Good property agents? an oxymoron ?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Good property agents? an oxymoron ?

Post by macaroonie » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 9:14 am

Is there such thing as good, honest, decent property agents in this country? And before someone asks, what do i mean by good...? Well someone who if representing the renter, has the renter's best interests at heart, will be there throughout the tenancy agreement when problems arise, doesn't take off with your deposit, doesn't all of a sudden become non contactable after you've signed the contract, will help and represent you when there are disagreements and will show you places that you need rather than places that have a higher commission margin for them - do such decent property agents exist here?

Must finally becoming cynical ....

Singapore Property Search

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 9:51 am

Yes. Contact us. :cool:
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 9:54 am

sorry mate, have tried you guys before...i flew in from london and had arranged with someone in your team to show me a few places but when i arrived the person didn't honour his side, didn't show up and hadn't organised any places to view even after giving him at least a months notice for him to arrange something and him saying he would show up...

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:15 am

You should have complaint to our office about it.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:28 am

Yah should have complained much more loudly..

On another note, why do agents always say "oh that price can not find.." when i found several on the internet at that price or cheaper...are there no more honest agents? :mad:

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:43 am

macaroonie wrote:Yah should have complained much more loudly..

On another note, why do agents always say "oh that price can not find.." when i found several on the internet at that price or cheaper...are there no more honest agents? :mad:
Many of the adverts on the various internet portals are fake and the agent doesn't actual have the property for rent and they just want to reel you in as a client. You can spot these adverts a mile off as they only show generic pictures of the outside of the condo complex and none of the inside of the actual apartment.

Previously when looking for an apartment I would only enquire about apartments where the agent has actually taken the time to take inside pictures and included them in the advert.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 1:09 pm

Saint wrote:

Many of the adverts on the various internet portals are fake and the agent doesn't actual have the property for rent and they just want to reel you in as a client. You can spot these adverts a mile off as they only show generic pictures of the outside of the condo complex and none of the inside of the actual apartment.

Previously when looking for an apartment I would only enquire about apartments where the agent has actually taken the time to take inside pictures and included them in the advert.
Or...

in advert: 2400 SGD
during call: 2500 SGD
during viewing: 2800 SGD
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 2:14 pm

nakatago wrote:
Saint wrote:

Or...

during viewing: 2800 SGD
Or....

Piss off, you've picked the wrong person to try and con
call ended:

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 4:15 pm

We should compile a list of the dirty tricks and scams we experience when renting a place... i am sure it would be of great amusement, interest and of help to many !

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 4:35 pm

To me, the URA site (http://www.ura.gov.sg/) tells you already what prices are being rented out for.

So I figure only a fool will get conned. :P

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 7:29 pm

Pal wrote:You should have complaint to our office about it.
See after so many complaints, nothing seems to have changed.

Bit like today I asked if the car sales people can send over a jpeg of a car I want to purchase. I get a reply saying its inconvenient to send it and I have to go to the show room to see it. The last time I trekked all the way to the showroom in some Singaporean boondock the car was not even there.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 7:50 pm

aargon wrote:To me, the URA site (http://www.ura.gov.sg/) tells you already what prices are being rented out for.

not really a con, but a mild form of bait and switch. they like wasting people's time.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

LeeYii

Post by LeeYii » Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:55 pm

tbh, in Singapore you will seldom come across an agent that will provide good (and honest) service and after-sale service.

My mum was lucky to come across an agent that went all out to get a HDB loan when my family was buying a new HDB flat (Got the loan by the way). It really depends on luck and whether you have the contacts around.

i think the best way to prevent from getting conned is to use more than one agent, typically in Singapore, agent are only paid when the deal go throught. So you can always call up more than one agent and ask for the price/rental range in a certain area, this will give u an idea of what is the market value of the apartment/house you want.

and after-sale service, agents don't provide after sales service usually, unless you pay them to do so.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:49 am

aargon wrote:To me, the URA site (http://www.ura.gov.sg/) tells you already what prices are being rented out for.

Only shows where there have been at least 10 rental transactions in a single quarter so the smaller complexes will never show up. Even the larger complexes that quote the average price psf don't take in to account the tenant. who's paying the rent, number of bedrooms etc.

To be honest, this would be the last site I would refer to as it doesn't tell you how many have been conned!

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Wed, 21 Oct 2009 2:47 am

Saint wrote:
To be honest, this would be the last site I would refer to as it doesn't tell you how many have been conned!
Thats easy, its the top 75% quartile who are being conned :P

I think at a minimum, you go for the median price, and settle for the 25th quartile. Thats when you know you have a good deal.

Lets take for example The sail condo -
75th quartile $4.90 psf
median $4.53 psf
25th quartile $4.06 psf

The avg price psf for a 880sqf apartment on this site ranges from as high as 7.28 psf, to as low as 4.76 psf with most price ranges hovering around the 5.6-6.0 psf region.

Lets say you manage to negotiate your way down from a 5.6psf room to 4.90 psf. That might sound like a good deal, affectively negotiating down a $4,928 (880*5.6) per month room to $4,312 (880*4.9) per month. A saving of roughly $600 per month.

Well, actually you`ve been CONNED! :D

At the URA rates, you should have aimed for $4.53 or $3,986 per month (880*4.53) and good deal would have been $4.06 or $3,572 per month, which is a 28% DISCOUNT to the advertised listing price.

If you do the maths, and give or take a few $$ for furniture or room size (smaller room, maybe higher psf is reasonable), you cant possibly get fooled by agents.

Agents cannot be trusted. Its like giving candy to a baby.

That is my motto.

So good luck and happy hunting everyone. :)