Singapore Expats

No you can't sit here, sorry...I think

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:27 am

blue_thunder wrote: Not to mention the awful advertisements on the MRT ..not sure who came up with the idea/models & their costumes.

Cheers~
That's PCK & his wife Rosey. Gurmit Singh is Singapore's idea of a funnyman and the show that he fronted for 8 years was the best that they can produce (maybe not - "Under one Roof" with Moses Lim was decent for a while). It's slapstick at it's best and dismal at it's worst. It now being done this season in KL, by MediaCorp, as "PCK Snd Bhd" instead of PCK Pte Ltd.

And yes, the English that is used in the MRT is correct. If you look at the images on the doors, they are being portrayed as coming out of the train and speaking to those in the station. So "Let me come out first," is correct. "Go out" would indicate movement away from the reader but in this instance it indicates movement towards the reader so they would be coming towards the reader. Unfortunately, people do not see it that way.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Re: No you can't sit here, sorry...I think

Post by dazzlebabe » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:45 am

I was at ION Foodcourt over the weekend and despite being ridiculously expensive, the place was crowded. People were standing around, people were sharing tables, even I had to share with a lone pregnant lady.

She ate her noodles and I ate my nasi padang at opposite ends of the round small table.

Did her mobile call to her child upset my meal? No.
Did her slurping of the soup disturb me? No as it was pretty soft compared to.. (see below)
Did the child at the next table playing with the cutlery and banging on the table upset my meal? No.

I chose to eat at a BUSY foodcourt so along with it comes noise, chats, banging and screaming kids.

Like all others previously; if i wanted a table to myself i would gladly head over to Marmalade etc.

Look at it from the other point of view. If OP had said that she was looking for a table but was openly rejected by a local........
Worms
Can
Can Opener
Just me

DazzleBabe

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 1:03 pm

i did that before...they dont really bother me..if one try to start conversation, i just replied short and they understand that i dont really wanna talk...and this only happened once out of so many times..

i find it very difficult to find table sometimes..and im always happy someone willing to share theirs with me..so why not do the same:)

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 4:29 pm

I can totally empathize your needing space thing. Sigh, what to do, people everywhere... sometimes it's just inevitable to have to share a table.

One thing I've learnt well, is finding out where are the quieter spots of the malls I regularly go to. A world of difference. Let's just say, it's between 'going crazy with the noise' and 'eating my food peacefully'.

Deetz

Post by Deetz » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 4:47 pm

ozchick wrote:I'm in my quiet space. I want /need peace.
Yeah when you want to be in your quiet place and you really need peace it's a great idea to head to a food court.
ozchick wrote:I'm thinking "PLEASE don't come over here. I just want to be alone".
If you want to be left alone maybe you should remove yourself from society.

I still can't believe how many other people posted to say they do similar things. Really must look goofy to see one person sitting at a table for four with bags and backpacks or purses covering up all the other free seats.

Most people at a food court just want to eat, they aren't looking to start deep conversations with other people or bother them.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 8:43 pm

Ooh yes I was expecting all this and I've been told off good and proper! :oops:
Hey at least I've owned up!! I'll never have to go to confession again now...he he..I've been tarred and feathered!! :lol:
Yep! I'm a selfish, unsociable bitch from hell. Mm..there's song about my situation:"Bad habits". C'est la vie. A leopard doesn't change its spots.
So bye-bye food malls. I'm just gonna have to do the decent thing and go to a restaurant. Can't see how it's any different though.There's no such thing as a table for one in a restaurant either...they're often all tables for four as well.....maybe there's a book of etiquette for one's restaurant seating rights- or lack of!!! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 9:10 pm

dont worry ozchick, when you go to the restaurant, they are likely to seat you at a table for TWO, rather than a table for FOUR. \:D/

By the way, the descent thing isnt to go to a restaurant by yourself (who goes to resturants by themselves anyway?).

The descent thing to do is SHARE. Didnt your mother teach you that when you were younger. Share your toys, share your seat and share your TABLE....

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:17 pm

aargon wrote:dont worry ozchick, when you go to the restaurant, they are likely to seat you at a table for TWO, rather than a table for FOUR. \:D/

By the way, the descent thing isnt to go to a restaurant by yourself (who goes to resturants by themselves anyway?).

The descent thing to do is SHARE. Didnt your mother teach you that when you were younger. Share your toys, share your seat and share your TABLE....
Oi! I'm one of five children! Don't talk to me about sharing...the novelty's long since worn off! As for tables of two, nah nah, I'm regualrly in restaurants that have only tables for four left... but this is a space-saving strategy I suppose....and again it's not good cos then a larger party comes in and I'm hogging a table for four. This happened last week at that revamped Canele restaurant at Paragon the other day.
And now I'm expected to go to a retsurant with someone else yeah?! Jeezaloo, WHEN do I get to have time for me? All week long I'm with lots of other people for 9 or more hours a day. I crave 'me' time when I can get it...maybe reading the newspaper and 'switching off' for a little while.
Anyway. who'd want to go to a restaurant with me?! I'm a selfish bitch from hell with no sense of propriety at all! :P
Note: Decent not descent (that's that other word that describes my current position in your estimation aargon) :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:45 pm

ozchick wrote:
aargon wrote:dont worry ozchick, when you go to the restaurant, they are likely to seat you at a table for TWO, rather than a table for FOUR. \:D/

Oi! I'm one of five children! Don't talk to me about sharing...the novelty's long since worn off! As for tables of two, nah nah, I'm regualrly in restaurants that have only tables for four left... but this is a space-saving strategy I suppose....and again it's not good cos then a larger party comes in and I'm hogging a table for four. This happened last week at that revamped Canele restaurant at Paragon the other day.
And now I'm expected to go to a retsurant with someone else yeah?! Jeezaloo, WHEN do I get to have time for me? All week long I'm with lots of other people for 9 or more hours a day. I crave 'me' time when I can get it...maybe reading the newspaper and 'switching off' for a little while.
Anyway. who'd want to go to a restaurant with me?! I'm a selfish bitch from hell with no sense of propriety at all! :P
Note: Decent not descent (that's that other word that describes my current position in your estimation aargon) :wink:

oz...chillax !! was juz making fun and dont take it serious.

Next time i will join you for sure but wont talk & will turn of my handphone....deal :lol: :lol:
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:39 am

ozchick wrote: Mm..there's song about my situation:"Bad habits".
Billy Field . . . a Sydney boy . . . well, Riverina and then Sydney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eETES1xP-IM

'nuff said Image

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Post by smayrhofer » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 1:54 pm

sounds like you eat alone a lot! ;)

personally, I feel less awkward eating alone at a food court than I do at a restaurant. At food courts, nobody really pays attention to you. it's a lot more anonymous.

with regard to sharing tables, there are definitely times when I don't really feel like sharing my table. but I still do it. and I have never had anyone try to make conversation with me at the table.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 7:00 pm

smayrhofer wrote:I have never had anyone try to make conversation with me at the table.
Not surprising judging by your latest passport photograph:

At least you brushed your teeth and combed your hair for the occasion.

'nuff said Image

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 7:11 pm

You should try eating at some of the popular restaurants in Hong Kong. During Lunch not only do you have to share the table, the staff get the the next person in line to stand behind you holding your seat backrest, the moment you get up they sit down.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 7:20 pm

I`m alittle surprised foodcourts dont have counters for single people like Ozchick to eat at?

Its a simple enough answer to those who find sharing difficult. =;

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 7:58 pm

You mean like a diner? She would still have to share with the person on the stool on her left and on her right. She just wouldn't have to look at them. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers