Singapore Expats

What type of Businesses have expat wives started here?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Debbie007
Regular
Regular

What type of Businesses have expat wives started here?

Post by Debbie007 » Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:28 am

I am quite new here and would like to know what other expat wives have done to keep themselves busy here. What are some business ideas that have been started up here?

belskies

Post by belskies » Mon, 16 Nov 2009 9:25 pm

I have came across dining and photography studio.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:24 pm

Years ago, (before the advent of internet forums) a couple of wives here started a "Welcome Wagon" sort of business where companies would engage them to help ease the new incoming expats families into Singapore. Course boards like this make it totally unnecessary now, so use some imagination?

I believe another currently has a cooking school for maid and such. I think the link is in my links page below.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:30 am

There are many opportunities, you just have to look inside yourself and ask yourself, what are you good at...be it communication, creative, practical, just choose and have a go! In fact if you send your CV and a list of hobbies, past times, and pleasures I'm sure SMS and others can guide you in the right direction! Must be legal though! I wouldn't like to dig up old posts on OMO washing powder :lol: Unless you could see the funny side to it! :) But true story all the same!

Debbie007
Regular
Regular

Expat

Post by Debbie007 » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 7:58 am

Okay, thanks. I'll start brainwashing and see where there's a niche here.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 9:13 am

I think your business will need to be oriented to catering to other expats or MNC type companies, as if you are considering a B2B type venture, you probably won't get far.

I know people who have formed their own business (sole prop or pte ltd) then contracted themselves out as managers, accountants, design, etc to organizations, using their professional skills. I'd guess that if you have a flair for design an ad in Expat Living would get you some business. I know women who have run successful party planning and catering for events... setting the theme and handling all the details.

I can't say much about retail... a lot of folks ideas of entrepreneurship here consist of opening one more salon in a mall with 50 already in place. But who knows? Pilates gym? Food fad? Children's related? Some theme type store might work.

Consider joining a number of expat volunteer organizations as a way to meet possible business associates and gain new ideas.

Debbie007
Regular
Regular

Expat Wives

Post by Debbie007 » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:17 am

Thanks for your ideas. What are MNC type companies and what is a B2B type venture? I will look into Expat Associations to see what other people have been up to but ideally I would like to possibly sell something from home and be internet-based. That way I can call my own hours and still be home for my son. I know I'll figure something out. I just need to get out there and see where there's a hole in the market and I agree that it will have to be geared towards other expats. Singapore seems to have just about everything a person could possibly need but I'm sure there's something missing that just can't be bought here....

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Expat Wives

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:42 am

Debbie007 wrote:Thanks for your ideas. What are MNC type companies and what is a B2B type venture? I will look into Expat Associations to see what other people have been up to but ideally I would like to possibly sell something from home and be internet-based. That way I can call my own hours and still be home for my son. I know I'll figure something out. I just need to get out there and see where there's a hole in the market and I agree that it will have to be geared towards other expats. Singapore seems to have just about everything a person could possibly need but I'm sure there's something missing that just can't be bought here....
Internet does not go very far... the island is so small you can drive to wherever you want and see the stuff in person.

B2B = business to business marketing

MNC = multi nationals - local companies will usually hire local over expat.

Debbie007
Regular
Regular

Expat Wives

Post by Debbie007 » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:30 pm

Okay, cheers.