Singapore Expats Forum

resident/ visitor

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

resident/ visitor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 9:31 pm

Going home for a 'visit' soon and apparently have to tick the 'visitor's box on arrival card. How can I be a visitor to my own country?
Previously I've been given conflicting advice about this at the Melbourne end. Some officials at immigration there say I can tick either box. Others say " Nah you're a visitor". Others don't seem to know or care.
But an Aussie colleague who's been here in Sg for 14 yrs says that I can't be a resident here and there as well ? Why can't I?
Never know what to tick cos surely I'm a resident of my own country since my house is there and I come and go as I please from Sg to Oz. What do you guys all do?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: resident/ visitor

Postby ksl » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:09 pm

ozchick wrote:Going home for a 'visit' soon and apparently have to tick the 'visitor's box on arrival card. How can I be a visitor to my own country?
Previously I've been given conflicting advice about this at the Melbourne end. Some officials at immigration there say I can tick either box. Others say " Nah you're a visitor". Others don't seem to know or care.
But an Aussie colleague who's been here in Sg for 14 yrs says that I can't be a resident here and there as well ? Why can't I?
Never know what to tick cos surely I'm a resident of my own country since my house is there and I come and go as I please from Sg to Oz. What do you guys all do?
If you notified the Australian authorities, of your move to Singapore, you would be taken off the electoral role, after the 183 day rule, you loose your right of residence. And even though you have a house there, you are still non residing in accordance with the laws.

The fact you can change your residence at will, is a fact, though the bureaucratic system has set rules for qualifying for residence, i belive just like in UK.
They always ask me, if i am resident when entering UK, and I say yes from the time i walk through the gate, until i leave again :lol: :???: Though in UK one must be resident 3 years before one can vote, did you know that? I wanted to vote for Thatcher back in the 70's and wasn't allowed, because i never met the residential requirements.

Just tick both and say okay I'll play your funny games and ask why the flag isn't up, because you are now in residence :wink:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 8:22 am

Well kayser thanks but it's still as clear as mud cos I didn't notify the australian government of anything, and I still vote there. If I can't vote for come reason, my daughter just tells them I'm out of the country. That all seems to work well. The whole thing is wierd and yeah I'm gonna tick both boxes cos I'm not happy about being a 'visitor' to my own country. I feel like I'm a 'working visitor' in Singapore more than a resident here yet I'm very happy to wave both flags...very confuzzing yeah......
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 3:46 pm

Yeah, pretty weird that the land of Oz still asks its own citizens to fill out a landing card.

Personally I do not have these problems (fortunately) because I have two decent (tongue in cheek) citizenships where you can enter and leave your country as you please without filling in forms and other troubles. In the UK I have actually registered for the IRIS program so you go in a booth where they scan your iris and the gate opens. No need to even take out your passport, chat to the immigration officer or fill out any forms and no queues. So if you have this in Australia I would highly recommend it.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 5:24 pm

econoMIC wrote:Yeah, pretty weird that the land of Oz still asks its own citizens to fill out a landing card.

Same thing in the USA... you get to fill out the card. One year, I filled in the 'countries visited' section... it was a long list from business travels... the immigration officer says... you were on business, don't fill that in.

Next year, I left it blank... another officer jumped all over me for not filling it in.

Came back one year with a bunch of toys for Christmas... many duplicates since I have 17 nieces and nephews... two hours to convince the clowns I wasn't bringing sales rep pieces.

It's a pain in the ass for an American to get through customs... I can only imagine what a foreigner goes through.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 6:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
econoMIC wrote:Yeah, pretty weird that the land of Oz still asks its own citizens to fill out a landing card.

Same thing in the USA... you get to fill out the card. One year, I filled in the 'countries visited' section... it was a long list from business travels... the immigration officer says... you were on business, don't fill that in.

Next year, I left it blank... another officer jumped all over me for not filling it in.

Came back one year with a bunch of toys for Christmas... many duplicates since I have 17 nieces and nephews... two hours to convince the clowns I wasn't bringing sales rep pieces.

It's a pain in the ass for an American to get through customs... I can only imagine what a foreigner goes through.

Yeah but in the US you are filling out a customs form. In Australia you have to fill out a customs form AND a landing card (the same tourist have to fill out).

Funny story on the side: I remember driving down from Mississauga to Buffalo and that weird US customs guy asked me whether I had any fruit of vegetable in the car. I said no. He asked me whether I was sure. I replied yes, please check the car if you don't believe me as it was not as if I had the boot full of fruit and vegies like Homer Simpson, flooring the accelerator. I shouldn't have said that, for the next 2 hours they inspected my car (which was a rental) in detail and I missed my mate's wedding in Buffalo. Still don't get it why he chose to marry his Yank galfriend South of the border. Bottom line: give them customs boys guns and they behave like wankers. Fortunately our Canadian boys at the border don't have guns but have manners and are polite instead.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 6:30 pm

econoMIC wrote:Fortunately our Canadian boys at the border don't have guns but have manners and are polite instead.

No... they are wankers as well... at least they were. Many years ago, my brother and I, both Canadian citizens by birth, were coming into Canada for a visit. We were definitely long haired hippie types. In spite of holding Canadian passports, the clowns at the border wouldn't let us in because we didn't have 'enough money'. After nearly 6 hours a supervisor shows up and says, 'What are you holding them for? They are Canadian."

Give practically anyone a badge and a uniform and they turn into a wanker.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 7:58 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
econoMIC wrote:Fortunately our Canadian boys at the border don't have guns but have manners and are polite instead.

No... they are wankers as well... at least they were. Many years ago, my brother and I, both Canadian citizens by birth, were coming into Canada for a visit. We were definitely long haired hippie types. In spite of holding Canadian passports, the clowns at the border wouldn't let us in because we didn't have 'enough money'. After nearly 6 hours a supervisor shows up and says, 'What are you holding them for? They are Canadian."

Give practically anyone a badge and a uniform and they turn into a wanker.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is hilarious! Not letting your own citizens back in for 'not having enough money' is the best I heave heard so far. Oh Canada! The guy might have been a Newfie or Prince Edward Islander, that would explain a lot.

Another good one I came from US Immigration at a land border from Niagara near Buffalo airport. We took a limo to the airport and immigration officer took our passports (mine Canadian, Mrs M Singaporean) and asked us how we knew each other. The interesting thing is that my wife changed her name and got a brand new passport after we got married so we both have the same family name. When I replied that we were married the reply we received was: "are you sure?" :roll:
a.k.a. littlegreenman