Singapore Expats

Any expats stay in HDB ?How do feel staying in HDB

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Any expats stay in HDB ?How do feel staying in HDB

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 12:56 pm

compare to condos or landed houses?

Seem like most expats either stay in condo or landed property here in sg.

I am stay in HDB flat . My blk here , I do see a few european staying around in my place here.

but lately didn;t spotted them.

one of my neighbours told me they have shift to stay in the condo at bukit timad there .I know that places alot of expats staying.
same like holland V..ect place where most expats spotted.

I am seldom see europrean people stay in hdb

so curious here .
if you happen to stay in HDB how u find it ?the envoirnment ?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Any expats stay in HDB ?How do feel staying in HDB

Post by ksl » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:11 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:compare to condos or landed houses?

I am stay in HDB flat . My blk here , I do see a few european staying around in my place here.

one of my neighbours told me they have shift to stay in the condo at bukit timad there .I know that places alot of expats staying.

so curious here .
if you happen to stay in HDB how u find it ?the environment ?
Just like home, very friendly neighbours, that bring our washing in if it rains, have a drink with the local shop keeper now and then, actually he's mixed but born here and always lived here...There are plenty of friendly people, I also have some Indian friends, only know the grandmother, mother and kids, but I often chat with them....I gave up the California fitness and go to the local gym now too.

Condo's remind me of UK housing in size, like chicken huts, compared to what we have 150 sq mtr....so no condo for me, thank you very much! Condo's are also the quickest way to end up in negative equity too, if you buy at the wrong time, which many have fallen victim to.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:38 pm

ksl wrote:
SGBoyxxx wrote:compare to condos or landed houses?

so curious here .
if you happen to stay in HDB how u find it ?the environment ?
Just like home, very friendly neighbours, that bring our washing in if it rains, have a drink with the local shop keeper now and then, actually he's mixed but born here and always lived here...There are plenty of friendly people, I also have some Indian friends, only know the grandmother, mother and kids, but I often chat with them....I gave up the California fitness and go to the local gym now too.

Condo's remind me of UK housing in size, like chicken huts, compared to what we have 150 sq mtr....so no condo for me, thank you very much! Condo's are also the quickest way to end up in negative equity too, if you buy at the wrong time, which many have fallen victim to.
cool because I noticed expats seem hardly spotted staying in HDB

mostly in condo or landed property.

so which part in sg you stay? :wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:59 pm

Last year I celebrated my 10th year in our HDB flat that I bought on the resale market just after the financial meltdown of '97. I am also a member of our residents committee as well. There are quite a few 'whities' in HDB flats now as more and more realize that they aren't so bad and usually the older estates have all the amenities you could want including good bus & MRT/LRT links. What I really like is the fact that through 2 recessions and the current depression my flat is still worth more than 100K more than what I paid for it. I hate living in and HDB flat. I would hate living in a condo for the same reason though. I'm a farmboy and unless I can run out the front or BACK door into the grass barefooted, I'm not happy. I'm also not happy being incarcerated every night (at least that's what it feels like with locked bars on the doors & windows). What to do? 3 more years tops! Then it's fishin' pole & isky full of beer sittin' on the dock fishing. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 12:38 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Last year I celebrated my 10th year in our HDB flat that I bought on the resale market just after the financial meltdown of '97. I am also a member of our residents committee as well. There are quite a few 'whities' in HDB flats now as more and more realize that they aren't so bad and usually the older estates have all the amenities you could want including good bus & MRT/LRT links. What I really like is the fact that through 2 recessions and the current depression my flat is still worth more than 100K more than what I paid for it. I hate living in and HDB flat. I would hate living in a condo for the same reason though. I'm a farmboy and unless I can run out the front or BACK door into the grass barefooted, I'm not happy. I'm also not happy being incarcerated every night (at least that's what it feels like with locked bars on the doors & windows). What to do? 3 more years tops! Then it's fishin' pole & isky full of beer sittin' on the dock fishing. :cool:
I'm a farmboy and unless I can run out the front or BACK door into the grass barefooted, I'm not happy.
And no underpants :P

Yeah I know how you feel, any chance of buying 200sq meter by the river for a reasonable price that is:oops: Lancaster in UK I would also call countryside, I could go out at weekend with my guns and lurchers hunting, and we had the best salmon river for years, but not anymore, all gone, and almost impossible to get a gun licence, even for an instructor.

I'm very happy for you SMS but our age don't take it for granted that we are healthy or well, we are degrading every day, and like any other kind of Insurance, they know the odds of survival are not in our favour, otherwise they would not be in the business, so i would advise a full scan of the whole body, its worth it for sure, if you have never had it. My old man got prostate cancer when he was in his early 60's, but he was okay until he was 84 when he died, they didn't start chemo until he was 83, that's what i believe speeded up his departure.

I never trust doctors, I do my own reading and research....they are just like any other industry occupations of care be it cars, motorbikes, home deco, builders and so on, so the more you learn and understand, the more chance of survival.

S---T I have complained to the wife our bed mattress needs a good cleaning, bed mites i think, my arse feels like a bloody dart board, because i sleep in the nude! Not only feels, but looks like a dartboard too :oops:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 6:11 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: I hate living in and HDB flat. I would hate living in a condo for the same reason though. I'm a farmboy and unless I can run out the front or BACK door into the grass barefooted, I'm not happy.
This must be a guy thing because my husband says the best thing about living in a B&W is being able to pee on the lawn :roll:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 7:19 am

Yeah, I reckon it is. It's a lot less exposure for us to do sumtin' like that's. It's also not quite so obvious as having your knickers down around your ankles and skirt bunched up around your waist. But then again, as you already know, wide open spaces, especially your own, allows you to not worry so much about what the neighbours might think. (Although in the summertime with a river in your front yard one might have a lot of gawkers)!

And yeah, I hear you on the B & W's! I lived in 'em for 15 years myself. Especially the ones with heavy foliage (like yours, I believe). :wink:

How's the new pup doing? Out of Quarantine yet?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 7:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Out of Quarantine yet?
2 more days :D

He's just great, thank you. I can't wait to get him home where he belongs. He's darling, a real gem. It's hard to follow in the big dog's pawprints, but this little guy is just wonderful. I really pity people who never develop that bond that comes with the love of a good dog. When they look up at you and say with just a glance: 'What's next? Because I'd follow you anywhere'. Well, that's just about as good as it gets :)

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:07 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Last year I celebrated my 10th year in our HDB flat that I bought on the resale market just after the financial meltdown of '97. I am also a member of our residents committee as well. There are quite a few 'whities' in HDB flats now as more and more realize that they aren't so bad and usually the older estates have all the amenities you could want including good bus & MRT/LRT links. What I really like is the fact that through 2 recessions and the current depression my flat is still worth more than 100K more than what I paid for it. I hate living in and HDB flat. I would hate living in a condo for the same reason though. I'm a farmboy and unless I can run out the front or BACK door into the grass barefooted, I'm not happy. I'm also not happy being incarcerated every night (at least that's what it feels like with locked bars on the doors & windows). What to do? 3 more years tops! Then it's fishin' pole & isky full of beer sittin' on the dock fishing. :cool:

so now you are staying in landed property or plan to ? :oops: ???

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:20 am

SGBoy, I still live in my HDB flat.

I will continue to do so until I leave Singapore. Hopefully that will be about 3 years from now if all goes well. (I'll will have been here 30 years and have had enough so I will be retiring) I will then go back to the US where I have a 100+ hectare waterfront farm to enjoy my retirement on. Singapore is a great place as long as you are working, but not so great if you are living on a fixed income as it's expensive and noisy due to traffic and smelly due to to vehicle density and Indonesian forest burnings every year.

With the noise and traffic and expense it's not conducive to relaxation which I've worked a long, long time to get to. It's been a good run but the last 7 years have been rough for a number of reasons.

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:59 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:I do see a few european staying around in my place here.
How do you know they're European?

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:05 am

teck21 wrote:
SGBoyxxx wrote:I do see a few european staying around in my place here.
How do you know they're European?
:oops: from their accents they speak .

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:08 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:SGBoy, I still live in my HDB flat.

I will continue to do so until I leave Singapore. Hopefully that will be about 3 years from now if all goes well. (I'll will have been here 30 years and have had enough so I will be retiring) I will then go back to the US where I have a 100+ hectare waterfront farm to enjoy my retirement on. Singapore is a great place as long as you are working, but not so great if you are living on a fixed income as it's expensive and noisy due to traffic and smelly due to to vehicle density and Indonesian forest burnings every year.

With the noise and traffic and expense it's not conducive to relaxation which I've worked a long, long time to get to. It's been a good run but the last 7 years have been rough for a number of reasons.
:wink: true .I know many expats come to singapore work.
All comment singapore is a great place to work
nice foods.

but if thinking of retirement is not a good place .

well even I am a pure local singaporean here I have do agreed.

I can forsee my future next time.
Alone living in the peigon hole as usual.
Ya kinda sad. :lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 2:34 pm

I live in an HDB flat too, not that I could afford to rent a condo or landed property...which I share with other expats...and expats, I mean, people not living in their country of origin, not those on generous expat packages from their companies.

Our current flat is actually quite nice but having pipes above my head while I'm on the can kinda perturbs me. I mean, what if there's a leak?!? :o

I also miss having a lawn; having a space where you could do dirty, messy activities and projects and still have a clean, tidy space to have your meals without cleaning up right away.

The HDB flats are quite nice and quiet...if you're on a high floor. We moved flats; from 14th to second floor. Now, the local school buses wake me up in the morning before my alarm goes off. :mad: But at least it's a short trip when the ice cream man comes. :D Or when you're late for work. :shock:

I've lived in a flat where it's just a no-nonsese, no frills housing project and also in if-you-add-a-fence-security-a-gym-and-a-pool-in-the-compound-it'll-pass-for-a-condo type of flats. So unless the price for a condo unit is very, very, competitive, I will settle for an HDB flat. I don't know about buying one yet, though. Still not sure how long I'll be staying here. :?

HDB's...they're a mixed big, have their broad spectrum, and have a little something for everyone. :roll:

@SGBoy,

You don't have to be alone. Find a girl, get hitched and then, make more local Singaporeans

:P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 3:31 pm

nakatago wrote:I live in an HDB flat too, not that I could afford to rent a condo or landed property...which I share with other expats...and expats, I mean, people not living in their country of origin, not those on generous expat packages from their companies.

Our current flat is actually quite nice but having pipes above my head while I'm on the can kinda perturbs me. I mean, what if there's a leak?!? :o

I also miss having a lawn; having a space where you could do dirty, messy activities and projects and still have a clean, tidy space to have your meals without cleaning up right away.

The HDB flats are quite nice and quiet...if you're on a high floor. We moved flats; from 14th to second floor. Now, the local school buses wake me up in the morning before my alarm goes off. :mad: But at least it's a short trip when the ice cream man comes. :D Or when you're late for work. :shock:

I've lived in a flat where it's just a no-nonsese, no frills housing project and also in if-you-add-a-fence-security-a-gym-and-a-pool-in-the-compound-it'll-pass-for-a-condo type of flats. So unless the price for a condo unit is very, very, competitive, I will settle for an HDB flat. I don't know about buying one yet, though. Still not sure how long I'll be staying here. :?

HDB's...they're a mixed big, have their broad spectrum, and have a little something for everyone. :roll:

@SGBoy,

You don't have to be alone. Find a girl, get hitched and then, make more local Singaporeans

:P

:wink: :lol: girls? want to find there is lot out there in singapore.
I heard that the girls population in singapore is actually higher than the guys!

But finding a good girls is hard.Like searching a needle in the sea .

actually in my area here toapayoh.There is a few condo presentlly and new one is coming up soon.