ltvp rejected, help

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
shirleyleehl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:04 pm

ltvp rejected, help

Post by shirleyleehl » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:10 pm

my hubby is the PR of Sg for 7 years, we married last year in SG, i decided to stay in Sg by Mar this year. then he applied LTVP for me, but it got rejected, now half year later, we applied again, just got notice, it got rejected again. and now i am pregnant. but now LTVP was sumitted on line, it didnt have any place to fill this point. what shall we do? any help?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39562
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:22 pm

Are you married?

Have you ever worked in Singapore before?

If you have worked in Singapore, were you on an Employment Pass or a Work Permit.

If you are married and you worked in Singapore on a Work Permit, did you apply to MOM to get permission to marry BEFORE getting married?

If you have EVER worked in Singapore on a Work Permit, you have to apply to MOM for permission to marry. If you do not, and you get married anyway, you will not be given permission to stay in Singapore whether or not you have a child.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shirleyleehl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:04 pm

Post by shirleyleehl » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:28 pm

we married in MOM last year, after married then i went back China since i was working, then came Sg again by this year.

MinSG
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:33 pm

Post by MinSG » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:36 pm

Hi Shirley, since u are married, your husband should be able to apply PR for u. Why get LTVP?

shirleyleehl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:04 pm

Post by shirleyleehl » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:42 pm

MinSG wrote:Hi Shirley, since u are married, your husband should be able to apply PR for u. Why get LTVP?
it also rejected.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:46 pm

As SMS has asked, have you ever worked in Singapore?

shirleyleehl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:04 pm

Post by shirleyleehl » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:49 pm

Saint wrote:As SMS has asked, have you ever worked in Singapore?
no, never.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39562
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 1:00 pm

Sounds like a trip to ICA is in order if you have never been employed in Singapore.

However, did you have to sign a statement when you got married at the ROM certifying that you understand that getting married at the ROM would not automatically guarantee you PR? Most foreigners have to sign that if marrying here. I hand to sign it as well. If so, that may well be the problem.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shirleyleehl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:04 pm

Post by shirleyleehl » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 1:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sounds like a trip to ICA is in order if you have never been employed in Singapore.

However, did you have to sign a statement when you got married at the ROM certifying that you understand that getting married at the ROM would not automatically guarantee you PR? Most foreigners have to sign that if marrying here. I hand to sign it as well. If so, that may well be the problem.

sms
that paper must sign lah otherwise they will not allow u to marry.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39562
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 1:21 pm

I know. It took me 11 years to get my PR. Having signed that paper puts you in the position of being at their mercy. I was pretty sure that was the problem (been there, done that!). Try going to ICA and getting a meeting with an officer (not a front line clerk) to try to find out if there is a way around it. You might have to return to your country and apply every 6 months until they see you are serious. Often, an interview with the officer can produce results where just applying on line doesn't get anywhere.

As you don't have anything now, you don't have anything to lose by trying.....

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shirleyleehl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:04 pm

Post by shirleyleehl » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 1:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I know. It took me 11 years to get my PR. Having signed that paper puts you in the position of being at their mercy. I was pretty sure that was the problem (been there, done that!). Try going to ICA and getting a meeting with an officer (not a front line clerk) to try to find out if there is a way around it. You might have to return to your country and apply every 6 months until they see you are serious. Often, an interview with the officer can produce results where just applying on line doesn't get anywhere.

As you don't have anything now, you don't have anything to lose by trying.....

sms
tks. We will try. but if i cant get it then i cant delivery baby in Sg. Now i am pregnant 4 months, little difficult to move always. so sad for this.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 2:26 pm

I think the husbands income is also taken into account, he must be earning over 2500$ a month to support you.

shirleyleehl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:04 pm

Post by shirleyleehl » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 2:55 pm

ksl wrote:I think the husbands income is also taken into account, he must be earning over 2500$ a month to support you.
more than that

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9869
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 4:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I know. It took me 11 years to get my PR. Having signed that paper puts you in the position of being at their mercy.
Why are they actually so harsh in such cases? Not see really any reason except "to keep their options open".

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 3:03 pm
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Post by econoMIC » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 5:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:However, did you have to sign a statement when you got married at the ROM certifying that you understand that getting married at the ROM would not automatically guarantee you PR? Most foreigners have to sign that if marrying here. I hand to sign it as well. If so, that may well be the problem.
Yeah I had to sign that as well three years ago when we got married. I thought it was more a pro forma thingy so nobody can complain afterwards, basically as way to avoid a marriage of convenience.

Keep in mind though that your child can be registered as a Singapore Citizen even if she was born in China. Maybe with your husband and your child both being SC you will have more luck after you give birth.

Until then all you can do is speak to an ICA officer in person. The problems are most likely going to be income and/or education or that ICA for some reason regards your marriage as a marriage of convenience.

Good luck.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest