Singapore Expats Forum

Is downloading of software from rapidshare.com is illegal?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
itsmesanju
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 11 Sep 2009

Is downloading of software from rapidshare.com is illegal?

Postby itsmesanju » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 6:12 pm

Hi Friends,

I have a rapidshare premium account and i paid for it. Can i download the software/movies/music/ from rapidshare.com in singapore? is it illegal?

i am paying for downloading the content......

Please reply

User avatar
Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed, 07 Feb 2007
Location: Hong Kong (bye bye SG!)

Postby Asdracles » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 6:15 pm

Rapidshare itself is legal.

The problem is if you download illegal stuff from there. That's ilegal.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35120
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 6:19 pm

I thought the only thing on rapidshare was porn? :shock:

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 6:54 pm

... and spyware, malware, virus, trojan, adware, etc.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11060
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 7:03 pm

durain wrote:... and spyware, malware, virus, trojan, adware, etc.


and illegal software.

To the OP... do you really think that software that costs hundreds of dollars from the manufacturer would be legal for a few bucks on rapidshare? Hello?

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Postby blue_thunder » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 9:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
durain wrote:... and spyware, malware, virus, trojan, adware, etc.


and illegal software.

To the OP... do you really think that software that costs hundreds of dollars from the manufacturer would be legal for a few bucks on rapidshare? Hello?


How about movies for which you cant find the DVD / VCD / Magnetic tape :P
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:00 pm

blue_thunder wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
durain wrote:... and spyware, malware, virus, trojan, adware, etc.


and illegal software.

To the OP... do you really think that software that costs hundreds of dollars from the manufacturer would be legal for a few bucks on rapidshare? Hello?


How about movies for which you cant find the DVD / VCD / Magnetic tape :P


DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. :P :P :P :P :P

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Postby blue_thunder » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:29 pm

nakatago wrote:
blue_thunder wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
durain wrote:... and spyware, malware, virus, trojan, adware, etc.


and illegal software.

To the OP... do you really think that software that costs hundreds of dollars from the manufacturer would be legal for a few bucks on rapidshare? Hello?


How about movies for which you cant find the DVD / VCD / Magnetic tape :P


DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. :P :P :P :P :P


:shooting:
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:02 pm

where's that matrix bullet dodging clip I have? gone? lemme just fire up rapidshare... :twisted:

itsmesanju
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 11 Sep 2009

Postby itsmesanju » Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:28 am

thanks guy. I should not user rapidshare or any other site for downloading in singapore....

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:35 am

itsmesanju wrote:thanks guy. I should not user rapidshare or any other site for downloading in singapore....


Technically, it's not illegal. For example, you asked a friend for that copy of your reunion pictures which is just too big for email attachment, a video you took from your cousin's wedding or a photoshop file of some poster you're working on. So, you upload to some web storage service, like rapidshare from which people can download later on.

However, people have instead used it to spread pirated software, movies, and music. The sharing service may be legal (I'm not sure; will need to review their terms of agreement) but people used it to share illegal stuff. The same goes for bittorrent. You torrent the latest distribution of ubuntu = legal; you use it to get windows 7 cracked = illegal.

User avatar
D_Mika
Regular
Regular
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby D_Mika » Sat, 31 Oct 2009 5:33 pm

yup yup yup .. If you share a file, which is Copyright protected to someone else other than you or your friends.. i think its illegal.. :shock:
Warning: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athletes.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35120
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Oct 2009 7:51 pm

D_Mika wrote:yup yup yup .. If you share a file, which is Copyright protected to someone else other than you or your friends.. i think its illegal.. :shock:


Hate to tell you this, but sharing it with your friends is also illegal. So is sharing it with yourself if you have multiple computers.

Unless, that is, the license specifically indicates the ability to share with up to 3 PCs in the same household like some products are now doing.

User avatar
D_Mika
Regular
Regular
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby D_Mika » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:33 am

aha.. Thats true.. I mean If you create your won video or a video that done by one of your friends and if you both want to share if .. using Rapidshare or a torrent is totally legal. But if the copyrights does mention something about sharing .. Well then you gotta check it more closely . :)
Warning: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athletes.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9314
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 9:26 am

D_Mika wrote:aha.. Thats true.. I mean If you create your won video or a video that done by one of your friends and if you both want to share if .. using Rapidshare or a torrent is totally legal.

It is. With one remark: In many countries personal image (not sure about the legal term - right of publicity?) is protected so placing videos or photos showing other people in any type of the service with unrestricted access may require their permission.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pitermike and 1 guest