Singapore Expats

What are Dependent Pass Holders suppose to do here?????

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Debbie007
Regular
Regular

What are Dependent Pass Holders suppose to do here?????

Post by Debbie007 » Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:08 am

I have now been here for 3 months and am on a Dependent Pass. I am slowly discovering how bloody hard it is to get a part time job here. First of all, I don't want a full-time helper or even a part-time one to look after my 7 year old son. Even if I find a job that is within his school hours, he still has almost 17 weeks off a year so who looks after him on those days?
There is something called Student Care but they charge you $400.00 a month even if you only use 2 hours worth. That will pretty much wipe out most of my part time earnings. I've asked to work at the school but no luck. They already have a long waiting list. Can somebody please tell me what educated moms with kids are suppose to do here for work so that they have some gratification at the end of their day???? I'd appreciate any advice please. (already tired of luncheons and tennis...) :???:

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Post by smayrhofer » Fri, 30 Oct 2009 1:02 pm

tutoring is a big business here. you can work on your own time and schedule, and you don't need permission to do this if you stick to home tuition.

Debbie007
Regular
Regular

Dependent pass holder

Post by Debbie007 » Sat, 31 Oct 2009 4:21 am

You mention tutoring. Do you mean tutoring English? I was thinking about that and will possibly look into a course at the British Council. I'm assuming I need to be qualified to do this or is there another way? Are there other subjects to tutor in and how do I go about looking for work with this and what if any qualifications do I need? I am now intrigued. Thank you.