Singapore Expats Forum

Can you get a PR if you are a Freelancer?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jocaps

Can you get a PR if you are a Freelancer?

Postby jocaps » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 3:51 am

Hi Forum,

I know I can become a professional freelancer (I am a mathematical programmer) and I know I can get costumers. I am currently living in central Europe and I will probably will be working as a freelancer here. But I want to move to Singapore because it's nearer to my country (the Philippines) even though the conditions and pay here are a tad bit better than in Singapore. I already have candidate costumers for a freelance job and I thought of applying EPEC and then move to Singapore (this is no problem). But the question is, can I use my freelance job (which I can bring anywhere with me around the world) and apply as a PR afterwards? My initial costumers would probably be European companies, will that be a problem? Is there a place where I can be informed about this?

The only problem I see in singapore is that many companies want to have employees that are PR's.. yet you need to start your PR when you are hired, it is very contradicting. I wouldn't have this problem freelancers are allowed to apply as a PR.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 6:51 am

No, not as a freelancer. You need an employment pass first (or an entrepass). Without as much, you're sitting high and dry.

jocaps

Postby jocaps » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 6:38 pm

Isn't employment pass.. my EPEC application? If it is, then it's not a problem because I know I can get it. My problem is when I have an EP (or EPEC??) then can I apply as a PR even if I am not hired by a company but a freelancer with contracts under several companies (which aren't necessarily singaporean or have to do with singapore).

Oh.. and is this thread supposed to be in the Carreer/Job Category? Sorry for that.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:16 pm

An EP and an EPEC are two different things altogether. An EP is an Employment Pass. And EPEC is an Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate. The EPEC only says that Academically speaking you qualify for an Employment Pass (EP). However........

That is only one criteria of obtaining an EP. Once you have the EPEC, it will allow you to come to Singapore to look for a job for up to 12 consecutive months. If you haven't been successful in that time, you lose the EPEC (and it's a one time issue only - much the same as the PEP is).

The second part of the application is on the employer's side. You cannot apply for an EP yourself. The potential employer has to file as the EP is tied TO THAT EMPLOYER ONLY. Once you leave that employ, you lose your EP. Now. The employer also has to show cause as to why they find it necessary to hire a foreigner instead of a local to do the job. If there are considerable persons carrying similar academic credentials and levels of experience and are either Singaporeans or PRs, then, the odds of you obtaining a EP are considerably lessened. If the salary offered by the potential company is less than a basic of 7K/mo. it's going to be even harder.

You cannot have more than one Employment Pass, nor can you work for more than one employer while on an EP as it's valid only for one single employer. Therefore, there is no way you are going to be able to freelance. This has been discussed here ad nauseum and it hasn't happened yet. With the new criteria recently set out by MOM regarding Entrepass applications, even that has been tightened up severely since the beginning of September.

For further reading.....

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html

sms