Singapore Expats

EP holder marrying PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
phils65

EP holder marrying PR

Post by phils65 » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:39 am

dear all, just looking for some advice if possible - i'm an EP holder (british citizen) & am planning to marry my filipino girlfriend, who is already a PR in singapore. have been through some related threads already & have a couple of queries:

do i need to ask the MOM for permission to marry?

is there anything else that we need to be aware of or should do in advance of getting married?

my job may require me to return to the uk at some point in the future - i'm presuming there shouldn't be too many difficulties for me to take my future wife with me as i have property in the uk & earn good money. has anyone already been through this process & is there anything i should be aware of at this point please?

any thoughts or relevant experiences would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: EP holder marrying PR

Post by ksl » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 1:17 pm

phils65 wrote:dear all, just looking for some advice if possible - i'm an EP holder (british citizen) & am planning to marry my filipino girlfriend, who is already a PR in singapore. have been through some related threads already & have a couple of queries:

do i need to ask the MOM for permission to marry?

is there anything else that we need to be aware of or should do in advance of getting married?

my job may require me to return to the uk at some point in the future - i'm presuming there shouldn't be too many difficulties for me to take my future wife with me as i have property in the uk & earn good money. has anyone already been through this process & is there anything i should be aware of at this point please?

any thoughts or relevant experiences would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
If you take her to the UK, be prepared for the worst, she may well be repatriated until all the documentation is done, takes around 3 months, of course she can go with you and stay on the tourist visa, just be warned, then it doesn't come as a shock. I was warned when I entered with my Taiwanese wife and daughter, that they may be sent back, if i intended staying in the UK. I was gobsmacked since i had been married a couple of years, and was pissed off, with the thought of being separated from my wife, my daughter has a British passport. I would have appealed though had I stayed.

I think it maybe a pathetic attempt to sort out the genuine marriages from the arranged marriages for money so background checks are done, though go to the UK embassy to double check. The embassy my wish to interview her, before the marriage, which would be to your benefit on arrival in UK

If she is a PR, you shouldn't really need permission, it applies only to people on work permits i believe. Though there is no harm done in giving MOM a ring to be on the safe side.

I also have a UK friend who married a Filipino, he told me also, he had to wait for the documentation to be done, before he could fly over and bring her back about 12 weeks waiting, though i am sure you can apply through the embassy here and then wait for approval.
Last edited by ksl on Sun, 11 Oct 2009 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 1:23 pm

Was she ever on a Work Permit? Not an EP or DP but a WP? If not, you don't need any permission to marry (except from her that is! :wink: ) It is only in regards to anyone who has ever had a WP (Work Permit). MOM will give permission easily enough provided permission is requested (in most cases) but if you don't follow protocol then they like to flex their muscles and make life difficult, even if it causes hardships with children as so forth. (I'm having that problem with my nephew & his Filipina wife at the moment.)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: EP holder marrying PR

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 1:24 pm

You shouldn't have any difficulties taking you wife back to Europe. Well some paper work but . Whether you have a property or make millions is irrelevant, as by basic EU laws a spouse of a EU citizen is granted the residence and work permit in any EU country. In some countries the useless bureaucrats try to make the paper work slow and painful, but they cannot reject the application unless they can prove it to be a marriage of convenience. Definition for that is in EU law lingo : "A marriage concluded between a national of an EU Member State and a third-country national with the sole aim of circumventing the rules on entry and residence of third-country nationals."

A thing you might want to do is to register your marriage in the embassy or high commission here after you get married, assuming that UK, like most countries allows this, but even that is not necessary, and wouldn't stop you taking your wife back to UK, or any other EU country.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 2:07 pm

As PPF said, there shouldn't be any problem taking you wife back to the UK but IF there is the possibility of returning to Singapore sometime in the future, IF she'd been on a WP as some point, they would make life difficult. Otherwise, I see no problems at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

phils65

Post by phils65 » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 2:35 pm

thanks everyone. confirm girlfriend has never held a WP.....

i think she's also been a PR for around 5 to 10 years...