Singapore Expats Forum

gave up pr 14yrs ago. thinking of appealing. pls help.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sharkfung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 05 Nov 2009

gave up pr 14yrs ago. thinking of appealing. pls help.

Postby sharkfung » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 4:17 pm

i have grown up and stayed in singapore since baby. born a malaysian. i gave up pr at 19yo to further my studies. after which i had been working in singapore for almost 12yrs under q1 pass. recently married a singapore wife and bought a condo. things get a bit desperate after they rejected my q1 pass recently. after one appeal they gave it to me. now i feel very insecure as my family and wife are all singaporean. ica rejected my application for pr last year, first time i apply after 14yrs. a friend told me to write direct to ica to appeal, to whom, i don't know. any advice anyone?
Last edited by sharkfung on Thu, 05 Nov 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 4:19 pm

Did you complete your NS before giving up PR 14 years ago?

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Postby econoMIC » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 4:37 pm

The government does not forget. You have to be aware that even if your PR is approved you will have to serve NS. If you have renounced your PR status without having served previously then this might be the problem.

One hint, do apply with your wife as a sponsor for your PR instead of the technical scheme as either way you would have to serve PR. The fact that you had PR before makes the exemption under the technical scheme invalid and your odds if you apply with your wife as your sponsor should be higher.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 4:50 pm

If the OP is around 33/34 years old he normally would be asked to do NS. BUT if the OP didn't serve his 2 years NS before giving up PR, which I'm guessing he didn't if he gave up PR aged 19, this will probably be what will stop him getting PR approved. As Mr E says, they've got very long menories!

sharkfung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 05 Nov 2009

Postby sharkfung » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 6:15 pm

true saint, we do have the best system in the world that can proof anything. didn't realise the consequences than. thought i could earn my first million faster if i step into the society earlier. i would go ns if itz a requirement for my pr. but other problem arise. got to sell my condo coz ns pay is never going to be what i am getting now. and do they really want a 33yo soldier? i am just desperate. i want to be with my wife,family and friends. all here, where can i go? and thanks mr e. i will go ica tomorrow and try apply thru spouse.

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Postby econoMIC » Fri, 06 Nov 2009 5:08 pm

sharkfung wrote:true saint, we do have the best system in the world that can proof anything. didn't realise the consequences than. thought i could earn my first million faster if i step into the society earlier. i would go ns if itz a requirement for my pr. but other problem arise. got to sell my condo coz ns pay is never going to be what i am getting now. and do they really want a 33yo soldier? i am just desperate. i want to be with my wife,family and friends. all here, where can i go? and thanks mr e. i will go ica tomorrow and try apply thru spouse.


Yes they will want a 33 yo soldier to prove a point and deter others from ditching the government/society/Singapore... call it whatever you want. Do not worry about the money though. You will be eligible for make up pay, ie. they will pay your last salary during your two years of NS and your employment is on hold. After the two years you can just go back to work as if you were on a two year paid leave (trying to be a bit optimistic and encourage you). You can go to NS.com.sg and look for make up pay to read up on the details. You might just be the highest paid NS man ever.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Nov 2009 5:48 pm

However, I doubt seriously they will use his previous pay if is was not Singapore Based salary. Wouldn't make too much sense.

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Postby econoMIC » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 5:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:However, I doubt seriously they will use his previous pay if is was not Singapore Based salary. Wouldn't make too much sense.


SMS, from what he said I firmly believe his previous pay is a Singapore based salary! He has been here for 12 years on EP what?
a.k.a. littlegreenman

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 10:59 pm

:oops!: :shit: Guess I was in a hurry to get out of the office! Didn't read too carefully!

sharkfung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 05 Nov 2009

Postby sharkfung » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 5:17 pm

thanks for all the advice. and yes, i draw and pay tax in s$. i've downloaded the form and will submit soon. hope i can announce good news here in a few months time.

uc
Regular
Regular
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun, 08 Nov 2009
Location: singapore

Postby uc » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 1:25 am

sharkfung wrote:thanks for all the advice. and yes, i draw and pay tax in s$. i've downloaded the form and will submit soon. hope i can announce good news here in a few months time.



Apply bro n u might be approved...i applied too still waiting for an answer...almost 3months now.Good luck

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue, 20 Jul 2004
Location: Dunearn/Chancery

Postby yoongf » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:59 pm

econoMIC wrote:Do not worry about the money though. You will be eligible for make up pay, ie. they will pay your last salary during your two years of NS and your employment is on hold. After the two years you can just go back to work as if you were on a two year paid leave (trying to be a bit optimistic and encourage you). You can go to NS.com.sg and look for make up pay to read up on the details. You might just be the highest paid NS man ever.


This info is incorrect. If OP is serving the 2 yrs of NS, he is NSF. NSF is not entitled to makeup pay. Makeup Pay is only applicable to NSman, which is the term used to describe ppl who have completed the 2 yrs.

The Makeup pay is meant for NSman undergoing reservist training.

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Postby econoMIC » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback yoongf. Is there and equivalent of make up pay for NSF then or will it just be the usual few dollars?
a.k.a. littlegreenman

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue, 20 Jul 2004
Location: Dunearn/Chancery

Postby yoongf » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 8:13 pm

Just the usual few dollars.
Hardly enough to cover one's own expenses let along support others.

sharkfung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 05 Nov 2009

Postby sharkfung » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 3:13 pm

thanks bro. good luck to you too. i suspect i will need to talk to the officer in charge to convince him even if they approve coz thats what they did 14yrs ago. i bet i am not their first case. they will know what to do. i will follow.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests