Singapore Expats Forum

How does one do a visa run?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

robatron6k

How does one do a visa run?

Postby robatron6k » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 5:36 am

Okay, i think this may be a stupid question, but my 90 day visit pass comes to an end on nov 13, and i would really like to stay with my girlfriend here in Singapore. I've heard talk about visa runs to get another 90 day VP, but im not sure exactly how to do one.

My question is how does one do a visa run? do i need to wait till my visa is up to get a new VP or can i do it before, and how long do i have to stay out of the country? is there anything else i need to know? i am really new to all of this so any info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance,
Rob

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 4:19 pm

Use the search function. It has been discussed many times before. You can leave the country whenever you want before expiry of the 90 days as a tourist.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

robatron6k

Postby robatron6k » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 9:48 pm

but all the searches i turn up with ppl speak of them like they already know what they are and how to do em. plus i get a lot of out of dat info. please help i am getting so much conflicting info on the subject. I am a us citizen if that information is at all important.

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:32 pm

A day trip anywhere near... just accross in Malaysia, shopping day in HK will do the trick

Be aware however that at some point when you have done a few of them ( a few being a fluctuating definition...) ... they gonna start asking questions and can refuse you entry.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 11:32 pm

robatron6k wrote:but all the searches i turn up with ppl speak of them like they already know what they are and how to do em. plus i get a lot of out of dat info. please help i am getting so much conflicting info on the subject. I am a us citizen if that information is at all important.

Look, a visa run is basically a way to attempt to stay within the letter of the law (have a visa in your passport) while breaking its spirit (you're not supposed to stay long-term without a visa valid for that purpose), which is why there are no hard-and-fast rules. Just think of it from the point of view of the guy at Immigration who stamps you in. All of the following make you more suspicious:

- Repeated pattern of short-stay visas used until the very end (duh)
- Leaving/re-entering Sg by land (hmm, too poor to fly?)
- Leaving/re-entering Sg the very day your visa is set to expire (trying to stay here as long as possible, are we?)

Odds are that, as a US citizen, they'll give you another 90-day social visit pass without too much hassle. However, you'd better start thinking real hard about getting a real visa before 180 days rolls around...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 9:09 am

To add to what JP says, if you want to go this route:

a) Don't wait until you are nearly expired.
b) Go someplace 'logical' for a visitor... like an overnight trip to a hotel in Bintan.
c) When you get back you will _probably_ get 90 days.
d) Repeat this pattern to another tourist destination... say a trip to KL, then a trip to Bangkok, or Phuket or Bali.

But JP is correct... sooner or later an immigration official will decide not to extend you... and it is up to the individual immigration officer. You'll get 3 days to get gone, and your only option will be to apply for a long term pass, which may also be jeopardized if ICA thinks you've been pulling a fast one.

CVanessa

apply to a long term visa

Postby CVanessa » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:44 am

ok ok no more
Last edited by CVanessa on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: apply to a long term visa

Postby Saint » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 4:31 pm

CVanessa wrote:I think you should better apply to a EP, you're USA citizen, sure you'll get it for sure. Do you have good qualifications? like a degree or a master?? Do you intend to find a job or something?

http://www.prlog.org/10031692-singapore ... -hunt.html

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=173&secid=171

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... ction.html

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... oyees.html

If you have doubts just go down to MOM and ask them what to do to get a EP

It's pretty obvious you don't know the workings of an EP :roll:

Probably the most inaccurate and worst bit of advise posted on here for a while!

CVanessa

Postby CVanessa » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 5:43 pm

Last edited by CVanessa on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 8:23 pm

Saint wrote:
It's pretty obvious you don't know the workings of an EP :roll:

Probably the most inaccurate and worst bit of advise posted on here for a while!

Saint,

I saw that post this afternoon and had to bite my fingers to keep from typing what you did.........

Thanks!