Singapore Expats Forum

Obama Wins the Nobel Peace Prize

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 8:54 pm

And to think, I used to give the Swedes credit for intelligent thought. Alfred is probably spinning in his grave wishing he could shove one of his sticks of dynamite up the committee's collective butt. He hasn't accomplished anything yet and they are giving it to him because he talks nice for crissake! Like most of the world at the moment, I think it's too soon. Let's see him accomplish at least ONE thing first, I don't care what it is. Aside from putting us in debt for the next 3 generations all he's done so far is to increase the unemployment rate to the highest level in 50 years. Yeah I know, it would have been worse......

Maybe eventually but not literally overnight as it is now. And the mortgage debacle hasn't even started yet. All those home that have been remortgaged at new rates will start defaulting in about 4 months time as the unemployment grows higher and higher. The worst is still to come with a new wave of personal bankruptcies.

Course it's easy to go with the flow when you don't physically live there. Even the Muslims are not agreeing on this.

Of course you knew I'd pipe in on this post! :P :wink:

Oh, and let's not forget the Navy christening a 700' supply ship in honor of an assassinated black civil rights activist killed back in '63 or '64 yesterday as well. After the Boston debacle it doesn't surprise me. :-|
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 09 Oct 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 9:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:And to think, I used to give the Swedes credit for intelligent thought. Alfred is probably spinning in his grave wishing he could shove one of his sticks of dynamite up the committee's collective butt.

The Nobel Prize comittee is Norwegian.

Not sure, why you blame the Swedish for this act?
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: Obama Wins the Nobel Peace Prize

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 9:07 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/09/obama-wins-nobel-peace-pr_n_314907.html

=D> FanDAMNtastic!

Welcome back Superglide! :wave:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 9:10 pm

Superglide wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:And to think, I used to give the Swedes credit for intelligent thought. Alfred is probably spinning in his grave wishing he could shove one of his sticks of dynamite up the committee's collective butt.

The Nobel Prize comittee is Norwegian.

Not sure, why you blame the Swedish for this act?

First of all, welcome back stranger! :wink:

Secondly, my mistake, I meant both but, but, but I would still have been wrong. I read it wrongly in my rage!

Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which are awarded by Swedish institutions, the peace prize is given out by a five-member committee elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Like the Parliament, the committee has a leftist slant, with three members elected by left-of-center parties. Jagland said the decision to honor Obama was unanimous.

But the Swedes are still involved with the Nobel, just in different areas.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 9:44 pm

Thank you both for the welcome. :)
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.

Pablo Picasso

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 10:25 pm

He didn't even do anything yet apart from not being a total dork compared to his predecessor. :-|

@SMS: I know I shouldn't say this because I am from across your northern border but as an Economics post grad just let me tell you this: economically everything Obama did so far was the right thing (apart from slapping tariffs on low cost tyres from China, what was he thinking?!?!). Complaining that the country is more indebted now is useless as the alternative would have been a total collapse of the financial system and a ripple effect causing many more millions of people in the US alone being unemployed, not social welfare system in the world could have helped there and you would have seen anarchy and people dying of hunger in the streets just like during the great depression. So which one do you prefer.

Obama is not the source of the problem, your fellow countrymen who took up 110% LTV mortgages and borrowed against every dollar of equity they had to spend it on sh1t are to blame along with the rest of consumers in the anglo-saxon world who did not show any sense of logic or restraint in borrowing. Sure, one could blame the government for not curbing this earlier but of course people would have been on the street in the streets straight away complaining that your president can't tell you how much to borrow...

I am a total economic right winger, who is absolutely pro contra cyclical government involvement in the economy as limited as possible but in this case it was necessary partially as consumers can't borrow any more but the budget deficits the US ran over the years requires someone to borrow that credit being created and emerging markets do not have the ability to absorb them (yet).

Bottom line: it is very easy to blame Obama for loading the country with debt but in the end he is just bailing out the consumers who amassed it for years and they are to blame. He wasn't left any choice. Btw, don't get me started about health reform.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 10:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:He hasn't accomplished anything yet and they are giving it to him because he talks nice for crissake!

This doesn't happen too often, but I agree with you 100% -- this is the silliest Nobel Peace Prize in quite some time. :???:

Aside from putting us in debt for the next 3 generations all he's done so far is to increase the unemployment rate to the highest level in 50 years. Yeah I know, it would have been worse......

If you ask me, Obama's credentials for an economics Nobel are better than his qualifications for a peace Nobel... and that's not saying he has much!
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 2:35 am

Superglide wrote:Thank you both for the welcome. :)

Obviously the slow and laborious life back home has tempted you back!

How are you and the Food Monster?!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 3:04 am

Let me tell you, I also got the noble peace prize! :lol: :P and rewarded too! Though I would have to check the date in my little black book :wink: Hey superglide one of the oldies, how's it going over there?
Hope you stay with us, liven the place up a bit. I sure miss some of the oldies, I think one of my favorites was ??? it's coming :oops: damn......I'll be back!

Though my opinion is the noble prize is an award for his commitment to civil service in a high racial community, fair play to the guy, my only worry is that it sets him up as a prime target for nationalists, let's be honest and discuss American politics not achievements, political strategies are not so far away from business strategies!

Trust me, he has been fingered, he needs more protection now than ever before in my opinion.
I want him to succeed, it's good for the whole world, and if he fails in the USA he can move to the UK :lol: Mmm wonder what the policy is!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 7:14 am

Since when do people get rewarded with million dollar prizes just because they talk a good talk? (provided, that is, he has his teleprompters turned on and his script writers working) He cannot string two sentences together on his own. I still think he's just a figurehead for Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid. Discussion politics doesn't affect the man on the ground. Accomplishment does. The only thing he's accomplished so far is to alienate about 20-30% of those who voted for him. Economically? Guess it depends on POV doesn't it. The academic will support him, but the man in the street is the one who will be paying the fines OR higher costs for medical insurance provided he's still employed that is. And provided he can still pay his mortgage (even if he didn't borrow 110% of the equity of his home, if he's been out of work for a couple of years he's still down the crapper.

Academics say it would be a lot worse. Academics said the bailout would solve all the problems, and you want to believe academics? Nah. I want to see positive facts. When you bite off more than you can chew, you are bound to get indigestion or worse.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby aargon » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 8:11 am

I think its a bit too early to be giving Obama a nobel prize. Hes only just started, it should be awarded to him at the end of his career when he can reflect back on his achievements.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 8:27 am

aargon wrote:it should be awarded to him at the end of his career when he can reflect back on his achievements.

Obama is elected and a few months later there are no longer armed guards with machine guns protecting my kids' school. Just by being elected there was a paradigm shift ~ the world became a little more peaceful. It might be more accurate to give the award to the people who elected him, and not to the man himself, since it was his supporters that really got him there, but that's just splitting hairs. I no longer have machine guns pointed at me when I go to the Club to meet friends for lunch; this one tiny, little change speaks volumes for how the world reacted to his election. I guess the nomination committee and I see it the same way ~ just by virtue of being elected he has done more than most to make the world safer, the election itself was the accomplishment.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby aargon » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 8:45 am

Yeah, thats very true. Each and every voter that voted Obama made a difference, not just to america, but to the rest of the world. So I guess I owe my thanks to the american people (those who voted democrats that is) for helping re-direct the world to a more peaceful place.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 9:19 am

As the President of the US its in his bl@@dy job description to promote world peace!

He's only doing his job........ but not even done it yet!

It's all wrong, all wrong i tell you. I am a fan of him, but this was WAY too early for something he might not accomplish and there must be a more deserved winner at this stage.