Singapore Expats Forum

Bladeless fan!

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
mrlily
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2009
Contact:

Bladeless fan!

Postby mrlily » Fri, 16 Oct 2009 6:06 pm

if you have a spare 5mins to kill check out this fan

http://www.dyson.com/technology/airmultiplier.asp

bit pricey though.
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Fri, 16 Oct 2009 7:10 pm

far too expensive! someone will do something "similar" cheaper, just like how they did it with dyson cyclone vacuum cleaner.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10731
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Oct 2009 8:41 pm

There is a fan in it... you just can't see it.

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Postby econoMIC » Fri, 16 Oct 2009 9:24 pm

Me likes the idea and design. However agree with durain.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

mrlily
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2009
Contact:

Postby mrlily » Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:14 pm

ya, would b interesting to c the internal workings of its base too.
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10731
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:05 pm

mrlily wrote:ya, would b interesting to c the internal workings of its base too.


Pretty simple, really. There is a brushless motor (aka AC induction motor) in the base, probably at the very bottom. The motor shaft is aligned vertically. There will be a fan blade just above the darker markings on the base (which are air intakes). The fan sucks the air in, then drives it into the circular cowl.

What's really wierd is that the motor and plastic parts can't cost more than about 20 bux... can you say 'making a killing'?

PS: 'Amplified air'? Snake oil terminology if I've ever heard it.

User avatar
muterabbit
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 13 Oct 2009

Postby muterabbit » Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:53 pm

hope china will do "shan zhai" version very quickly

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4290
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sun, 18 Oct 2009 8:04 pm

Having had experience simlar to others of Mr Dysons 'wonderful' hoover, I wouldn't put too much faith in it either. I agree with durain too.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4290
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sun, 18 Oct 2009 8:08 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
What's really wierd is that the motor and plastic parts can't cost more than about 20 bux... can you say 'making a killing'?



Since Mr Dyson is very good at marketing his products and stringing the public along, well yes if people for it. Here's something to consider Dyson's hoover cost around £170 and last around two years before parts need replacing which in my cost about £80. These days you can buy a new hoover for around £30 pound just as good and lasts way longer - so I am told.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Sun, 18 Oct 2009 8:12 pm

Plavt wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
What's really wierd is that the motor and plastic parts can't cost more than about 20 bux... can you say 'making a killing'?



Since Mr Dyson is very good at marketing his products and stringing the public along, well yes if people for it. Here's something to consider Dyson's hoover cost around £170 and last around two years before parts need replacing which in my cost about £80. These days you can buy a new hoover for around £30 pound just as good and lasts way longer - so I am told.


Cant shoot the guy down for thinking out of the box.

mrlily
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2009
Contact:

Postby mrlily » Sun, 18 Oct 2009 8:55 pm

Plavt wrote:Since Mr Dyson is very good at marketing his products and stringing the public along


odd comment man, u'll always pay a premium for new tech (until the time someone copies the idea and mass markets it), and fair enough too! take the iphone for example, initially the price was rediculous, now... it's slightly less rediculous


QRM wrote:Cant shoot the guy down for thinking out of the box.

fully agree, well done mr dyson.
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4290
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sun, 18 Oct 2009 9:27 pm

mrlily wrote:odd comment man, u'll always pay a premium for new tech (until the time someone copies the idea and mass markets it),


Hoovers are not new technology although I assume you are referring to the fan but even that is not new technology; consider the post by Strong Eagle.

mrlily
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2009
Contact:

Postby mrlily » Sun, 18 Oct 2009 9:39 pm

Plavt wrote:Hoovers are not new technology although I assume you are referring to the fan but even that is not new technology; consider the post by Strong Eagle.


ummm... :? are saying the techonolgy is old because it has an electric motor stuck in its base?

the hoop/aerofoil bit on the top would be new or old tech?
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10731
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:36 pm

mrlily wrote:
Plavt wrote:Hoovers are not new technology although I assume you are referring to the fan but even that is not new technology; consider the post by Strong Eagle.


ummm... :? are saying the techonolgy is old because it has an electric motor stuck in its base?

the hoop/aerofoil bit on the top would be new or old tech?


Well... here is where this 'amplified air' thing falls apart. If it really is accelerating nearby air, then energy is required to do so. The only place this energy can come from is the moving air. Now, maybe they are trading velocity for volume but the point is that however much energy was put into the air before it is blown out the aerofoil is exactly how much total energy the fan can produce.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34671
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:41 pm

Frankly the technology is very old and it's just being refined and repackaged and discharged in a new and novel way. A caged roller blower in your cars air/heating unit performed much the same way and while it's also chopped (and so it the dyson unit - it's chopped at the motor impellers - has to be if there are 9 separate blades.) by the time the air reaches the opening in your dashboard, the pressure eliminates any choppiness and it's replaced by a pressurized seamless flow of air out of the vents. The airfoil cavity within the "hoop" is nothing more than the tubing of your automotive heat/air con blower which builds up pressure before leaving through the ring vent.

The only novelty is the fact that is has been condensed to a small unit and theoretically draws in induced surrounding air the same way the jets on a jacuzzi draws surrounding water into it's flow. It's novel, but it's not new. Just new packaging.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests