Singapore Expats Forum

How difficult it is to get a PR for Malaysian Malay

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sweetie2980

How difficult it is to get a PR for Malaysian Malay

Postby sweetie2980 » Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:51 pm

Hi....i would like to ask something,its regarding on getting a PR in Singapore. Hopefully i get the answers im looking for through here.

My friend who is a Malaysian malay has been seeing a Singaporean Chinese for couple of years and intend to get married. They agreed to only get married in Singapore under civil law and let go her Malaysian citizenship as the guy not having to convert into muslim. Because of love she also willing to leave her family behind.

My question is...would she be able to get a PR once she is married to her Singaporean boyfriend? or the government would only grant her social pass? as i heard that only Singaporean who married chinese foreigner would only be granted a PR. It would different case for malay.

Hopefully some kind souls here would enlighten me with this problem.Thank you again in advance..
from down south all the way to west coast california..blending the sugar and spice of asian world in the world of melting pots america

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Nov 2009 3:48 pm

She shouldn't have a problem provided she has not worked in Singapore before on a Work Permit. Even then, as long as she asks permission to marry a Singaporean from MOM, she should be okay, although that is up to MOM.

sms

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Re: How difficult it is to get a PR for Malaysian Malay

Postby econoMIC » Sun, 15 Nov 2009 5:59 pm

sweetie2980 wrote:...They agreed to only get married in Singapore under civil law and let go her Malaysian citizenship as the guy not having to convert into muslim...

This is tricky business. Being a Singapore PR doesn't mean you are a citizen. So your friend would end up stateless. Having said that, Singapore does issue travel documents to stateless PRs. I have always been wondering why. This might be the reason. Pls keep in mind though, that it is not certain that she will be granted PR after marrying him straight away. This might result in her being stateless and not a PR => ie. she will not have a country to live in and might end up having to live in an airport or something, no idea really.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Nov 2009 6:58 pm

I think she is talking about down the road a bit. Considering the English used, I think she is wondering about getting PR primarily. Secondarily, obtaining Citizenship. But obviously, she has to get PR first. That I don't see as a problem unless as I mentioned in my initial post.