Singapore Expats

Single Bars

Share your favourite eating haunts!
ld_runner
Regular
Regular

La Pau Sat? April 7th? So who's gonna kick start this thing?

Post by ld_runner » Fri, 18 Mar 2011 4:49 am

I think is was said best in the movie "Field of Dreams"...
If you build it, they will come. So with that in mind I say this meeting comes to order and we initiate an "Impromptu Happy Hour"... We hold these here in Virginia Beach on a very irregular basis. All it takes is one person to come up with an idea. Anyone who has ever been to La Pau Sat knows its an affordable place to meet and mingle. I don't show up for another three weeks yet. Just putting this out there for April 7th... Guess that means its really not that Impromptu but you get the idea.
J.A.N. Just Another Noobie. Hoping to make some friends and branch out from the regular 9 to 5 crowd at work. Cheers!

Bacch

Post by Bacch » Sat, 21 May 2011 8:40 pm

Pm me too! I cant send out just about yet...

buzzSTOCK

Singapore ....Living Hell for Singles!!!!!

Post by buzzSTOCK » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:52 pm

I kinda agree with everyone around here......just 10 odd days old here in Singapore....n already feeling the burden of being alone.....
can't go in bar alone....without fearing the idea of spending the whole evening drinking alone....
cant look at a gal without fearing that 'she might be already with someone!!!!'...
seems like everywhere I go I see couples.....even my roommate already has girlfriend
I had such a high hopes for Singapore.....!!!
No matter what, you cannot change your past......!!!!!

no1naz

i share the pain!

Post by no1naz » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 5:32 pm

Ive been here 3 weeks and someone asked me, 'so, what have you seen or done in singapore so far?' i replied, well not much, i dont really know anyone here! walking around on your own, is ok at times, but gets sooo boring and depressing!

I know one or 2 people here but they are all couples, so you feel like the goosberry and its always 'meet you at boat quay'' i know that place like the back of my hand now!

Need ppl to see and experience Singapore with, and meet some nice women on the way! theres plenty here!
You need to take it to make it

hiflyer

Post by hiflyer » Fri, 21 Oct 2011 3:11 pm

Why not go to one of the social events like the drinking nights or take up a class and meet people? If what you've been doing so far to meet people isn't working, then at least trying something different may help.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: i share the pain!

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 21 Oct 2011 4:20 pm

no1naz wrote: Need ppl to see and experience Singapore with, and meet some nice women on the way! theres plenty here!
have you seen the 'night safari' at the tower ? you can meet a lot of ladies :D :D

Well, on a serious note, you need to take effort and it is an art of making friends with opposite sex, without being called a pervert .. or deemed to have ulterior motives ..

How old are you again ?? :)

nat96

Post by nat96 » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 5:26 pm

It's just as hard for single girls here as it is guys. All of my mates are in relationships and I am definitely the odd one out!!!
All my mates have already done the touristy stuff so don't want to do it again.
I have done the bus tour and duck tour by myself and walked round little India etc but I have to admit that I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I had people to share it with. Drinks, jokes, silly touristy photos- hard to do alone.
I've been here 7 months and still haven't been to the zoo or universals just to name a few!
I can see the problem for you guys- if you go out by by yourself in the evening then it looks a bit weird or girls think your only after one thing. ( or maybe you are???? :oops: ) Anyway I am up for touristy things so let me know if you are. I can actually pm now! Look forward to hearing from you.
Good things come to those who wait...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 5:29 pm

nat96 wrote: I can see the problem for you guys- if you go out by by yourself in the evening then it looks a bit weird or girls think your only after one thing.
Then also, many a girl gets terrified of the "MOB/Pack mentality .. "

If you are going alone or in a pack, like wolf pack, it just shows your confidence level. or lack of it.. . says me ..

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 5:46 pm

nat96 wrote:I've been here 7 months and still haven't been to the zoo or universals just to name a few!
I've been here 4 years and still haven't done either, and in no hurry to either as you've gotta pace yourself else there will be nothing else to do! Most of the tourist-traps I've done when people have come to visit me (and now I let them go by themselves as most are not worth a repeat visit).

Feel your pain though. Some suggestions ... join couchsurfers and become a "day host" where you can offer to take visitors around. There is a pretty active singapore cs community - and they're good guys so that is a good way to find people to do stuff with.

Check out www.meetup.com for a bunch of groups that get together and do stuff. There is also the pub quiz, fndc, wndc and couple other events happening on this forum.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 5:50 pm

carteki wrote:
nat96 wrote:I've been here 7 months and still haven't been to the zoo or universals just to name a few!
I've been here 4 years and still haven't done either, and in no hurry to either as you've gotta pace yourself else there will be nothing else to do! Most of the tourist-traps I've done when people have come to visit me (and now I let them go by themselves as most are not worth a repeat visit).

Feel your pain though. Some suggestions ... join couchsurfers and become a "day host" where you can offer to take visitors around. There is a pretty active singapore cs community - and they're good guys so that is a good way to find people to do stuff with.

Check out www.meetup.com for a bunch of groups that get together and do stuff. There is also the pub quiz, fndc, wndc and couple other events happening on this forum.
Or the best way to get localised, as I did:

get into some volunteering work (not those that starve you to death, but those which are flexible) and you meet a lot of friends ..

I did and I have a lot of local friends ..

alternate if you are below 40, Junior Chamber, below 30, Rotaract, above 30/40 and if you can afford - Rotary, or Toastmasters .. as long as you manage the expectation and can handle the odd insurance salesmen / salesgirls who join such organisations to build their portfolio .. you are good to go ..

And the JC/RI/Rotaract have sister chapters/clubs in the other countries and you can make it as a serious excuse to visit the corresponding sister chapter/clubs, and also not tie yourself down.

Almost all the overseas clubs/chapters in Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand are more than happy to host overseas guests ..

That's my 2 cents..

Dum_Dam

HI

Post by Dum_Dam » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 4:54 pm

Hi, i wonder if this topic is still active. I've been in SG for like 2 mths and I wish to mix with more people like me, sharing new discoveries in SG. I like Singapore, but its really lonely sometime to walk around alone, and no one to share experience and laugh or having meals together and to talk and gossip with. My colleagues are all family woman/man so there is no such thing as hanging together after working hour/weekend.

Do include me in any activities u guys/gals are planning. Hope to meet more friends local/foreign. :D

ld_runner
Regular
Regular

Meetup.com

Post by ld_runner » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 9:36 pm

http://www.meetup.com/Singapore-Fun-Eve ... /48060872/

Hi All,
I don't think most people here on ExPats realize that Meetup.com has so darn many regulary scheduled events that we should sign up for. VCheck out the link above and all the other sites on Meetup.
Why are we wasting our time on this site. Wed & Fri NDC are are fantastic but Meetup.com offers so much more. Eating, hiking, dancing etc...
Hope to see you on one of their ventures.
Tim D.
J.A.N. Just Another Noobie. Hoping to make some friends and branch out from the regular 9 to 5 crowd at work. Cheers!

nakatago

Re: Meetup.com

Post by nakatago » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 9:51 pm

ld_runner wrote:http://www.meetup.com/Singapore-Fun-Eve ... /48060872/

Hi All,
I don't think most people here on ExPats realize that Meetup.com has so darn many regulary scheduled events that we should sign up for. VCheck out the link above and all the other sites on Meetup.
Why are we wasting our time on this site. Wed & Fri NDC are are fantastic but Meetup.com offers so much more. Eating, hiking, dancing etc...
Hope to see you on one of their ventures.
Tim D.
That's because people spontaneously--through one way or another--gravitated towards this site and eventually built a community (mostly expats and foreign workers).

Although meetup.com has been mentioned here several times but some people keep coming back here. It doesn't have to be just one site for outings and stuff.

:)
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ld_runner
Regular
Regular

As they say in Jersey...

Post by ld_runner » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 9:59 pm

No argument. There can be more than one site. I find that Expats has less consistency and people pulling the proverbial rug out from under a scheduled "MeetUp".

Eh. I'm just sayin'.... (Tony Soprano)

mikicoco75
Regular
Regular

Post by mikicoco75 » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:38 pm

for me sometime i'm quite enjoys doing thing alone.
shopping, dining, coffee-ing, movie... all alone.

but i dont dare to pubbing and clubbing alone! hahaa.... it sound abit weird. and i'm sure alot ppls will keep looking at you.. haha

PS: I'm stay in sg about 7yrs. ;)
mIkI_cOcO lOvE cOcO_mIkI