Singapore Expats Forum

CONFUSED! Partner has job but what visa do I need?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
love2travel

CONFUSED! Partner has job but what visa do I need?

Postby love2travel » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:44 pm

Hi,

I know there is lots of information on here already and I have been trying to read everything but I am just getting myself more and more confused - can you please help!

My partner (unmarried) has got a teaching job in Singapore and we're moving out in December. As we are unmarried I can't apply for a dependant pass or get any help.

Can anyone help me as to what visa I need to apply for?

I am British, I work as a Recruitment Consultant and will be looking for any Admin/Secretarial/PA/Recruitment positions - I have about 5 years experience.

Can I apply for a visa without having a job to go to? I am looking around for jobs but haven't managed to find anything yet.

Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

THANK YOU!

bex_140

moving to singapore

Postby bex_140 » Thu, 15 Oct 2009 3:20 am

Hi there

I am in a similar situation - moving to Singapore from the UK with my boyfriend in January. I have applied for an EPEC which allows you to go to Singapore to seek employment and then have applied for a social visit pass to actually allow me to come and stay for a year to find a job. Hope that helps as a place to start. Maybe this is an option for you?

Rebecca

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Thu, 15 Oct 2009 3:14 pm

@love2travel: please do not double post in the future. I already replied to your other thread.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

love2travel

Postby love2travel » Thu, 15 Oct 2009 5:03 pm

Sorry for the double posting but this was more about visas and the other about a job! I don't want to p*ss anyone off!

Thanks for the info Rebecca - I'll have a look at those options.

Where is your boyfriend teaching?

Claire

arian

Postby arian » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 5:29 am

Hi Rebecca & Claire,

Looks like I'm pretty much in the same boat as you guys. I'm planning to relocate Singapore in Feb 2010 (both my brother and sister with their respective partners moved out there last Summer themselves) and I have been extensively been looking into what visa/passes would be applicable to me. I will more than likely not be in a position to have secured employment prior to moving to Singapore, so my only option too would be applying for a Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate as well.

However, a friend of mine also now living and working in Singapore managed to obtain a PEP PRIOR to moving to Singapore (in Sep '08) and WITHOUT securing a job first (in fact she didn't secure a job until about 6mths after taking up residence in Singapore). Therefore, I am in the first instance going to try and apply for a PEP, failing that I will have to resort to applying for an EPEC as well (which I understand is pretty quick and straightforward to get).

Fingers X'd for all of us I guess - Shu
:)

arian

Postby arian » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 5:34 am

Oh BTW Claire, incidentally both my brother and sister are also Recruitment Consultants (in the Built Environment & Construction Industry), with my sister having set up her own successful Recruitment Agency out in Singapore - may be able to assist with your job hunt.....

:)

arian

Postby arian » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 5:37 am

econoMIC wrote:@love2travel: please do not double post in the future. I already replied to your other thread.

I don't think 'double-posting' as you put it is such a big deal.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 7:17 am

Arian,

Actually, we DO frown on double posting across multiple forums/threads. We call that spamming and it just takes up bandwidth for no real reason as most of us read the majority of the threads anyway. Normally we just summarily delete the multiple posts. So yes, it does matter, at least on this board. :wink:

carri

Postby carri » Tue, 03 Nov 2009 12:46 am

Hi everybody

My boyfriend is moving to singapore in March 2010 for work. I am going to apply for the EPEC.

I have recently finished my studies and I am hoping to find work in singapore. My degree was in the area of Business and Information systems management.

Is it easy to find a job there?
Does anybody know any good recruiment agencies I could go through.

Any information would be appriciated!

Carri

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Tue, 03 Nov 2009 4:29 pm

You could start by using the search function and going through some recent posts on EP.

To make a long story short though, unless you have a very special skill set that nobody else in Singapore has and your potential employers can justify hiring you instead of a local it is rather difficult to obtain PR. The only way around this is earning over 7k a month but as a fresh grad this is doubtful.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

carri

Postby carri » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 6:14 am

Yeah im realising now that it isnt that easy..

Do you know if I would be eligable for any other visas that would leave me stay for 6months without securing a job?

I was looking up about the WHP , but I am currently not a student and Ireland is not listed as one of the 6 regions accepted...

Im really confused now :(

Deetz

Postby Deetz » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:38 am

Where are you from? I landed a job here and my girlfriend tagged along. She is from Warsaw originally so she has been having luck with companies that want to expand to Europe.

She is recently graduated with her masters and yeah unless the locals are fluent in Polish or Norwegian or whatever other European language you want to throw out you could likely get some work.

If you don't have language skills well you'll have lots of free time to learn a new language if you're stuck here for awhile :D

Er Irish you say. So why not apply for one of the year long Visas that lets you job hunt. Or if you search wink wink wink you can see that if you have good proof you've been living together long enough you could say you are in a common law relationship.

carri

Postby carri » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 3:11 am

Love2travel

Thank you so much for your mail, I really wanted to reply but I am restricited until I have made more posts on the form :(

I was so happy to recieve a positive response, You have been so helpful :)

You asked what I am working as at the moment, well iv just recently graduated (BA honours, in the area of Business, IT) My current job unfortunately is not in the area of my qualification... Do you think experience is a must have?

I will definately keep in touch, Hopefully I will be able to PM soon !!!

xx

carri

Postby carri » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 3:23 am

Deetz

Hmmm I think it would be difficult to prove a common law relationship because we are not living together.

I would apply for the year long visa but I think that it requires that I secure a job first. No?

The visa types and requirements are quite confusing :???:

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:50 pm

I was in this shoe myself five years ago and understand perfectly how you all feel. Keep applying.

One question you should also ask yourselves - what is your purpose of moving here to Singapore?