Singapore Expats Forum

New here and ya I am a pure singaporean here

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 7:19 am

Occasionally I get lucky and beat you to the punch. Bit it's getting harder and harder to accomplish! :lol:

User avatar
SunWuKong
Regular
Regular
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue, 08 Sep 2009
Location: Sengkang
Contact:

Postby SunWuKong » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 7:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:He just lost his way enroute to the hardwarezone that's all.


Thanks sms, I was trying to remember the name of that forum.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby Zeenit » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 9:16 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
SGBoyxxx wrote::oops: :wink: just want to be friendly here guys

by the way I do feel interested how expats in sg feel about living in sg ect

altought I am singaporean here I do also feel there is pro and cos of sg

yup nothing is perfect in this world

:wink:


Take it all easy and not get offended too quickly. Expats including myself tend to criticize Singapore and locals get sometimes offended but in 99% of the cases this is just misunderstanding. Criticizing does not mean saying that something is worse or inferior. Usually means that something is different to what we got used to and we are all conditioned by our own cultures. Sometimes I just can't help myself. You may want to read the thread on culture shock but again, do not take some opinions expressed there too personal or better say nationalistic.




don;t get mistaken I am very open minded next I feel great and welcome ppl come to sg work and stay here

become singaporean.

Well we must be thankful you have taken the time to welcome us to Sinagpore :roll: and also been Open minded :P

I must agree with Saint, must be half term this week :lol:

just that we need some feedback on how to improve the country more :)
Zeenit

irvine
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon, 15 Dec 2008

Postby irvine » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:55 am

SGBoy, tell us... what do you appreciate about Singapore?

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby SGBoyxxx » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 11:28 am

irvine wrote:SGBoy, tell us... what do you appreciate about Singapore?



last time when I was a young boy I do like singapore

after went for my Ns and working

Now I do have pro and cos about singapore.

I don;t blame the country I like the country .

but I don;t like some of the systems suggested by the gov

yup to be fair in every countries no gov is perfect?agreed with me?


for me nowadays I feel kinda bored in sg but good points is stable here.

maybe I didn;t haven;t go out travel around the world and see maybe my mind haven;t widen .

sorry for my poor english here.

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Postby econoMIC » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 4:35 pm

Don't worry about your level of English. Still, it would be interesting for us expats to know what you like and dislike about Singapore, not just it is stable but boring or the trains are good but cars are too expensive.

Tell us what you really think about having a one chamber government, racial harmony, filial piety, the education system, about us foreigners coming in and snatching either the gold diggers or the good gals... (a friend of mine once told me jokingly that we come and snatch the best girls, buy the best condos, take the best jobs and leave the scraps to the locals). How do you see your own country and where do you see it heading? What could be improved and why, what is good and why?
a.k.a. littlegreenman

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 5:08 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote::oops: :wink: just want to be friendly here guys

by the way I do feel interested how expats in sg feel about living in sg ect

altought I am singaporean here I do also feel there is pro and cos of sg

yup nothing is perfect in this world


:wink:

What? Singapore's not PERFECT?! Well, DO YOU MIND?! :wink:
Gotta say Sg Boy, that Singa's pretty damned good for expats. It's safe and clean and almost everything is available, There's an oustanding airport and a well-run taxi-service with courteous drivers. The cost of living isn't cheap, but most of us have salaries that allow for this.
There's also this great website where one can give grief and bother to other expats - and locals! SO come on- I've answered your question now how about you answer mine. Do the locals all happily sing the National Anthem? I wonder about this cos it's in Malay and could therefore be a source of mm......discontentment! I think it's a beautiful song by the way!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby SGBoyxxx » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 5:15 pm

econoMIC wrote:Don't worry about your level of English. Still, it would be interesting for us expats to know what you like and dislike about Singapore, not just it is stable but boring or the trains are good but cars are too expensive.

Tell us what you really think about having a one chamber government, racial harmony, filial piety, the education system, about us foreigners coming in and snatching either the gold diggers or the good gals... (a friend of mine once told me jokingly that we come and snatch the best girls, buy the best condos, take the best jobs and leave the scraps to the locals). How do you see your own country and where do you see it heading? What could be improved and why, what is good and why?


:wink: for me this happen every where ..every countries.

I am remb one news is about uk workers?they are very piss off of workers from another european countries come to uk work and snatch their jobs ....?

since u are expat in sg cool I wonder which country you from?
how long you have stay in sg ?
how u find sg ?

for me I know the young generation in sg seem more feel kinda piss with present gov.They want more opposition party to go in .

I am not surprised here just look at japan.

about racial harmony well so far we still can mix with fellow races .
but to be frankly most of us still stick to individual races more.
This is human natural for what I feel.We do respect each others .

about the education system here?
I feel is too stressful for the kids
here is too much on theory side.
for what I feel .

about foreigners come to sntach our job?our girls lol....
well I feel this cannot be prevent .Actually is no singapore , other countries also have foreigners come to work and migrate there.

I don;t feel angry or what an "ang mo" with a local singaporean girls
is the same where asian guy with an " ang mo" girls
I am open minded on this kind of issues

maybe most singaporean mindset still narrow minded.
sometimes you cannot blame them
due to the society which the gov created here.

maybe I am seem talk like a kid ?bear with me ...this is my point of view..maybe I haven;t fully mature yet?lol

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby SGBoyxxx » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 5:31 pm

ozchick wrote:
SGBoyxxx wrote::oops: :wink: just want to be friendly here guys

by the way I do feel interested how expats in sg feel about living in sg ect

altought I am singaporean here I do also feel there is pro and cos of sg

yup nothing is perfect in this world


:wink:

What? Singapore's not PERFECT?! Well, DO YOU MIND?! :wink:
Gotta say Sg Boy, that Singa's pretty damned good for expats. It's safe and clean and almost everything is available, There's an oustanding airport and a well-run taxi-service with courteous drivers. The cost of living isn't cheap, but most of us have salaries that allow for this.
There's also this great website where one can give grief and bother to other expats - and locals! SO come on- I've answered your question now how about you answer mine. Do the locals all happily sing the National Anthem? I wonder about this cos it's in Malay and could therefore be a source of mm......discontentment! I think it's a beautiful song by the way!



lol this is the reason why i join here :wink:
I want to share with expats in here living in sg.

how they feel about sg ya I also be happy to share what a local singaporean feel about expats living in sg and about singapore.

ya correct , I feel safe living in sg .No people will shoot me with guns
since guns is illegal to own in sg

ya the transport in sg is good .as a singaporean myself I Also feel happy why singaporean must own a car?

from my place at tpy I can reach orchard within 10mins ++

even far places like sentosa?vivo city ?that shopping mall

the journey I take by taking mrt take just 30mins ++

even my frd stay at jurong take public transport to orchard is not consider long the journey...I feel in sg 1 hr+ journey is not consider long.

compare to big country like states? I heard if u want to go another place
driving it take more than few hrs to reach a shopping centre?

I am curious how the expats here spend their weekends?

because I do feel kinda bored on weekend don;t know what to do
at most go for a movie , walk around at shopping mall or eat/coffee with frds

if I am alone will be going for a swim .
suft net , watch streaming and listen radio at home
:wink:

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Postby econoMIC » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 6:25 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:
econoMIC wrote:Don't worry about your level of English. Still, it would be interesting for us expats to know what you like and dislike about Singapore, not just it is stable but boring or the trains are good but cars are too expensive.

Tell us what you really think about having a one chamber government, racial harmony, filial piety, the education system, about us foreigners coming in and snatching either the gold diggers or the good gals... (a friend of mine once told me jokingly that we come and snatch the best girls, buy the best condos, take the best jobs and leave the scraps to the locals). How do you see your own country and where do you see it heading? What could be improved and why, what is good and why?


:wink: for me this happen every where ..every countries.

I am remb one news is about uk workers?they are very piss off of workers from another european countries come to uk work and snatch their jobs ....?

since u are expat in sg cool I wonder which country you from?
how long you have stay in sg ?
how u find sg ?

for me I know the young generation in sg seem more feel kinda piss with present gov.They want more opposition party to go in .

I am not surprised here just look at japan.

about racial harmony well so far we still can mix with fellow races .
but to be frankly most of us still stick to individual races more.
This is human natural for what I feel.We do respect each others .

about the education system here?
I feel is too stressful for the kids
here is too much on theory side.
for what I feel .

about foreigners come to sntach our job?our girls lol....
well I feel this cannot be prevent .Actually is no singapore , other countries also have foreigners come to work and migrate there.

I don;t feel angry or what an "ang mo" with a local singaporean girls
is the same where asian guy with an " ang mo" girls
I am open minded on this kind of issues

maybe most singaporean mindset still narrow minded.
sometimes you cannot blame them
due to the society which the gov created here.

maybe I am seem talk like a kid ?bear with me ...this is my point of view..maybe I haven;t fully mature yet?lol


You should stop apologising in every single post. You have nothing to apologies for. So start being a bit self confident please.

Hm, the UK workers being pissed that "foreigners take their job", well that is only the case in the lower class. Fact is this is just propaganda. There are many open jobs which the locals are not keen to take (eg farm work) as they can stay at home and get benefits. They earn the same amount of money but don't have to work then. Thus foreigners from other EU countries come and do the job. What you have to be careful with is that the EU has freedom of movement, meaning you can freely move around EU countries and it is the same as you moving from Yishun to Woodlands to work there. Although they are from a different country, they are not really foreign workers.

I personally love Singapore. Lived there for three years while doing my degree, married a local gal and moved back to London and am hating the place. So I am doing my Masters now and will move back to SG next Summer. I am actually German and Canadian but lived all over, many years in Germany, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan... Singapore is just the best place for myself as for me it is cheap and safe, pretty much what Ozchick said. I mean where else on the planet can I get a condo for that price and am a stone throw from everything I need. Plus the younger generation in Singapore which you are part of I guess is excellent. This generation is asking question and curious, friendly. All the superstition and prejudice with the older generation is starting to go away and I think young Singaporeans are becoming more metropolitan while still having values and etiquette, to a certain extend at least.

I for one spend my weekends in Singapore usually meeting up with friends for Prata at Jln Kayu, going to see Albirex Nigata or the Singapore Slingers lose again, go to Vivo City, listen to live bands at Holland V... Of course I also like to sleep long on the weekend and cook something nice with the wife, have friends over for a bbq or just go for a swim or to the gym. One thing I am disappointed with is that as you said many still stick with their own race. I on purpose avoid this, I would hate being in Singapore and hanging out with a gang of white people alone on the weekend. Of course, most of my friends are Chinese, doh, no wonder given that most of the residents in Singapore are Chinese. As I said before in a thread, mingle lah.

You still did not answer Ozchick's questions about Majulh Singapura. What do you think about languages in Singapore? Do you think it would be better to have more English tv channels so different races start watching each other's programs and start connecting more.

(One personal hint, I don't want to criticise, try to use more punctuation and paragraphs. Your posts are really wild and terrible to read. It is not you language; it is just that it is letters all over the place and you don't know where a sentence stops or starts)
a.k.a. littlegreenman

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby SGBoyxxx » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 8:33 pm

"You still did not answer Ozchick's questions about Majulh Singapura. What do you think about languages in Singapore? Do you think it would be better to have more English tv channels so different races start watching each other's programs and start connecting more.
"

I am a confident guy :lol: just scare mods out there ban me lol

oh I see , so coming to singapore soon next summer think is next yr huh?

Singapura is the traditional name for singapore .
Singapore is founded by a malay sultan.
But it was Sir Raffles who develop singapore.He is smart to notice sg is a great place for shipping

more english channel? I feel is all up to our dear mediacorp.

last few yrs back there is one more public broadcastor is by SPH (Singapore Press holdings).

I am still remb there is more than one english channels to watch beside mediacorp.Sadly SPH have to close their TV broadcast heard that is due to money problem and MDA concern is not wise to have two public tv broadcastor in singapore.

I am feel they just want to monopoly .I am noticed many public business like to monopoly the market here.

actually I am not sure you know?
I have indian/malay frds watch chinese drama.
Because there is subtitles some of them even know chinese .

Even I sometimes watch malay drama or indian movie for fun .Ya I am don;t understand what they speaks but I can understand by reading the subtitles below.

so far I feel we are connecting more.


You watch S league? Albirex Nigata ???

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 9:32 pm

ozchick wrote:Gotta say Sg Boy, that Singa's pretty damned good for expats. It's safe and clean and almost everything is available, There's an oustanding airport and a well-run taxi-service with courteous drivers.


Now I am confused. Apparently not everything you said here can be sarcastic meaning there is no sarcasm at all. So what taxi services do you actually use? :???:

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby SGBoyxxx » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:29 pm

x9200 wrote:
ozchick wrote:Gotta say Sg Boy, that Singa's pretty damned good for expats. It's safe and clean and almost everything is available, There's an oustanding airport and a well-run taxi-service with courteous drivers.


Now I am confused. Apparently not everything you said here can be sarcastic meaning there is no sarcasm at all. So what taxi services do you actually use? :???:


actually so far I still haven;t encounter rude taxi driver
but play cheat ones I do encounter once .

this driver pretend I don;t know the route like to take long route to earn more.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 11:11 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
ozchick wrote:Gotta say Sg Boy, that Singa's pretty damned good for expats. It's safe and clean and almost everything is available, There's an oustanding airport and a well-run taxi-service with courteous drivers.


Now I am confused. Apparently not everything you said here can be sarcastic meaning there is no sarcasm at all. So what taxi services do you actually use? :???:


actually so far I still haven;t encounter rude taxi driver
but play cheat ones I do encounter once .

this driver pretend I don;t know the route like to take long route to earn more.

I did not mean necessary rude but unfortunately I know pretty spectacular cases from the first hand with the driver being reported to LTA. I generally agree with the list of good things said by Ozchick. Only the taxi services do not fit for me here. Reasons:
- they can throw you out of the cab if you are not going to their preferred area (used to live in CCK - it was a horror sometimes to find a driver to take you there from any central area)
- they will not stop running on green if there is a better chance (I guess) to get an "on call" request
- they will not admit they do not know where to go
- they do not know how to drive a manual car with "fuel saving on/off mode" and running low speed on high gear being typical
- they can not read maps so there is no way you can help them if the place you going to is also new for you.
Perhaps few more but these are pretty frequent. I call it bad service.

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Postby econoMIC » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 12:31 am

Haha, one thing you have to know about us expats here is that we know the history of Singapore better than you locals because we are interested in it and you are not really. I am still shocked that 90% of Singaporeans can not differentiate between world war one and world war two, they don't know the years they took place or the parties involved. So you don't really need to tell us about Raffles founding Singapore but we literally want to know how you feel singing your national anthem in Malay? Don't you feel it should be in English so everybody can identify with it, or maybe Chinese as the majority of people is Chinese?

I will be back in Singapore in November actually for a meeting at MAS and EDB. Then again in February but yes, I will move back permanently next September.
a.k.a. littlegreenman


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests