Singapore Expats Forum

Reading club/groups. What's the buzz?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Reading club/groups. What's the buzz?

Postby ozchick » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 9:17 pm

Got a friend who reads madly so that she can be ready to discuss the 'shared' book with the others in the group. Am I crazy that I can see no joy in such a thing?
Does anyone on here go to one of those groups?I'd be happy with the 'wee drinky' and social aspect of it all but but I'm damned if I give a rats' what other people think about a book I've just read. Great oddness. Seems like the old 'ice-cream discussion". E.g. I say "Chocolate's the best flavour". You say, "Nah strawberry's way better". Then what?
So what's the buzz with this then? Am I missing something?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

mrlily
Regular
Regular

Re: Reading club/groups. What's the buzz?

Postby mrlily » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:04 pm

ozchick wrote: Great oddness. Seems like the old 'ice-cream discussion". E.g. I say "Chocolate's the best flavour". You say, "Nah strawberry's way better". Then what?

I think you hit the nail on the head with the "great oddness" call. honesty i don't get it either.

a forum is quite similar in some respects though, wouldn't u say?
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Re: Reading club/groups. What's the buzz?

Postby ozchick » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 8:31 am

mrlily wrote:
ozchick wrote: Great oddness. Seems like the old 'ice-cream discussion". E.g. I say "Chocolate's the best flavour". You say, "Nah strawberry's way better". Then what?

I think you hit the nail on the head with the "great oddness" call. honesty i don't get it either.

a forum is quite similar in some respects though, wouldn't u say?

Yeah ...to some extent.... but in a forum you can at least choose the posts that are of interest to you. In a book group you have to read books that you didn't choose in the first place. I think that this is what I find realy odd. I would have to be paid BIG money to read a book I didn't enjoy!! :?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 8:42 am

Yes, you are indeed missing something, but maybe it's just not for you. Most book groups choose their titles through a voting system, and of course you don't have to read it, it's a personal choice I've given up on books before, Shantaram most recently.

I've been involved in many book groups, some more social than others. Perhaps it's your choice of reading material that has you stumped Ozchick? I'm not sure I could have just closed The Grapes of Wrath, The Blind Assassin or To Kill a Mockingbird or more recently The Story of Edgar Sawtelle without some serious shared deconstruction. Great literature spawns great debate, it's not just about what other people think or who likes what. If you really see it as a discussion on par with ice cream flavors than I wouldn't waste your time either.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 14 Oct 2009 8:48 am

road.not.taken wrote:Yes, you are indeed missing something, but maybe it's just not for you. Most book groups choose their titles through a voting system, and of course you don't have to read it, it's a personal choice I've given up on books before Shantaram most recently.

I've been involved in many book groups, some more social than others. Perhaps it's your choice of reading material that has you stumped Ozchick? I'm not sure I could have just closed The Grapes of Wrath, The Blind Assassin or To Kill a Mockingbird or more recently The Story of Edgar Sawtelle without some serious shared deconstruction. Great literature spawns great debate, it's not just about what other people think or who likes what. If you really see it as a discussion on par with ice cream flavors than I wouldn't waste your time either.

Well yeah sure 'to kill a mockingbird" loved that book and would be happy to discuss that I guess. But if I was told to read a book written by Bill Clinton for example I just couldn't do it. My time is precious. I want to do enjoyable things not suffer through some book that I didn't choose to read. I just don't want to eat vanilla when I know there's chocolate somewhere nearby! :wink: !Think I'm getting very opinionated lately RNT...yeah old age is upon me but it matches my clothes!