Singapore Expats Forum

Basal racism in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Oct 2009 6:42 pm

alexious wrote:Racism is just wrong!

Racism is an act of ignorance.


No, it's a product of lack of proper education. Racism in it natural habitat is normal. You don't see mynah birds cohabitating or nesting or hanging out with Eagles or Buzzards do you? They're are all birds, just like we are all humans. But naturally, "birds of a feather, flock together". However, we are supposed to be above the lesser animals (although I wonder about that), and because of that, we are supposed to be above that. But as can be seen, the baser instincts are usually only just below the surface for a lot of people......

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 30 Oct 2009 8:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
alexious wrote:Racism is just wrong!

Racism is an act of ignorance.


No, it's a product of lack of proper education. Racism in it natural habitat is normal. You don't see mynah birds cohabitating or nesting or hanging out with Eagles or Buzzards do you? They're are all birds, just like we are all humans. But naturally, "birds of a feather, flock together". However, we are supposed to be above the lesser animals (although I wonder about that), and because of that, we are supposed to be above that. But as can be seen, the baser instincts are usually only just below the surface for a lot of people......
ksl agrees with that!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 30 Oct 2009 8:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
alexious wrote:Racism is just wrong!

Racism is an act of ignorance.


No, it's a product of lack of proper education. Racism in it natural habitat is normal. You don't see mynah birds cohabitating or nesting or hanging out with Eagles or Buzzards do you? They're are all birds, just like we are all humans. But naturally, "birds of a feather, flock together". However, we are supposed to be above the lesser animals (although I wonder about that), and because of that, we are supposed to be above that. But as can be seen, the baser instincts are usually only just below the surface for a lot of people......

Is not ignorance a lack of proper education? :) And I am not that sure racism is what it is observed frequently in the nature. Racism is primarily about belief that one race is superior/inferior than the other. To follow or chose your own kind does not mean to be a racist. Nature is too pragmatic for such behaviour.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:02 pm

To exclude your own kind because they are slightly different that yourself is showing a racial preference, hence 'birds of a feather". However, as we ARE supposed to be above that, you can argue that it is your personal preference and it may well be, but one can only draw that conclusion if one has sampled the various waters, so as to make the comparison. Preference mean having tried something and found it wanting so you have a different set of preferences. You cannot "prefer" sprite over rootbeer if you have never tried rootbeer! :wink:

Ignorance is a product primarily of genetics, I've seen too many people who have gone to school and for all the teaching in the world, they remain ignorant. On the other hand, if one hasn't been educated, then who knows their actual capabilities could be. (course that's what IQ tests are supposed to measure - capabilities not actual knowledge) A good example you can find right here in Singers. 33 years of courtesy campaigns and they still haven't learn the basic rudiments of courtesy. :hiding from brickbats under the table smilie:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 31 Oct 2009 7:19 am

Preferences not based on experience (or knowledge) are based on personal beliefs so I have no objections.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:A good example you can find right here in Singers. 33 years of courtesy campaigns and they still haven't learn the basic rudiments of courtesy. :hiding from brickbats under the table smilie:

Because this is foreign to their culture and is neither enforced to be learnt nor executed in real life. This is something like a government in Europe/US would try to convince its citizens that they should adapt Japanese etiquette and start bowing.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Oct 2009 8:52 am

x9200 wrote:Because this is foreign to their culture ............


Do you honestly believe that? I've worked throughout Asia for the past quarter of a century and I don't find that to be true at all. :-k

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 31 Oct 2009 9:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
x9200 wrote:Because this is foreign to their culture ............


Do you honestly believe that? I've worked throughout Asia for the past quarter of a century and I don't find that to be true at all. :-k

Yes, I really do - I do not have any better explanation. I also can see how we ourselves are affected by our own culture. I see people of the same race behaving completely different because they come from a different country (still within SE Asia). I know first hand examples how people can get transformed in their working environment from being virtual idiots unable to answer simple question "why?" to be fully competent in their responses - and this is not by knowledge or IQ, this is by changing the habit from "doing it as this is an order from my boss" to "thinking what and why I am doing it".
What are the alternatives anyway?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:40 am

x9200 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
x9200 wrote:Because this is foreign to their culture ............


