lower medium range in price, upper medium range in quality.

For referance: I will be a junior associate and I am of Northern European build.

I am aware that tailored items are a lot cheaper in Hong Kong, that said I am inquiring about suitable stores not tailors.

From what I understand a price between 500 - 700 SGD for a suit and 50 and 70 SGD for a shirt would be medium range in both HK and Singapore (at least such is my budget).

Could anyone recommend suitable shops for such medium range office where in either HK or Singapore?

I am aware of Giordano 2000 but I find that the items on offer there are both, overly modern and fit for the Asian body rather than more bulky northern Europeans (actually I am of average build, still I find Giordano items a little tight around the arm pits and bum).

Could anyone recommend stores carrying similar items such as Marks&Spencers in either HK or Singapore?

M&S is not that bad but I find the suits lack choice and the shirts are overpriced for the bad design and certainly not outstanding quality.

Does anyone know which is the cheaper shopping destination with regards to such medium range items?

Cheers!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 1:32 am

just get tailored suit and shirt in HK. will fit like a gloves rather than farting around with matching size, colour, alteration, etc.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 1:21 pm

As a guy you probably won't have as many issues as the women, but asians have a different body shape and I find purchasing clothing in Asia a pain as nothing fits. Having it tailored makes far more sense.

Strong Eagle

Re: Buying Office Wear: Singapore or Hong Kong?

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 2:25 pm

Yali80 wrote:preferably lower medium range in price, upper medium range in quality.

You can have it good.
You can have it fast.
You can have it cheap.

Pick any two of the three.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 5:33 pm

From a female's perspective...

SGD50-70 for a shirt is a bit on the lower side of the budget, but you should probably still be able to get some around that range.
SGD500-700 for a suit is a bit on the higher side of the budget, and you can probably get a reasonably good suit for less than SGD500.

Giordano and G2000 are perceived as a cheaper (less fashionable) brand in Asia, hence I won't suggest for you to hit that route with your budget.

In Singapore, most women (including female lawyers) don't generally wear full suit to work, unless you are appearing in court or meeting a big client. I know some female lawyers (Associate level to Junior Partner level) who wear smart tailored shirts with cuff links and pants, when they are meeting their clients.

This is largely due to the weather, and you will notice (when you arrive Singapore) that men rarely wear suit to work (and I am not joking). Most male lawyers wear tailored pants and shirt, and a tie to work. With the hot weather in Singapore, people are generally more forgiving unless you show up in board shorts and singlets for work on a Monday morning. 8-)

Although you mentioned you are north european build, its still quite hard to ascertain your size. I know tall skinny europeans women who are 1.75m and weight 50kg, but I also know some who weigh 80kg. If you happened to be tall, Giordano and G2000 (and other asian brands) pants will be too short, if you are looking for a pant-suit.

Suggestions:
Popular brands are mainly Mango, Zara & Massimo Dutti (which you might be familiar with). Blum is a chain of boutiques around city area that brings in pretty nice work outfit. You can check them out and I think they offer free alternations, to make the clothes more fitting.

Depending how long you are in HK, and how adventurous you are. I know Guangzhou (very near HK) have tailors who can replicate your fav suits, at a fraction of the price, in different fabrics.

There is a H&M in HK, so you might want to check that out too. Do note that HK might be selling their autumn-winter season clothes now, which you will have absolutely no use in Singapore.

Hope this helps!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 6:12 pm

carteki wrote:As a guy you probably won't have as many issues as the women, but asians have a different body shape and I find purchasing clothing in Asia a pain as nothing fits. Having it tailored makes far more sense.

Guys have it just as bad. Most jeans & slacks here are made in Asia and are meant for the Asian Male body when generally means men's jeans are cut like a small hotels. :oops:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:11 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
carteki wrote:As a guy you probably won't have as many issues as the women, but asians have a different body shape and I find purchasing clothing in Asia a pain as nothing fits. Having it tailored makes far more sense.

Guys have it just as bad. Most jeans & slacks here are made in Asia and are meant for the Asian Male body when generally means men's jeans are cut like a small hotels. :oops:

This is prevalent in the whole SEA; I have a hard time shopping for clothes in MY home country! Shirts would be tight at the shoulders (it's understandable if it's tight in the tummy. He, he, he. But the shoulders and sleeves!!!) or would fit but it would be too short. And don't even get me started on pants...

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 20 Nov 2009 7:54 am

That's why most guys have their clothes tailored.

I think even for women, due to the different body structure, even if you are really skinny, some of the clothes don't work out as well. Most european women have a longer torso than asian, so a normal top for asians will look like a cropped top on an european woman.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Generally i find M&S jeans and trousers quite good only for the choices of sizes they have. I find it quite difficult to get the right combination of leg/waist anywhere else.

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Fri, 20 Nov 2009 2:18 pm

Get it tailored if you have the time. Else, MNG and Zara carry good work clothes. They have SALE pretty often here too. Giordano khakis are not too bad for dress down Fridays.

I've heard tailors in Bangkok can make good suits/clothes too.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Re: Buying Office Wear: Singapore or Hong Kong?

Postby phil30k » Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:41 pm

Yali80 wrote:Dear fellow expats,

I am will arrive in Singapore around the 10th of November in order to embark on a career as foreign lawyer. Before that I am going to pass through Hong Kong.

Right now my main concern is that I will need a whole set of new office wear.

I would like to buy suits and shirts in the medium price range, preferably lower medium range in price, upper medium range in quality.

For referance: I will be a junior associate and I am of Northern European build.

I am aware that tailored items are a lot cheaper in Hong Kong, that said I am inquiring about suitable stores not tailors.

From what I understand a price between 500 - 700 SGD for a suit and 50 and 70 SGD for a shirt would be medium range in both HK and Singapore (at least such is my budget).

Could anyone recommend suitable shops for such medium range office where in either HK or Singapore?

I am aware of Giordano 2000 but I find that the items on offer there are both, overly modern and fit for the Asian body rather than more bulky northern Europeans (actually I am of average build, still I find Giordano items a little tight around the arm pits and bum).

Could anyone recommend stores carrying similar items such as Marks&Spencers in either HK or Singapore?

M&S is not that bad but I find the suits lack choice and the shirts are overpriced for the bad design and certainly not outstanding quality.

Does anyone know which is the cheaper shopping destination with regards to such medium range items?

Cheers!

I found a shop in Thailand in the MBK shopping centre. There is a stall selling men's suits (I can't remember which floor) but you can't miss it as it stands out amoung the other stalls. It's not one of the usual shops but a makeshift stall on the floor where they have all the other makeshift stalls. Kind of like a bazaar set up in one of the floors of the shopping mall.

I'm not sure how much help that is seeing it is neither in Hong Kong or Singapore but from one non-Asian body type to another... I feel your pain. And don't get me started on shoes neither!