Singapore Expats Forum

cleaner vs maid

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
abee

cleaner vs maid

Postby abee » Tue, 03 Nov 2009 1:52 pm

Hi
I was hoping for some opinions on whether to get a cleaner or a maid,
We have 2 boys under 4, one who will be hopefully starting at a kinder next year I am not currently working as I am on dependents pass, we have been weighing up if we should get a cleaner or a maid, I personally think we only need a cleaner once a week who could do the extra cleaning around the apartment, iorning and maybe watch the kids one night.
My husband however thinks it would be cheaper and easier to have someone live in, who the kids would get to know better and who could help me during the day watching one of the boys if I need to take one to a class etc (very hard with 2 on a bus with a stroller) as well as cleaning laundry etcMy husband also travels for work so this would mean I have some back up when hes away.

What do people think, is one cheaper than the other in the long run, and how do people find having a extra person in the house.

Thanks in advance

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Nov 2009 3:46 pm

Same cost, same levy, same person. Just different job title.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Tue, 03 Nov 2009 4:53 pm

You don't have to pay levy for a part time cleaner. We did the maths a while back (we needed the cleaner for 2x a week x 5 hours) and found that it's cheaper to get a live in. However, day to day expenses such as meals, medical etc need to be taken into consideration.

(in the end we went for the part timer - more expensive basic, no worries about 3rd party in the home and no need to feed her. Altho she helps herself to tea/coffee occassionally). But i am probably the wrong person to ask as we don't have kids.

When we do, I would think a live in would make sense, she's around most of the time to take care of the kid(s) and help out with meals, naps, walks etc.
Just me

DazzleBabe

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Tue, 03 Nov 2009 5:18 pm

Tried both and went for the full time helper...

Given the kind of needs I have, it's cheaper to have a live-in

But you have to compromise on privacy

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 2:02 pm

Cleaner versus maid . . .

Which one's stronger?

Yup, same thing

'nuff said Image

Dolph
Regular
Regular

Postby Dolph » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 8:31 am

Go for a full-time helper - it's cheap and if you find a good one you won't have a problem with privacy as they will know when to retire to their own room or just when not to interfere. A decent maid agency will introduce you to lots of maids which you can interview. A good tip if you have smaller children is to have them around when you conduct the interview as it can give you a good idea about how the maid interacts with kids. That's how I found mine and she is a true gem which I would not be without and my child loves her. She has been a true life-saver in many situations when unexpected situations arose and I needed someone to look after my toddler then and there. But don't go for the first maid you're introduced to. Follow your instinct and I am sure you'll find the one who is right for your family and situation.

abee

Postby abee » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks Dolph, and all other replys

I think we have made a decision to go with a cleaner who can also mind the children who has been reccommended to us, and if further down the line I go back to work we will get a full time helper

thank you all for your imput