Do you honestly believe that? I've worked throughout Asia for the past quarter of a century and I don't find that to be true at all. :-k

Yes, I really do - I do not have any better explanation. I also can see how we ourselves are affected by our own culture. I see people of the same race behaving completely different because they come from a different country (still within SE Asia). I know first hand examples how people can get transformed in their working environment from being virtual idiots unable to answer simple question "why?" to be fully competent in their responses - and this is not by knowledge or IQ, this is by changing the habit from "doing it as this is an order from my boss" to "thinking what and why I am doing it".
What are the alternatives anyway?


You should be a politician! You make one statement that I quoted, and then in your response to me you say the opposite. It's either cultural or it isn't. Or maybe you think culture is nationalistic/regional instead of ethnic?

michlele21
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 31 Oct 2009

Postby michlele21 » Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:59 am

you should ignore that mate. not worth of your time.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:00 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
x9200 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
x9200 wrote:Because this is foreign to their culture ............


Do you honestly believe that? I've worked throughout Asia for the past quarter of a century and I don't find that to be true at all. :-k

I see people of the same race behaving completely different because they come from a different country (still within SE Asia).


You should be a politician! You make one statement that I quoted, and then in your response to me you say the opposite. It's either cultural or it isn't. Or maybe you think culture is nationalistic/regional instead of ethnic?


It is cultural in both cases. The culture is the whole thing, not just bits, pieces isolated habits or customs. Some behaviour are result of something missing (foreign to a local culture, and for example native to our) some are present (so foreign to our culture native to the local one). Culture is a set of moral, social and intellectual developments so it can be national/regional/ethnic/religious etc. It is limited by a social group rather than location, population size or formal nationality. This is at least how I see it.

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005

Postby EADG » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:46 am

With threads like this one I really should visit this forum more often!

BTW it's "loogie" not "lurgie". As in "love' not "lurve". Say 'lurgie' and the others would "hack a loogie" in your direction!
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Blaster
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 03 Nov 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Blaster » Wed, 11 Nov 2009 3:00 pm

While living here,i've come across strange characters but none like this one. Usually such behaviour could have gotten the guy yelled at or worse, beaten up. Nice of you to understand and walk away. Lucky guy!!!

User avatar
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2005
Location: Earth - Asia - Singapore

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 5:57 pm

maybe it escaped my brief reading of this thread but i have not seen any comment clarifying (before the thread being hijacked by the piss police and asian behavior control patrols) that the guy actions, as described by the OP, are not racist at all, the spitting was uncalled and irreverent but not racist... first: "american" is not a race and third point fifty eight: his anger had/has a political motivation.

a very badly managed and uncivilized way to express his ideas using gross generalizations and bodily fluids, that is for sure, but not racist.

and about this comment:



econoMIC wrote:One last thing: please don't compare a 12 year old boy with a dog. That is disgusting.


yep, is disgusting... dogs are smarter and better than any 12 yrs old boy/girl... and they probably have better music taste too, totally disgusting that comparison... i am appalled.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 3:30 pm

hibri2 wrote: that the guy actions, as described by the OP, [b]are not racist at all
"american" is not a race


Well, you are correct, but would you like being called American?

I rest my case, m'lud
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri, 17 Aug 2007
Location: In a spacious appartment

Postby Superglide » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 7:41 pm

hibri2 wrote:yep, is disgusting... dogs are smarter and better than any 12 yrs old boy/girl... and they probably have better music taste too, totally disgusting that comparison... i am appalled.


Indeed, dogs are way smarter.

I asked our dog for his opinion on this and he fully agreed as well.....

Image

But btw, dogs can be quite discriminating too.

Ours for example dislikes Arabs.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests