Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Carlotti1975

Cutio's question and everyone's responses

Postby Carlotti1975 » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 8:28 pm

Guys,

Thanks to Cutio's question about moving to Singapore and everyone's responses to that - as skimming through it gave me some insights as well.

I'm a 34 year old guy transferring from London to Singapore around February 2010 and like many, have the initial trepidations about the challenges of starting over in a new place. I've had an international upbringing as lived in a number of countries growing up so breaking the ice comes naturally - but it's still nice to click with people and make new friends.

What I personally took from the various responses is that one needs to be out there and make a conscious effort, which is also the case with any place. So I am hoping to catch up with some of you guys when I'm landed and hopefully embarking on some things outside working.

It would however be nice to make a few online mates here in the interim, so please feel free to drop me a note.

All the best,

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:25 pm

mauvecloud wrote:in singapore, an island full of beautiful, svelte chinese women

I've seen svelte and I've seen Chinese but where's beautiful?!?!?!?
:P :P :P

It's a joke, ok? Now...put down the torches and the pitchforks...

You'll know a guy's relationship with his mom by:

* listening if he ever and how he talks about her
* seeing if he introduces you to her
* how he behaves when she's around.

No need to complicate things further.

mauvecloud
Chatter
Chatter

Postby mauvecloud » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:35 pm

nakatago wrote:
mauvecloud wrote:in singapore, an island full of beautiful, svelte chinese women

I've seen svelte and I've seen Chinese but where's beautiful?!?!?!?
:P :P :P

It's a joke, ok? Now...put down the torches and the pitchforks...

You'll know a guy's relationship with his mom by:

* listening if he ever and how he talks about her
* seeing if he introduces you to her
* how he behaves when she's around.

No need to complicate things further.

They are pretty by virtue of being Chinese and svelte. Or so they were taught since the cradle.

Seriously, dating a home-grown singaporean princess can be as bad for the foreign guy as it is for a foreign girl to date the much oppressed singaporean slave er i mean man.

ETA: Basically it's the slave-princess dichotomy that makes man-woman relationships so scr*wed up not just in singapore, but the rest of SE Asia as well.

You local people can skewer me with bbq thingie at ECP tomorrow man. hahaha

cutio1979

Postby cutio1979 » Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:26 am

Hi Everyone,

Carlotti 1975 welcome to the forum. I am about to finish up work here in Oz and travel for amonth before arriving in singers Mid Jan but feel free to stay in touch (and anyone else) on my email: themeerkatqueen@hotmail.com

Thanks for everyones responses - varied and interesting thats for sure! I am a brit and like to say it how it is (not in an obnoxious or arogant way either) so I think I will be ok. Having lived in Hong Kong for 2 years I am well versed and aware of asian culture and how to live in such multi cultural environments. From my own experiences both in HK and Australia I think you just have to get out there and seize every opportunity that comes your way - you never know what you will get out of it and you always learn something! Tbnere is also something to be said for stepping out of your comfort zone - it makes us all better people.

anyway, thats enopugh for now, the aussie sunshine, beach and beers calls. I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you in the new year

Rachel

Divinity

Postby Divinity » Fri, 27 Nov 2009 5:00 pm

[quote="macaroonie"]haha what can i say... :???: i've never met a local guy who is willing to stick up for his partner, the mother truly comes first (someone prove me wrong here!)[/quote]

I couldn't resist commenting on this. I truly agree with macaroonie. I just got out of a long term relationship with a local guy. And I am still clueless! The power of the mother over the son is astounding.

No matter how unreasonable the mum get, she still wins at the end of the day, and no matter how much I give in, it still doesn't matter even if I put in effort to get to know the family.

I guess it attributes to the fact that majority of the local men still live with their parents/family even in their late 20s hence maybe the whole "mummy's boy" syndrome is still there. Not ALL of them though.

SO yes, ive yet to meet a guy who is willing to stick up for his partner (when the partner needs it most). So maybe I need a change of air, and look for those with non-asian Moms. :lol:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:42 pm

Not all Asian guys are mommy's boys. I think it's because the nice guys girls tend to fall for are mommy's boys. I think you can easily find guys who'll stand up to their moms for their girls. Unfortunately, those that have a healthy dislike for their mothers are not attractive enough for most girls--they're psychopaths, narcissists or nerds. If not those, they're taken. Or gay. :-|

Divinity

Postby Divinity » Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:13 pm

Nakatago, you got me laughing there. You're right. Maybe without realising it, nice girls do fall for mummy's boys. And oh well nice guys are either taken or gay that is kinda true. :lol: