Singapore Expats Forum

Aborigine on the menu

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Aborigine on the menu

Postby ozchick » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 10:14 am

Yep you heard it here first. One can order Halabi Kabab Batinjan at a Lebanese resturant in Holland Village (across the street from Tangos,on the corner).
This dish is described as follows: Minced lamb on a skewer with Aborigine, tomato sauce, pine kernels and chilies. :lol:
My group of friends and I (yes I DO have some :wink: ) took a photo of this (after we'd finished rolling around the floor with laughter).I don't know how to attach it here so I'm gonna send it to sms, maybe he can?
Anyway we were all laughing our heads off at yet another case of 'lost (and eaten) in translation'. So we explained to the waiter that it's illegal to serve native Australian people to the diners! And then we DID, in the end, discover what was meant by the 'Aborigine'. (A spell-check incident has clearly caused a major bungle to their menu.) Can you guess? Have a go! No using the spell check!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:08 pm

Aubergine?

x9200

Re: Aborigine on the menu

Postby x9200 » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:35 pm

After having chicken sanitizer on one of the Gili Islands I would rather prefer some Aborigines. But this is all not that interesting as I am very sure everybody is just dying to know whether you shared your table :-)

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:40 pm

k1w1 wrote:Aubergine?

He he! Bingo K1W1! And we ordered it and it was great! No native Aussies in it at all...mm....although I can only presume that the lamb WAS lamb! :wink:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Re: Aborigine on the menu

Postby ozchick » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:46 pm

x9200 wrote:After having [i]chicken sanitizer...

LOL! Well that's just hilarious!!!! :lol:

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 11:50 pm

Plenty of these around. I'm still working up the courage to try the Garlic Infested Chicken at a stall in the basement of Vivocity :o
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 02 Nov 2009 2:16 am

ozchick wrote:

He he! Bingo K1W1! And we ordered it and it was great! No native Aussies in it at all...mm....although I can only presume that the lamb WAS lamb! :wink:
Don't spoil your day! When i was in Beijing back in the 90's, I devoured what i thought was peppered beef every night, until i walked past the shop after 11 pm and was witness to the slaughtering of a dog, while it was skinned alive, and I'm not joking!

Though you know when you have had dog meat, because you feel the warmth inside, the body. Most are husky type of dogs, though one day I got too friendly with a german shepard a couple of weeks old and was told not to encourage it, because it was going in the pot! Cat's let's not go there unless you can handle it, but basically if it moves, you can eat it! When we die, they the creepies eat you too! No wonder there is plenty of protein in maggots :lol: I guess we are all part of the food chain. :cry: Lets hope it's not Mc the Donald, with spice :roll:

Though tonight we did visit Newton Circus for the first time in 5 years, and I really wasn't impressed by the mentality of being pestered, so I doubt we will do that again. I had 5 hovering around me, and i told them straight, what pissed me off, without dropping anything in the suggestion box. Competition is tough and lets face it, do we really need so many? We settled for someone, that was more customer friendly and never even suggested buying their food and it was A okay, but not the best laksa in Town. Kovan heartland mall is the tastiest and cheapest at 2.50.

Just goes to show you how expats make a difference in Newton!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 02 Nov 2009 3:54 pm

ksl wrote:
ozchick wrote:

Don't spoil your day! When i was in Beijing back in the 90's, I devoured what i thought was peppered beef every night, until i walked past the shop after 11 pm and was witness to the slaughtering of a dog, while it was skinned alive, and I'm not joking!

Though you know when you have had dog meat, because you feel the warmth inside, the body. Most are husky type of dogs, though one day I got too friendly with a german shepard a couple of weeks old and was told not to encourage it, because it was going in the pot! Cat's let's not go there unless you can handle it, but basically if it moves, you can eat it! When we die, they the creepies eat you too! No wonder there is plenty of protein in maggots :lol: I guess we are all part of the food chain. :cry: Lets hope it's not Mc the Donald, with spice :roll:

!

OMG Kayser- PLEASE don't write stuff like this...ooh I don't feel good anymore and it's your fault...ooh I was having a nice afternoon...(says she as she goes off to chunder...)

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:12 am

I've always found aborigine to be quite bitter...

Return to “General Discussions”