Singapore Expats Forum

Renouncing PR and getting student pass for a 5 year old

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hotmum

Renouncing PR and getting student pass for a 5 year old

Postby hotmum » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:04 am

Hi,

My son is a PR and will be studying at an Int school. We are thinking of renouncing his PR status when he starts school when he's 5 years and get him a student pass.

Anybody done this ? Will they approve his student pass ?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:02 pm

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Course when he's an adult, he may well never be allowed to work here. But obviously there is a lot of time between then and now and the government may well change it's stance by that time.

hotmum

Postby hotmum » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks... hope they will not reject the student pass or else we will be in TROUBLE

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:11 pm

Are you going to renounce your PR as well? Or are you going to continue to take the piss out of being a PR for your own benefit?

Which country are you going to send your Son when he's finished studying and needs leave Singapore when he can't secure the appropiate employment pass to work in Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 1:11 pm

Saint, you know these people don't think that far ahead. 8-)

They would rather just think of themselves and let the kid possibly be hamstrung the rest of his life due to their shortsightedness. Just think, by the time the kid is 18, he'll probably have a local girlfriend and when he has to leave the country at 18 because his parents were only thinking of themselves, he's liable to end up hating is parents for taking away the ability to stay & work in Singapore in the future.

These are the type of PR's this country doesn't need. These are the type the locals are complaining about.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 4:54 pm

FFW 13 years: "I am sorry son, we only had the best intentions when we knowingly destroyed any future for you in this country. Having said that, have a good flight home and we will maybe see you Christmas or some time. Write us if you have the time some day. Latest I see you is when I turn my back on Singapore and take my CPF and renounce my PR... What I will have to pay tax on the CPF then?!?!"
a.k.a. littlegreenman