Singapore Expats

Maid's work when I'm away?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Maid's work when I'm away?

Post by ozchick » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 6:28 pm

Meant to ask this before...what does one do to occupy a maid when one is away for more than a week, or as long as 6 weeks?! I know that some expats put them off and give them a return date, but I just can't do that to her. She works only 4 hours a week for me but I know that she'd be devastated if I was to say that I didn't want her for a few weeks here and there. I'd need a few plants watered that's all. Do some of you pay them anyway but tell them to have the time off? Someone suggeted she could do a big cook-up and freeze it? She's from the Philipines...don't know anything about what she probably can cook? Any ideas /advice?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 6:44 pm

If we are away for more than a month we normally send her back to her family for a holiday. Use one of these budget ailrine fares. That keeps them out of trouble and you wont come back to stories of ghost etc wondering around the house.

If its shorter periods, you can send them on daily cooking, first aid etc, courses
or just let them put their feet up for a few days if shes a new maid get her one of those tour bus tickets that last for 3 days so she can have tours of the city.

Just re read your post is she a Part Timer? If shes been with you for a long time then just ask her to pop in to water the plants and keep paying her, look at it like a retention to stop her going off and getting other work.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 7:58 pm

Agree with QRM - if she is just a part-timer and you still want her to come in on a regular basis I would pay her the usual. Also good b/c she'll check to make things are in working order while you're gone and that the fridge has not suddenly defrosted or something leaking...etc. She can also collect the mail, clean out the fridge, wipe out the cupboards (if necessary)... if you have a good part timer you trust - definitely worth it to keep things status quo. Or if this is unreasonable - ask her if she could just come in 2 hours a week for the period you are gone...

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 8:00 pm

how about a deep clean? or a make over? or redecorate? or fix the broken tiles?

Little M

Post by Little M » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 8:40 pm

durain wrote:how about a deep clean? or a make over? or redecorate? or fix the broken tiles?
I don't think so, since she is not a professional handy man. She could do more harm then good if you request her to do such things.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 15 Oct 2009 1:04 am

Little M wrote:
durain wrote:how about a deep clean? or a make over? or redecorate? or fix the broken tiles?
I don't think so, since she is not a professional handy man. She could do more harm then good if you request her to do such things.
Where's SMS tongue in cheek pic when you need it :cool:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Maid's work when I'm away?

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:52 am

ozchick wrote: She works only 4 hours a week for me but I know that she'd be devastated if I was to say that I didn't want her for a few weeks here and there.
She's a part-timer so let her continue her 4-hour week schedule. Aside form plant-watering a house needs maintaining, in terms of cleanliness.

So, if she takes an hour to do the work she will probably sit around and Image for the other three
ozchick wrote:Someone suggeted she could do a big cook-up and freeze it? She's from the Philipines...don't know anything about what she probably can cook? Any ideas /advice?
For the love God, woman! Do not let Flippies cook for you . . . easily the worst 'cuisine' in Asia . . . I'm in the PIs about a week every month and their food is simply grotesque.

'nuff said Image