Singapore Expats Forum

Change Job -> before travel

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

netjagan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2009

Change Job -> before travel

Postby netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:45 pm

Hi All,

I got a job and In-Principle-Letter from Singapore company but havent travelled there...



let me know.
Last edited by netjagan on Fri, 13 Nov 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 2:03 pm

With the tightening up of controls in September, you might not want to try it. However, technically, there is no reason you cannot. However, if the first one is not taken up and the second for some reason gets rejected and you are already here, your greed may have you hoist by your own petard.

Do you know that the 2nd company is stable? How is their history of obtaining work passes? So many variables. It's better to do it (cancel) now before you arrive in Singapore and it's better to cancel the previous application first.

netjagan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2009

One other - Before travel.

Postby netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 2:56 pm

Actually the issue is -> im happy to join the company but my joining date is still in dilemma, They want me there ASAP. :roll:

Have requested for one more week but dunno whether they will accepted it or not but im willing to join.


In the employment contract they have a clause - that if i dont join i have to owe a months salary.

(But im not in singapore)
:evil:

netjagan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2009

um.....

Postby netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 4:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:With the tightening up of controls in September, you might not want to try it. However, technically, there is no reason you cannot. However, if the first one is not taken up and the second for some reason gets rejected and you are already here, your greed may have you hoist by your own petard.

Do you know that the 2nd company is stable? How is their history of obtaining work passes? So many variables. It's better to do it (cancel) now before you arrive in Singapore and it's better to cancel the previous application first.



Actually the issue is -> im happy to join the company but my joining date is still in dilemma, They want me there ASAP. Rolling Eyes

Have requested for one more week but dunno whether they will accepted it or not but im willing to join.


In the employment contract they have a clause - that if i dont join i have to owe a months salary.

(But im not in singapore)
Evil or Very Mad

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Postby econoMIC » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 4:50 pm

That would be a risky gamble from my point of view. Unless you earn lots more it might not be worth it.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Re: um.....

Postby Saint » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 4:51 pm

netjagan wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:With the tightening up of controls in September, you might not want to try it. However, technically, there is no reason you cannot. However, if the first one is not taken up and the second for some reason gets rejected and you are already here, your greed may have you hoist by your own petard.

Do you know that the 2nd company is stable? How is their history of obtaining work passes? So many variables. It's better to do it (cancel) now before you arrive in Singapore and it's better to cancel the previous application first.



Actually the issue is -> im happy to join the company but my joining date is still in dilemma, They want me there ASAP. Rolling Eyes

Have requested for one more week but dunno whether they will accepted it or not but im willing to join.


In the employment contract they have a clause - that if i dont join i have to owe a months salary.

(But im not in singapore)
Evil or Very Mad


And you actually signed that contract with that clause in it :o

netjagan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2009

Re: um.....

Postby netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 4:57 pm

Saint wrote:
netjagan wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:With the tightening up of controls in September, you might not want to try it. However, technically, there is no reason you cannot. However, if the first one is not taken up and the second for some reason gets rejected and you are already here, your greed may have you hoist by your own petard.

Do you know that the 2nd company is stable? How is their history of obtaining work passes? So many variables. It's better to do it (cancel) now before you arrive in Singapore and it's better to cancel the previous application first.



Actually the issue is -> im happy to join the company but my joining date is still in dilemma, They want me there ASAP. Rolling Eyes

Have requested for one more week but dunno whether they will accepted it or not but im willing to join.


In the employment contract they have a clause - that if i dont join i have to owe a months salary.

(But im not in singapore)
Evil or Very Mad


And you actually signed that contract with that clause in it :o


ha ha.. yes!!! but i'm interested in joining now too but in a different date...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 5:21 pm

Unless you have a VERY good reason for not joining on the date as originally contracted for, I would make every attempt to start when you promised to. If you don't you have already told your new employer that the company's deadlines don't mean too much to you as you will do as you please. If you did that to me without a valid reason, I'm afraid that I would not see it favorably at all. In fact, I'd probably tell you to try to get a refund on your ticket.

netjagan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2009

Postby netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 5:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless you have a VERY good reason for not joining on the date as originally contracted for, I would make every attempt to start when you promised to. If you don't you have already told your new employer that the company's deadlines don't mean too much to you as you will do as you please. If you did that to me without a valid reason, I'm afraid that I would not see it favorably at all. In fact, I'd probably tell you to try to get a refund on your ticket.


Thanks, i really have a valid point :-| to say.... and have said it too..

But if they are not happy to extend the date - i end up losing the contract rite (by them)... :-|

After that can the contract clause come to picture ? I have said that im ok to work 10 days for free. :shock: - if i join late, i want to be more professional as i change my committed joining date.

P.S. Im relocating on my own & have cancelled the ticket yesterday :(


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests