Singapore Expats Forum

PR Application timing

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
uc
Regular
Regular

Postby uc » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:08 pm

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saint wrote:
uc wrote:
Hi,how is the approval rate now especially spouse sponsorship?

Your spouse being PR I not sure of the approval rate as not many postings on the forum highlighting your particular scenario.

Most of us who have been through the spouse sponsorship route is where the spouse is a Singaporean.

But ICA said Spouse of Citizens/PRS.Well i hope its all good.Yours was what year,n how many times did u apply?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:12 pm

uc wrote:But ICA said Spouse of Citizens/PRS.Well i hope its all good.Yours was what year,n how many times did u apply?

Became PR July 2008, only applied once and Mrs S and I weren't even living in Singapore!

uc
Regular
Regular

Postby uc » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:18 pm

Saint wrote:
uc wrote:But ICA said Spouse of Citizens/PRS.Well i hope its all good.Yours was what year,n how many times did u apply?

Became PR July 2008, only applied once and Mrs S and I weren't even living in Singapore!

Nice one .But as you know things have dramatically changed since the inception of recession..But i do believe i can get it.Basically pal,what are their main criterias?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:46 pm

Their main criteria at the moment is denying/rejecting PR and telling the applicants to reapply in either 6 months or 2 years. Current waiting time is around 6 months from application to determination. If you have already been here on an EP for at least 2 years and holding a P1 EP then you still have a reasonably good chance of getting PR. Otherwise, most are getting told to reapply based on the timelines already mentioned.

The government is aware of the abuses of the system by a lot of PR's so they're starting to tighten up to make sure that the applicants are serious about staying for the long haul and not just using it as a means of being able to stay here visa free after losing their job.

uc
Regular
Regular

Postby uc » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Their main criteria at the moment is denying/rejecting PR and telling the applicants to reapply in either 6 months or 2 years. Current waiting time is around 6 months from application to determination. If you have already been here on an EP for at least 2 years and holding a P1 EP then you still have a reasonably good chance of getting PR. Otherwise, most are getting told to reapply based on the timelines already mentioned.

The government is aware of the abuses of the system by a lot of PR's so they're starting to tighten up to make sure that the applicants are serious about staying for the long haul and not just using it as a means of being able to stay here visa free after losing their job.

Nice advise though..My case is that i just finished my MBA program here in singapore and my wife got me 1yr lstvp....Now what we are waiting to hear now is the pR application outcome.We applied in Aug this yr.I still hope all is well.She's a bachelor degree holder while myself is Bsc/MBA.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 1:07 pm

uc wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Their main criteria at the moment is denying/rejecting PR and telling the applicants to reapply in either 6 months or 2 years. Current waiting time is around 6 months from application to determination. If you have already been here on an EP for at least 2 years and holding a P1 EP then you still have a reasonably good chance of getting PR. Otherwise, most are getting told to reapply based on the timelines already mentioned.

Nice advise though..My case is that i just finished my MBA program here in singapore and my wife got me 1yr lstvp....Now what we are waiting to hear now is the pR application outcome.We applied in Aug this yr.I still hope all is well.She's a bachelor degree holder while myself is Bsc/MBA.

I would say the following would be plus points to have when applying for PR through spouse. It's definitely not official but from my and offers experience.

1) Married for a number of years to a Singaporean with a Singapore marriage certificate

2) Both working within a recognised profession (in Singapore or abroad) with a decent number of years experience, 5 years or more.

3) Current salary would entitle you to a P1 or PEP

4) Likely to knock out a couple of kids!

uc
Regular
Regular

Postby uc » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 1:17 pm

Saint wrote:
uc wrote:

I would say the following would be plus points to have when applying for PR through spouse. It's definitely not official but from my and offers experience.

1) Married for a number of years to a Singaporean with a Singapore marriage certificate

2) Both working within a recognised profession (in Singapore or abroad) with a decent number of years experience, 5 years or more.

3) Current salary would entitle you to a P1 or PEP

4) Likely to knock out a couple of kids!

My friend got his immediately after his Bachelors degree in Singapore through his Singaporean wifey.So,iCa has different ways of viewing applications(case by case i think).he even got a citizenship now stil through his wife after 2yrs on pr.When he got his PR he wasnt working,the wife sponsored him.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 1:37 pm

When looking a PR for those with family ties here, it's a whole 'nuther scenario. They will look at the local spouses qualifications/earnings/family ties locally. They will also look at the likelihood of the spouse following the husband overseas and as saint mentioned, whether or not there is a strong likelihood of producing offspring (especially male) and how long the marriage as been surviving. (Statistically speaking, the majority of East-West marriages don't survive the 2nd anniversary. Anecdotally, I can vouch for that being around 75-80% failure rate of those marriages. (This from 27 years of observations here and in the region of people that I know/knew. There are others I know who are like myself - we've passed our silver anniversary.

Today, however, the government is looking at it even harder and I guess rightly so.

uc
Regular
Regular

Postby uc » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 1:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:When looking a PR for those with family ties here, it's a whole 'nuther scenario. They will look at the local spouses qualifications/earnings/family ties locally. They will also look at the likelihood of the spouse following the husband overseas and as saint mentioned, whether or not there is a strong likelihood of producing offspring (especially male) and how long the marriage as been surviving. (Statistically speaking, the majority of East-West marriages don't survive the 2nd anniversary. Anecdotally, I can vouch for that being around 75-80% failure rate of those marriages. (This from 27 years of observations here and in the region of people that I know/knew. There are others I know who are like myself - we've passed our silver anniversary.

Today, however, the government is looking at it even harder and I guess rightly so.

You are right.Just pray for me

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 4:28 pm

uc wrote:
econoMIC wrote:
uc wrote:Please can someone help me with good ideas and admonishments. I currently applied for my PR under my wife's sponsorship.And my wife is a PR for 5years plus now and she's from shanghai,china..She's currently working with Ministry of eduacation as a teacher and she's a degree holder,while myself is a fresh MBA holder from one the private universities here in singapore.
She applied for my LTSVP and 1year was approved within 10days.And after 3months on on the ltvsp,we applied my PR which is 2months plus old now.Still waiting for reply from ica.

Please,what are my chances of getting approval?Do i have good chances?

Thank you...and also im from Africa
N/b,my wife also applied for her citizenship.....

she came to singapore in 2000 on EP with MOE until 2004 when she got her PR...She's been teaching for 8years now

Be patient. Being married to a PR/Citizen is a different ball game compared to applying while on EP. It took me about 3 months in April this year to get my PR as the spouse of a Singaporean. The odds given your high level of education should be good. Just be patient.

Thanks man...When you applied,where you on what pass?was that your first application or second?Please do reply.

I have taken note of double posting,which will not occur again.

I applied in April 2009 through the High Commission in London, so not even in Singapore. My application was approved 2.5 months later but it took another 3 weeks until the high commission forwarded me the letter. This was all because we currently are in London. The fact that you are married to a Singaporean or PR counts for a lot and then of course education and income are big determinants. It was my first application by the way. We had been married for 3 years plus and back then still both lived together in Singapore. Then we left for London.

uc wrote:...pray for me

That won't help. It is down to a civil servant with a checklist and a calculator. Just be patient. You do tick all the boxes based on the information you gave us.
a.k.a. littlegreenman