Singapore Expats Forum

LTVP questions.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
robatron6k

LTVP questions.

Postby robatron6k » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 6:27 pm

hello, i am looking to apply for a long term visit pass to stay in singapore. I am very new to all this so any advice would be appreciated. I am a us citizen and do not wanna leave my british expat girlfriend, and my vp expires on nov 13.

how hard is it to get a LTVP? also i've heard people talk about doing visa runs to get more 90 day visit passes, how do i do one of those?

any replies would be greatly appreciated, i have tried using the search functions but i can find anyone asking such a basic question.

jpatokal

Re: LTVP questions.

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 11:47 pm

robatron6k wrote:hello, i am looking to apply for a long term visit pass to stay in singapore. I am very new to all this so any advice would be appreciated. I am a us citizen and do not wanna leave my british expat girlfriend, and my vp expires on nov 13.

how hard is it to get a LTVP?

Long and short of it is, if you're not married to your girlfriend, it's quite difficult, but not entirely impossible, to get a LTSVP. Do you have any documentary proof that you were cohabiting before moving to Sg, and can you get your embassies to vouch for this?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: LTVP questions.

Postby ksl » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:19 am

jpatokal wrote:
robatron6k wrote:hello, i am looking to apply for a long term visit pass to stay in singapore. I am very new to all this so any advice would be appreciated. I am a us citizen and do not wanna leave my british expat girlfriend, and my vp expires on nov 13.

how hard is it to get a LTVP?

Long and short of it is, if you're not married to your girlfriend, it's quite difficult, but not entirely impossible, to get a LTSVP. Do you have any documentary proof that you were cohabiting before moving to Sg, and can you get your embassies to vouch for this?
JP hits the nail on the head! You need to prove you were cohabiting, you can do this under Oath, if you cannot document it, however god help you if you are not telling the truth! Singapore does and will check.

Though it is the quickest way, if you have no bills with both names on, you may need witness statements from neighbours too, and there is i believe a fixed period of time involved, before being accepted, in UK it used to be 2 years living together to qualify for welfare benefits as a cohabiting family, and they spy on you too :lol: Most married one's leave home to cheat the system and eventually get caught! Take a tip from one that used to walk the line, don't ever get caught in Singapore on the wrong side of the law! I'm sure the Brits train them still! I just cannot imagine an American with a wig on :P Well only down Bugis St! :lol: