We could use some advice...

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 9:08 am

dpot wrote:I can understand why they would want forgo that expense, but it seems a bit silly if they hope to recruit talented people for the long term. As the saying goes, 'If you pay peanuts, don't be surprised if you get monkeys.'
I know a case where a local HR tried to hire someone who was currently employed offering this someone less. They had a full record of all the benefits and salary and when asked whether they really expected to attract this person with a worse package, they sad, yes. And one more thing: this was the HR who approached that person :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 1:37 pm

Of course, there are the rare occasions where a lateral move at less money is desirable if the current situation does not allow for any further vertical movement and the lateral move will. It also might mean the move from a local SME or worse to a Global MNC with scope from worldwide movement later. It's not always about money. I would consider a move for the same money if they provided me a car or I was within 30 minutes by public transport to my home and on a 5 days week.

You you have to weigh a long more than just the dollars. You also have to weigh the sense?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 2:19 pm

i don't think what x9200 was referring to had something else better to offer to make up for less money. it's true that some can only offer less compensation but a better position or better conditions but then again, this is asia we're talking about...where delusion in the "profession" is common.

my old company wanted to re-hire some of us back (there were four of us who left who are now in our new company here. we left because of greener pastures and better management). HR was actually hoping that some of us will go back for less pay and bullshit management.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 2:50 pm

Hoist by my own petard, I am!. Caught by my own admonishments. I didn't bother to go back and read the thread or for that matter the previous page.

:oops!:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 5:39 pm

No, it was not that clear at all. They approach this person not the other way around and it was not a case that she wanted to change her job. Assuming the HR manager was not an idiot or did not care I could only think that they did not expect the current package of this person was that good or, what I unfortunately see from time to time some local HR ppl act like they simply envy.

dpot
Regular
Regular

Post by dpot » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:16 am

Just received an offer (finally!):

$4,750/mo, $2500 relocation allowance, 15 days holiday/yr. To be honest, I feel it is way too low. :o

It would be a different story if rents were less expensive or my wife planned to work. I can't imagine supporting my wife and son on that without going into debt. :roll:

I plan to stay in touch with the school, however, and offer my services while we're visiting friends and relatives in the region. Never burn a bridge! Anyway, thanks so much for your help over the past months, I'll continue to recommend this site to others planning a move to Singapore.

dpot
Regular
Regular

Post by dpot » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 6:34 am

So, a lot has changed since my recent post. I rejected the offer, they came back with a 'how much do you need?' i was able to get a bit over $70,000/yr. So I accepted the position. :-)

Anyway, we're (wife and 1 yr old) planning to come over in March, and I've heard that the gov't is introducing 'cooling-down measures' with regard to property prices, though I also realise that they're cracking down on illegal HDB renters, so I'm not convinced that rents are going to stabilise that much.

I've been looking at places in Woodlands and Bukit Timah, because they seem to be pretty reasonable (I hope to get a 2br condo with a pool for no more than $2500/mo (realistic?). Although it might be a bit of a commute (work is located right on the border of Dist 13 & 14), I'm more concerned about my wife and baby having things to do during the day than I am with my commute. However, since I'm not trying to make it more difficult than necessary, I'm wondering if one of the locales is better than the other. I realise that 'better' is subjective, so I'm thinking about things like convenience to work, amenities like food courts, types of people that make up the community, things to do, etc. Any other input, even if unrelated to my questions, is always appreciated.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:34 pm

I doubt you will find a condo with pool on the agency websites for 2500. But you can certainly find one by word of mouth after arrival.

dpot
Regular
Regular

Post by dpot » Thu, 07 Oct 2010 5:24 pm

thanks ksl...east coast looks good, but i thought it might be too expensive. any opinion of woodlands or bukit timah?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Oct 2010 5:37 pm

Dpot, BukitTimah (BT) is one of more expensive areas in Singapore so not sure where did you dig it out from having a budget focus :) Probably Upper BT more towards CCK may be a bit cheaper. I did not check the prices but I would expect East Coast to be cheaper on average then BT.

dpot
Regular
Regular

Post by dpot » Thu, 07 Oct 2010 6:01 pm

x9200, I've been looking on this site, but it appears that the 2br properties available for $2500 or less are mostly shifted to the east coast or woodlands...I only see one in BT now. :-(

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housing- ... =CDISTRICT

Now that I think about it, it might be better to live in the east...better transport lines to work, at least. Thanks for pointing out my mistake with BT.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Oct 2010 7:04 pm

Woodlands should be probably the cheapest of these 3. But why actually Woodlands? There are many other suburbs not that remote and probably cheaper or similar?