Singapore Expats Forum

Being cheated

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
ladyvampire
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 03 Jan 2009

Being cheated

Postby ladyvampire » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 2:02 pm

I have a tuition agency and recently I have been unable to recover $500 of commission fees from one of my tutors.
She will not answer my calls/sms and when I use other numbers to call, she hang up upon hearing my voice.

I'm quite lost over here, is there any place/body I can go to?
One that protects businesses perhaps?
The world is my computer in which I play my games.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Being cheated

Postby ksl » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 2:17 pm

ladyvampire wrote:I have a tuition agency and recently I have been unable to recover $500 of commission fees from one of my tutors.
She will not answer my calls/sms and when I use other numbers to call, she hang up upon hearing my voice.

I'm quite lost over here, is there any place/body I can go to?
One that protects businesses perhaps?
Just get a lawyer to send her a letter, if its not paid within a reasonable time, interest will be added and she will be taken to the small claims tribunal to recover the debt. Providing you have them on contract it shouldn't be too difficult.

ladyvampire
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 03 Jan 2009

Re: Being cheated

Postby ladyvampire » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 5:03 pm

ksl wrote:
ladyvampire wrote:I have a tuition agency and recently I have been unable to recover $500 of commission fees from one of my tutors.
She will not answer my calls/sms and when I use other numbers to call, she hang up upon hearing my voice.

I'm quite lost over here, is there any place/body I can go to?
One that protects businesses perhaps?
Just get a lawyer to send her a letter, if its not paid within a reasonable time, interest will be added and she will be taken to the small claims tribunal to recover the debt. Providing you have them on contract it shouldn't be too difficult.



Would the cost be worth it? Getting the lawyer and stuff?
The world is my computer in which I play my games.

CNSGP
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed, 04 Nov 2009

Postby CNSGP » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 6:13 pm

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/page.aspx?pageid=3948

The link above is to the Singapore small claims tribunal court.. process is pretty simple to get started & costs $10.00 from what I can tell. My understanding is that small claims tribunal court is easy to go through without needing to hire a lawyer.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34263
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:05 pm

Actually, you cannot use a lawyer at the SCT. If you bring one, they cannot say anything at all but just observe. (Unless it's changed in the past 4 years).

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, you cannot use a lawyer at the SCT. If you bring one, they cannot say anything at all but just observe. (Unless it's changed in the past 4 years).
That's quite true, though a letter may just be enough to get the message over if it is prepared how it should be, with failure to clear the debit within a reasonable time limit. 50 to 80$ for a lawyers letter.

If the person doesn't pay within the time period stated by the letter, then the tribunal would be the next step! It wouldn't surprise me if the letters are not standard templates! So it's done within 3 minutes.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34263
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:30 pm

When's the last time you got a lawyer's standard letter done? We did some earlier this year and they're around $150 a whack now! :o

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 12:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:When's the last time you got a lawyer's standard letter done? We did some earlier this year and they're around $150 a whack now! :o
Ouch! Surely you can pass the charge on, to the debitor? Yes I should say a solicitor is much cheaper, one doesn't really need a lawyer!


Better to have our own templates and official chop then :lol:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 7:45 am

ksl wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:When's the last time you got a lawyer's standard letter done? We did some earlier this year and they're around $150 a whack now! :o
Ouch! Surely you can pass the charge on, to the debitor?

As far as I know for a regular court case you need a separate case to claim legal expenses. Do not expect to be different for SCT. This really sucks. And I doubt you can have here any compensation just for the waste of your time.

Pt coach
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed, 20 Jan 2010
Location: West sg

A biz lesson

Postby Pt coach » Wed, 20 Jan 2010 9:51 pm

    always pay in arrears this will be lesson 101
    no nd for contract even verbal agreements are valid if reasonable
Health is wealth

mitlan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun, 09 Apr 2006
Contact:

Postby mitlan » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:09 pm

i would say treat it as a lesson learnt, don't waste your time with trying to get the $500 back. its pointless to go to anywhere to recover this amount of money. spend your time earning more money rather than mulling over this $500. i know it is money but i am sure if you put your effort into earning, you should be able to earn back. i have been to SCT, engaged lawyers, got debt collectors for sums ranging from a few thousand to even 14k. you go SCT if the tutor do not turn up, the judge will rule in your favor. but if she cant pay, are you going to pay the fees for a baliff to go watch u go to the person's house to recover anything from here property, that is if she has a property. the process of finding all the information and the time wasted to go to court and then waiting and waiting is pointless. Really, my personal opinion is to move on. you will find and earn more money if you spent the amount of time on work rather than go after this irresponsible tutor. send her a message asking her to keep it and wait for her turn when someone do the same to her. y avoid a person just because of a meagre $500? that person herself is really mad. cheer up, move on, there are opportunities waiting for you :)

jerm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 18 Mar 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby jerm » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 2:18 pm

Maybe it would be safer to collect the amount from the student or the parents, and not the tutor, unless you trust the tutor?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests