Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
nhrk

Re: hi nhrk

Postby nhrk » Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:26 pm

gt200 wrote:hey nhrk...

you make the situation sound so bad. i believe it is not that bad either here in Singapore. Well im a local here too but i often do go for work travel to other countries. what you are experiencing are the same as other people visiting/working/immigrating to other country.

but im sure...once you are settle down, life would be much better.

anyway..if you prefer a quite place to chill out..try dempsey hill and i would recommend you to try chill out at sentosa beach at night.. it is a beautiful sight.

you can msn me modicc@hotmail.com

LOL, forgive me, i'm only being my very cynical self. I reckon if you live to never expect much, then life is way better a surprise. Expectation, to me, only leads to disappointment and life's way too short to be wallowing in the bottomless pits. (:

I don't think you can't make friends or date here, don't get me wrong. All I'm saying is that really shouldn't be the top of the priority list. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, who cares? I didn't think it'd be taken to the extremes on the interpretation really, but in any case, I apologise if I've offended any.

Of course tho, most people take it (and me) very differently but ah well. I consider myself to be a pessimistic optimist. I live to be walking contradiction of a juxtaposition.

xx
you'll never walk alone, baby.

cutio1979

Postby cutio1979 » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 6:32 am

Thanks for everyones replies. I arrive in January and look forward to meeting some of you hopefully. I am not worried about making friends and the dating situation sounds like Hong Kong (where I lived a while back) so at least my expectations are managed on that front!

My priority for coming to singapore is my career and the opportunity I have been offered is a fantastic step up. anything else I expereince on top will be a bonus!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 8:54 am

Congratulations are in order I guess, cutio1979.

Personally, all I ask is for a chance to prove that money can't buy me happiness. :P

gt200

Postby gt200 » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 8:34 pm

well congrats and im sure it is a big step in your career....

im sure everything will fall into place eventually :)

Jase072

Postby Jase072 » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 2:29 pm

You'll love it hear....it is a fun place to be and as someone earlier mentioned it is easy to meet people if you get out of the house :-)

If you get stuck with anything or need any info on moving here just yell out for help.

cutio1979

Postby cutio1979 » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks. I start work the second week of January and will be in a Serviced Apartment. Any reccommendations on areas to live would be appreciated. I dont want to live too close to work!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 2:10 pm

cutio1979 wrote:Any reccommendations on areas to live would be appreciated. I dont want to live too close to work!

Uh, ok. Where will you be working and what are your lifestyle preferences?

gt200

Postby gt200 » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 3:55 pm

that would depend on where your work location is located at.

any idea?

cutio1979

Postby cutio1979 » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 8:50 am

I will be working Raffles place. My lifestyle is pretty social. I am probably out on an evening more than I am at home

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 9:07 am

Just on the top of my head and to help you conduct your searches (your mileage may vary):

* Tiong Bahru
* River Valley

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macaroonie » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:09 am

I think what is more difficult besides just making friends, is being able to relate to the people here. If you come in with the expectation that it's just an experience and you have no preconceived ideas about the place, then adjusting would be easier. But if you expect to fit in and relate to people here on the same level as back home, then that is an uphill task.

The expectations of a local partner (and may i also say his family!) are very different compared to the west! You are not just in a relationship with him, but his family (in particular the mother) - anyway this is another long story..

gt200

Postby gt200 » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 1:18 pm

macaroonie, you are turning her off man. haha.

but i think we should put that aside first.

btw cutio, i think you can find apartments around these area..

as mentioned ealier,

tiong bahru, river valley, redhill area, beach rd, club street, penang rd...

plenty actually.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macaroonie » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 2:44 pm

haha what can i say... :???: i've never met a local guy who is willing to stick up for his partner, the mother truly comes first (someone prove me wrong here!)

gt200

Postby gt200 » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 7:32 pm

well...look further.. you might just find one actually.

better not to hope too much..who knows you might just find the guy.

:)

mauvecloud
Chatter
Chatter

Postby mauvecloud » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 8:19 pm

just my $0.02

if you look at it from an evolutionary point of view, mothers of local guys would be singaporean women who have successfully snagged a poor, unsuspecting bugger and bred. <-- now this is really a tough task in singapore, an island full of beautiful, svelte chinese women and increasingly street-smart men!

Given that they were aggressive enough to have done so, they would be just as resistant to letting go of their male progenies as well.

so, maybe look for guys who have non-asian moms? lol
Last edited by mauvecloud on Thu, 26 Nov 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.