Singapore Expats Forum

How to make Vanilla Mascarpone Sauce

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

How to make Vanilla Mascarpone Sauce

Postby ozchick » Sat, 03 Oct 2009 8:59 am

I've googled this but there are many variations. Can anyone recommend a simple recipe? I need it by today noon though. Serving it with a berry salad and don't want to do the boring whipped cream thing. I can probably 'wing it' but what's powdered sugar? Is that Icing Sugar? Can I use that instead?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Sat, 03 Oct 2009 1:34 pm

How about just whipping the mascarpone cheese with a lil bit of whipped cream, 3 drops of vanilla essence and lil bit of Splenda (or castor sugar)? :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Sat, 03 Oct 2009 1:36 pm

Oh wait... I replied too late.

Hope you got the food "effect" you wanted to achieve ozchick.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 03 Oct 2009 11:29 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:Oh wait... I replied too late.

Hope you got the food "effect" you wanted to achieve ozchick.

Sure did and thanks AG- no thanks to all the slack posters who abandoned me in my hour of need! :wink:
So the Ozchick recipe went like this: Half a tub of Mascarpone cheese at room temp. Mix with an egg yolk and a large dessertspoon of icing sugar, few drops vanilla essence and a half vanilla bean for good measure. Yep, t'was all good. Actually if the truth be known, my recently departed ex has an excellent recipe but I wasn't about to ask HIM was I?! :twisted:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 3:01 pm

Used something very similar to good effect yesterday as the filling for a blueberry pie... but I wouldn't recommend serving ordinary Malaysian eggs raw! Study in 1994:

A total of 331 food samples consisting of 219 raw and 112 ready-to-eat cooked foods were examined for the presence of Salmonella. Thirty-two percent of the raw foods and 17% of the ready-to-eat cooked foods examined contained the pathogen. Among the raw foods, high proportions of chicken pieces (39%), liver (35%) and gizzard (44%) were contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella serotypes were also isolated from dried oysters (86%), prawns (25%), oriental shrimp paste (belacan) containing more than 15% NaCl (11%), beef (8%), leafy vegetables (4%) and bean sprouts (20%). Fourteen percent of the ready-to-eat foods (cooked chicken, beef and prawns) obtained from street vendors were positive. The extent of Salmonella detected in uncooked (66%) and ready-to-eat satay (23%) is of significance.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague