nakatago wrote:* I am not from the west, though I admit subscribing to some of their ideologiesx9200 wrote:Am I the only one here who thinks that to large extent this the right way for the society like this bearing all its cultural and historical burdens? Many "Westerners" think that their way of living should be imposed unconditionally over everybody. IMO the political system of Singapore, even with all its clear limitations serves better this society than any of Western, fully democratic systems would.nakatago wrote:About the government, I think SMS has been very vocal about it, that the PAP is practically THE government (opposition? what opposition?!? the leader is in exile!) and the same government has its control deeply entrenched into people's personal lives.
* If political system => constitution, I agree. It's the Singaporeans that set it up, after all
* But why is voicing views opposite from those of the government so maligned?
* I'm not saying they do an 180, just suggesting that wouldn't it better to listen to the other side instead of "criminalizing" them (ditto for more freedom of speech)? Isn't multiple point of views better than just one so everyone would see what just one can't?
* However, I do agree that sometimes the SG government has to take a more active role in its people's lives (e.g. graciousness, speak english campaigns).
* On the bright side, technology is making the world smaller, making communications easier. Healthy exchange of ideas occur all the time (like what we're doing). The youth is hopefully, being made aware of different ideas. More rounded education for Singaporeans are opening to new ideas and different points of view. Singapore, as a sovereign country, is very young. Some countries have already gone through similar phases but made mistakes. Their histories, documented and easily accessible. Hopefully, the exposure will help them define society's future, make them realize if they're making the same mistakes and avoid them.
But I am surprised our dear LKY always been invited by other countries ministers to give advice how to manage the country , give ideas to improve ..ect
ya I do admit he is a wise guy seriously also a cunning ones