Singapore Expats

legal advice

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Singapore Newbie
Regular
Regular

legal advice

Post by Singapore Newbie » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 8:18 pm

I need legal advice so I can defend myself in a civil lawsuit. I already hired a lawyer, but thousands of dollars later and no end in sight, I can't afford the lawyer anymore and need to defend myself.

Does anyone know if there are legal resources for someone like myself? (I am not Singaporean or PR)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 8:51 pm

Maybe SE or JP or one of our other regulars might but as you don't have citizenship or PR and have the possibility of one or two lawsuits (based on your previous posts here) I'm afraid I'm at a loss. There are free legal services around but I'm not so sure they would be available for a non-citizen/PR. ksl might know something as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Singapore Newbie
Regular
Regular

Post by Singapore Newbie » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 9:02 pm

It's the same lawsuit I referred to previously...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:26 pm

Singapore Newbie wrote:It's the same lawsuit I referred to previously...
What lawsuit is that? I hadn't seen it. Defamation?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:59 pm

I think her former employer is suing her over maternity benefits.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... highlight=
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think her former employer is suing her over maternity benefits.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... highlight=
Now, I am refreshed. So, basically, you came back one month and then quit, even though the employer acted in good faith and gave you paid (apparently) maternity leave.

Did you fulfill your end of the contract?

Singapore Newbie
Regular
Regular

Post by Singapore Newbie » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 9:04 am

Yes, Ifulfilled the terms of the contract, but it's more complicated than that. I just need to figure out whether it's possible for me to defend myself and what resources are out there to support my efforts.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 9:07 am

I hope you didnt make your decision purely based on SE advise to calling their "bluff" :???:

otherwise you should sue Strong Eagle :D

brittanny
Regular
Regular

Post by brittanny » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 9:51 am

i'm not sure whether this is repetitious per your previous counsel advise per the mom's guidelines: ttp://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/com ... e.html#dme

firstly, you need to determine whether you were covered under the employment act. i trust your previous counsel should have already identified this

if u like to defend yourself, please note the following criterion:

Under the Employment Act, an employer is required to continue paying an employee her usual salary, i.e. her monthly gross rate of pay including allowances for the first eight weeks of maternity leave if the employee:

a) Has been employed for at least 90 days before the date of delivery;

b) Has less than two children of her own at the time of delivery:

In the case of multiple births (e.g. twins, triplets etc) during the first pregnancy, the employer is still required to pay the next 8 weeks of maternity leave; and

c) Has given the employer at least one week's notice before going on maternity leave, and informed her employer as soon as practicable of her delivery.

Otherwise, the employee is only entitled to half the payment during the maternity leave, unless she can show sufficient cause that prevented her from giving such notice to the employer.

did u meet all the above criterias (a, b & c)? if u r eligible to get maternity benefit under the employment act n able to satisfy all the above, u r legally entitled n your employer is required to pay.

however, for the extended maternity leave, i.e. beyond the first 8 weeks, maternity payment from the employer is voluntary. if they had at their own discretion paid u extended maternity leave benefit, i don't think they have recourse, unless and until they can show proof that you are not eligible in the first place

im sorry cos only sprean or sg pr is eligible for services from the community legal clinics http://www.lawsoc.org.sg/CommLegalClinic.html

all the best to u

brittanny
Regular
Regular

Post by brittanny » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:32 am

hey there

i just noticed this link in the lawsociety website!!
http://www.lawsoc.org.sg/pdf/Legal%20Clinics%20List.pdf

go get some help n sorry for my earlier oversight
good luck

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 1:29 pm

There is free legal advice available, though pretty limited, try the local community centres, to find which day night they are operating!

Though i don't know much about your case, I would have thought the court of arbitration would be the place to settle the matter, small claims court! I think 3 on the bench and they all toss a coin :) Though it is for settling disputes