Singapore Expats

Buy from outside of Singapore, deliver by Vpost

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 3:44 pm

Be careful about grouping items together for a combined shipment, you could be liable for customs duties if the value exceeds $400. There goes your savings.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Orchard

vPost doesn't deliver good service!

Post by Orchard » Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:33 pm

I have similar experience with vPost. They tend to charge very high shipping fees for shipping my purchases from the US to Singapore.

Often, they don't stick to their promised delivery schedules.

If any of my purchases is broken, it will be very hard to get any compensation from them.

A couple of months ago, I started using razzy.com to buy some books from amazon.com. The experience was quite good. They charge me in S$ and all their S$ prices include airfreight charges. I knew the full prices before I placed the orders. They claim that their airfreight charges are the lowest in Singapore.

Why not check it out.

x9200

Re: vPost doesn't deliver good service!

Post by x9200 » Sat, 28 Nov 2009 8:06 am

Orchard wrote:A couple of months ago, I started using razzy.com to buy some books from amazon.com. The experience was quite good. They charge me in S$ and all their S$ prices include airfreight charges. I knew the full prices before I placed the orders. They claim that their airfreight charges are the lowest in Singapore.

Why not check it out.
I bought a few photographic albums directly from Amazon early this year and they were heavy and not too small either. I believe close to 7kg. Amazon charged me ~USD13 and I got it delivered to my doorsteps within 10 days or so. Hard to believe any other company can get it faster and cheaper. As I mentioned earlier in this thread Amazon seems to have its own delivery service to Singapore.

tzi

Buy from Amazon

Post by tzi » Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:52 am

I understand that amazon.com only sends books and CDs to Singapore direct. Photo albums are considered as publications and they do ship to Singapore.

However, if you buy other products, such as digital cameras, consumer electronic goods, etc., they don't ship them to Singapore.

That's why you have to use the other portals such as razzy.com or vPost.com to ship these products to you in Singapore.

I've used both of them and I find that razzy seems to be easier to use as it prices all products in Sing Dollar. I don't have to worry about exchange rate fluctuations of US$.

x9200

Re: Buy from Amazon

Post by x9200 » Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:21 am

tzi wrote:I understand that amazon.com only sends books and CDs to Singapore direct. Photo albums are considered as publications and they do ship to Singapore.

However, if you buy other products, such as digital cameras, consumer electronic goods, etc., they don't ship them to Singapore.

That's why you have to use the other portals such as razzy.com or vPost.com to ship these products to you in Singapore.
I know that. But perhaps you failed to notice what Orchard stated. Here is a little help:
I started using razzy.com to buy some books from amazon.com.
I only questioned this part.
tzi wrote: I've used both of them and I find that razzy seems to be easier to use as it prices all products in Sing Dollar. I don't have to worry about exchange rate fluctuations of US$.
Hmmm, perhaps I am getting a bit paranoid but I have this overwhelming impression that you and Orchard (if different) have something more to do with razzy than ordinary purchasing experience.

tzi

Buy from Amazon

Post by tzi » Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:06 pm

In the past, I used to use vPost very often and got a bit frustrated with its service -- the way they asked me to fill in their US address and the way they quoted me the shipping charges after I had placed my orders.

Then I started searching for other sites.

A friend of mine from DBS, which sponsored the launch of razzy, recommended me to try it in the beginning of this year. So far, the experience has been not bad.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Buy from Amazon

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Nov 2009 1:05 pm

x9200 wrote:
tzi wrote:I understand that amazon.com only sends books and CDs to Singapore direct. Photo albums are considered as publications and they do ship to Singapore.

That's why you have to use the other portals such as tarazz.com or vPost.com to ship these products to you in Singapore.
I know that. But perhaps you failed to notice what Orchard stated. Here is a little help:
I started using tarazz.com to buy some books from amazon.com.
I only questioned this part.
tzi wrote: I've used both of them and I find that tarazz seems to be easier to use as it prices all products in Sing Dollar. I don't have to worry about exchange rate fluctuations of US$.
Hmmm, perhaps I am getting a bit paranoid but I have this overwhelming impression that you and Orchard (if different) have something more to do with tarazz than ordinary purchasing experience.
Good spot x9200!

I've been watching orchard for two days now. Was pretty sure but tzi confirmed it. Both are posting from the same addy. Say good bye to them. :wave:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sherlockian21

Post by sherlockian21 » Sun, 29 Nov 2009 1:40 pm

for books you'll be better off buying from online bookstore called opentrolley. they have a wide range of titles (1 million they say) and stock most of amazon's books.

if dvd, no choice, go amazon. cheapest in singapore still gramomophone

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 29 Nov 2009 2:19 pm

sherlockian21 wrote:for books you'll be better off buying from online bookstore called opentrolley. they have a wide range of titles (1 million they say) and stock most of amazon's books.
Opentrolley looks really good. Thanks for the info.

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular

Post by rattlesnake » Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:44 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with www.usglobalmail.com or similar US remailers. I am seriously thinking of becoming a member of one of these services which also provide you with a US address. They also advertise repacking for items overpacked in large boxes.

sherlockian21

Post by sherlockian21 » Mon, 30 Nov 2009 1:35 pm

rattlesnake wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with www.usglobalmail.com or similar US remailers. I am seriously thinking of becoming a member of one of these services which also provide you with a US address. They also advertise repacking for items overpacked in large boxes.
i'd suggest u choose companies with local presence like vpost, comgateway or borderlinx. any american can just setup these services then vanished.

GeorgeStevens

Never use Vpost, except for high value, light objects

Post by GeorgeStevens » Sat, 09 Jan 2010 3:53 pm

:(

I will never use Vpost again after a *HUGE* bill this Christmas (S$400)! I spent more in shipping than the original cost of the products. The main problem was the ecommerce companies in the USA- at Christmas, they ship in multiple orders in the first box they find. I had one box that cost S$55 to ship that had a single deck of cards in the bottom! Even books came in much larger wrappings than necessary sometimes.

Unless you are buying a single small item of high value (say, Netbook or camera), I would avoid Vpost, because of the high cost of unconsolidated packages...

Tried OpenTrolley, too- not happy with my purchase there, either, because they take longer to get the shipment to you than it takes to mail from USA! (not kidding- placed an order for coffee from San Francisco at the same time as order for books from Singapore company- coffee got here first! They do not know how to run a company).

For books, I'm going to try the Book Depository in the UK next (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/)- free worldwide delivery, or Acmamall here in Singapore (http://www.acmamall.com/)- they have free delivery and lower prices than OpenTrolley...

George

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 09 Jan 2010 6:03 pm

Again, see my post in this thread about a US-based company to do exactly what some here are looking for, it's tried and tested.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

GeorgeStevens

Post by GeorgeStevens » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 6:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Be careful about grouping items together for a combined shipment, you could be liable for customs duties if the value exceeds $400. There goes your savings.
With VPost, if you have several orders in that you ask to ship at once, they only charge you VAT if any individual order is over S$400. I don't know about the other consolidators.
EADG wrote:Again, see my post in this thread about a US-based company to do exactly what some here are looking for, it's tried and tested.
Took a look at your recommended site, MyUS- S$65 to ship a 1 lb package! Probably good if you are shipping a lot, and I would have saved money if I had used them at Christmas, because they repack. But for smaller orders or books, as discussed in this thread, they seem very expensive.

Tried orders with the 3 on-line book stores I talked about earlier- OpenTrolley, Acmamall and the Book Depository- here’s the results (all orders were for books shown as “in-stock”

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 7:23 pm

I have often ordered books from Amazon that were cheaper than Borders at Wheelock and arrived in 3 days time. For other items I use VSHub.com. Brilliant!