Singapore Expats Forum

Advice on Divorce matters

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Maryme

Advice on Divorce matters

Postby Maryme » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:16 pm

Hello All,

Need ur help. I & my hubby are Singapore PR. We are married in India. My husband has filed a divorce in Singapore, but i wish to pursue my case in India. Can i deny the proceedings that he has initiated in Singapore? What are the implications? could anyone please advice.

Thanks so much.
Maryme

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Advice on Divorce matters

Postby ksl » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:38 am

Maryme wrote:Hello All,

Need ur help. I & my hubby are Singapore PR. We are married in India. My husband has filed a divorce in Singapore, but i wish to pursue my case in India. Can i deny the proceedings that he has initiated in Singapore? What are the implications? could anyone please advice.

Thanks so much.
Maryme

SMS would be the one to answer this, though, I doubt it, because India is out of jurisdiction if you are both resident of Singapore. I believe as a woman that is on PR you are at a disadvantage, you may be give 30 days to leave the Country after the divorce is final, though it does take a very long time here I believe, maybe 3 years separation.

Though i do know some Indians that are still here because they have children to look after, and they will always come first in the eyes of the law in most cases.
You need to consult the legal advice team that operates in the local community centres.

Maybe you can find others in the same situation here in Singapore that can help you out, you are heading for a very stressful period in your life, don't lose hope and talk to your local MP they may help out good luck!

DesertPhoenix

Postby DesertPhoenix » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 4:23 pm

Maryme, how long have you been living in Singapore? You can challenge the action initiated by your husband if you both have lived in Singapore for less than 3 years. You will need to consult a lawyer in this regard. Here's the link to the Law Society website that offers some advice: http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/public/you ... vorce.aspx

You should consider the pros and cons in getting the divorce in India/Spore. Spore law is significantly more favorable to the wife and the divorce can be completed in less time. Typically, if both parties agree to the divorce, it can be done within 4-6 months.